• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LA Radio People who are spending or spent time behind bars

I wonder when the law will catch up with KFI's Bill Handel for his "Buckets of Money" and "Kars For Kids" scams?

What makes you think these are scams?

"Kars for Kids", for example, is a licensed charity and advertises widely on radio, TV and cable. Handel is just a spokesperson; whatever investigation might be going on of the KfK management is not going to affect Handel.

The "Buckets of Money" seminars were cleared of any impropriety about five years ago after an investigation. Again, it appears that Handel is just the paid spokesperson.

Last edited:
Lots of jail birds in this industry. I wonder why?

People have named less than a dozen area media persons convicted of a crime and imprisoned ("behind bars") in a period of many decades; several go back over 50 years.

In the LA DMA, there are about 200 radio and TV stations. There must be, at any time, at least three or four thousand people working in the industry. Over the decades, ten or twenty times as much... maybe as many as 100,000 persons have come and gone in the industry since the 60's.

So the number of people who have been named is a pretty small number. Very small, in fact.

You are just looking for any way to put down the industry and the many fine people in it.

Last edited:
Lots of jail birds in this industry. I wonder why?
I agree with David's comments, there are NOT lots of jailbirds in the Industry. There are a lot of shady characters who work in Broadcasting, and yes many use assumed names which might add to the list but overall a very well behaved group!

Ron Jacobs, jailed on Federal charges for 30 days in Honolulu for 3 mg of Marijuana (one puff), a week and a half before he took over at 93 KHJ.

Billboard Feb 24th, 1973
https://books.google.com/books?id=N...&q=jailed broadcasters in los angeles&f=false

Ron was just a few years' too early. I spent a lot of time in Hawaii in 1972-73, and by then, I don't think the marijuana laws were enforced. It was the first place I'd been where pot smoking was pretty much out in the open. Being young and stupid at the time, I had a couple of very minor incidents that involved Honolulu PD, and they seemed like a very reasonable, low-key bunch. Having grown up in LA, I was used to the opposite - the LAPD.

"Kars for Kids", for example, is a licensed charity and advertises widely on radio, TV and cable. Handel is just a spokesperson; whatever investigation might be going on of the KfK management is not going to affect Handel.

The "Buckets of Money" seminars were cleared of any impropriety about five years ago after an investigation. Again, it appears that Handel is just the paid spokesperson.

http://labusinessjournal.com/news/2017/jun/26/l-vehicle-donation-charity-ordered-shut-down-after/

Everybody involved with Kars 4 Kids should be imprisoned for that awful TV commercial. Yes, I know that isn't illegal, but it should be!

I've got a bridge in Brooklyn, are interested in making an offer?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom