• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SiriusXM Adds The Beatles Channel

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n34152

That is pretty limited for channel though for Sirius XM to have a channel dedicated to one band or 1 artist though.

Kind of wonder what took so long but SiriusXM is adding The Beatles Channel, launching May 18 at 9:09 am ET exclusively on SiriusXM channel 18. Fans can look forward to exclusive programming in collaboration with and fully authorized by The Beatles' Apple Corps Ltd. The Beatles Channel will showcase all-things-Beatles with regular and special programming spanning the history-making careers of the band and its members: John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr. The channel will explore The Beatles' entire career including their hits and deeper tracks, live recordings, rarities, and solo albums, while also spotlighting musicians who have inspired, and have drawn inspiration from, The Beatles.

Paul McCartney said, "I still remember the thrill of when we first heard our music on the radio, but I don't think any of us would have imagined that we'd have our very own Beatles radio channel more than 50 years later. The SiriusXM channel will have it all, 8 Days a Week."

Ringo Starr added, "Great news, The Beatles will have their own channel on SiriusXM. Now you can listen to The Beatles, Any Time at All. Peace & Love."

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n34152

That is pretty limited for channel though for Sirius XM to have a channel dedicated to one band or 1 artist though.

You're not a subscriber, I see, or even familiar with the lineup. SXM has channels dedicated to Bruce Springsteen, the Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam and Tom Petty, as well as channels "curated" by Garth Brooks, Kenny Chesney and Jimmy Buffett that play those artists' music every three or four songs. Additionally, "pop-up" temporary channels -- payola channels, as the folks on the message boards like to call them -- appear when major names have a new record or tour to promote. Those have included Neil Diamond, Kiss, Metallica, Billy Joel and George Strait. The Beatles Channel has a deeper pool of music to draw from than any of those, considering that all four members of the group had solo careers.

What's not mentioned here is that since The Beatles broke up in 1971 that all of their music is pre-1972. That was the issue The Turtles sued SiriusXM over a few years ago. So obviously, Sirius has made some kind of agreement with the band and the label so they don't get sued. Perhaps this channel was designed to prevent a royalty lawsuit from happening. That could lead to an increase in the standard monthly charge, which is allowed under the merger agreement.

What's not mentioned here is that since The Beatles broke up in 1971 that all of their music is pre-1972. That was the issue The Turtles sued SiriusXM over a few years ago. So obviously, Sirius has made some kind of agreement with the band and the label so they don't get sued. Perhaps this channel was designed to prevent a royalty lawsuit from happening. That could lead to an increase in the standard monthly charge, which is allowed under the merger agreement.

Are you saying this channel is something SXM will be paying The Beatles/Apple/whomever for, rather than the usual "legal payola" arrangement? And if so, how do you know that, given SXM's history of ultra-corporate secrecy when it comes to details like this? If Beatles/Apple are paying their way onto the satellites, then an arrangement vis-a-vis royalties must be in place.

Are you saying this channel is something SXM will be paying The Beatles/Apple/whomever for, rather than the usual "legal payola" arrangement?

I have no idea. However, given they were sued by The Turtles for pre-1972, and that's what this is, I doubt they'd do this without handling the royalty issue. How in fact they did it is, as you say, a big secret.

Did anyone lose a channel?

Velvet -- an AC channel targeting women featuring the likes of Kelly Clarkson, Adele and James Blunt -- has been moved from Channel 13 off the satellites and to the SXM 2.0 range, available only to subscribers with newer receivers or internet subscriptions. It's been replaced there by Limited Engagements, a showcase channel for channels on SXM 2.0 designed to get listeners to upgrade their subscriptions. The Beatles Channel will replace Limited Engagements on Channel 18.

Velvet -- an AC channel targeting women featuring the likes of Kelly Clarkson, Adele and James Blunt -- has been moved from Channel 13 off the satellites and to the SXM 2.0 range, available only to subscribers with newer receivers or internet subscriptions. It's been replaced there by Limited Engagements, a showcase channel for channels on SXM 2.0 designed to get listeners to upgrade their subscriptions. The Beatles Channel will replace Limited Engagements on Channel 18.
That happened to Escape but that channel was so popular they had to hire more people just to man the phones. It was cheaper just to bring it back to receivers so people would quit complaining.

Definitely a channel I wouldn't mind losing. I did hear what someone told me was Sirius Love at a Dairy Queen (they only knew it was Sirius but someone here concluded it was Love) and I liked that. Other than that the only AC I would have enjoyed was Yacht Rock.

Are you saying this channel is something SXM will be paying The Beatles/Apple/whomever for, rather than the usual "legal payola" arrangement? And if so, how do you know that, given SXM's history of ultra-corporate secrecy when it comes to details like this? If Beatles/Apple are paying their way onto the satellites, then an arrangement vis-a-vis royalties must be in place.

Given how tightly controlled the Beatles catalog is, I do not doubt that there was a negotiation with some form of additional payment by Sirius to the rights holders.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom