• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How Will Ryan Seacrest Do KIIS-FM and "Live with Kelly" at the Same Time?

"quit watching this CRAP and tell the TV suits to knock it off."

Well the good people of this country recently sent a message to 'dem and all it did was make them more angry, hateful, and thus even less truthful. It is just like some people I've worked with in radio years ago where they look down upon and really have a sick hatred for the people that they are actually working for, their audience be it listeners or watchers. It is an elitist narcissistic mentality of I'm so much better and smarter than all these worthless deplorables, which in reality is the front they must put up to themselves to mask their own insecurity issues and depression.

It is an elitist narcissistic mentality of I'm so much better and smarter than all these worthless deplorables, which in reality is the front they must put up to themselves to mask their own insecurity issues and depression.

The other side does the exact same thing for pretty much the same reason. Nobody is innocent here.

When done right, the technology allow you to do a seamless show. With no glitches, stuttering or missed cues, and you can't tell the difference. Today's listener doesn't like a lot of DJ chatter. There is a lot of great talent (radio veterans) of the past that refuses to accept that.

Some of the best radio I have heard has been tracked.

Some of the worst radio I have heard has been tracked.

It's not the technology, it's the talent.

Some of the best radio I have heard has been tracked.

Some of the worst radio I have heard has been tracked.

It's not the technology, it's the talent.

I don't think it's necessarily the talent, but directions from management to keep their talking as brief as possible. Outside of drive times, the format for music stations now seems to be 3 to 5 songs in a row, with only one short DJ announcement between songs in the middle of the set - no DJ at all either going into or coming out of a stop set. At that point, you have to wonder why they bother having DJs at all.

I've noticed that a few stations are actually adding a bit more DJ chatter. SF's latest incarnation of Oldies - "I Heart 80s @ 103.7" has more chatter than it used to, and I'm sure most of the day is still VTed.

I don't think it's necessarily the talent, but directions from management to keep their talking as brief as possible.

Funny that wasn't a problem for Boss Radio in the 60s. They somehow managed to be entertaining in ten seconds or less.

I was taught that as a dj at a music station my job was to compliment the music. I've always done quick breaks that talk about the artists we play, the promotions we do, the events of our local area, and weather related info when it is important. I will also promote new music we play. I will not ever waste the time of my audience by saying nothing which includes that was a song you already know, my name is, and here is the title and artist of another song you already know. If it ever got to the point where I had nothing of value to say, as I so often hear on so many radio station, I'd just play a jingle or quick sweeper in my talk point. Many of us can say sooooo much more in 8 seconds than these egoistic gasbags that blabber on and on for 40 seconds, most time where they have stopped the music for 20 seconds or longer. Mornings are obviously different but I know the music is the star and I will not ever stop the music for more than 7 seconds, that's about the time people hit another preset.

Funny that wasn't a problem for Boss Radio in the 60s. They somehow managed to be entertaining in ten seconds or less.

Yes - and they were entertaining. But remember that they were talking between every song, and usually talking up the intro, and talking into the stop set - so even if was 10 seconds or less at a time, they were on the air a lot more than DJs now, who talk about 10 seconds every 10 minutes.

Old codger that I am - to me, the Boss Radio (or KRLA, KFWB, etc.) way was what made radio radio. Even FM rock radio in the 60s and 70s had a fair amount of DJ talk, though they didn't talk between songs.

Current music radio is just my MP3 player with commercials, and promotional bumpers. My MP3 player (or Spotify or Pandora) has the advantage of having no clutter at all, and I get to be my own Music Director. Why should I listen to music radio anymore?

http://deadline.com/2017/05/american-idol-revival-abc-1202087368/

Update American Idol is going to ABC this time around. At this time Ryan Seacrest has not been confirmed to return to Idol for the 2017-2018 season.

Idol producers FMNA and CMG/19 Entertainment and creator Simon Fuller started talking about a new installment even before the series had wrapped its final season in April 2016. There were feelers sent out last summer, and Fox, which had a first negotiation right, was pitched. I hear the producers back then offered the same format for the show at the high price point at the end of its run, making it a tough proposition for the network, which felt it was too soon to bring Idol back without significant reinvention. Next, there were on-and-off conversations with ABC. NBC then engaged in negotiations with the production companies about reviving Idol, and Fox soon jumped back into the fray. Then recently, in the run-up to a potential writers strike, ABC engaged FMNA and CMG. The two sides were near the finish line when Fox came back with a serious offer, but the deal ultimately closed at ABC.

ABC has in the extended corporate family Idol host Ryan Seacrest, who just was named co-host and executive producer of the syndicated Live With Kelly & Ryan, produced by WABC-TV and distributed by Disney/ABC. We hear Seacrest, who is now based in New York, had not been part of the Idol negotiations and had not been formally approached about possible involvement in the proposed Idol revival before the deal was made. He is currently focused on Live and his daily radio show, but has expressed publicly his affection for the TV show that made him a star, so he would likely be open to it if scheduling permits.

ABC has tried unsuccessfully to launch a music competition series with a number of shows including Duets and Rising Star.

American Idol was a phenomenon when it debuted and was the highest-rated series on television for nearly a decade.

Radio can be done from anywhere today. That being said, Ryan should be accountable to local issues in LA. Perhaps there are alternate ways he can do that. But basically his LA show is just recycled for hundreds of stations around the country. (So, this means most bits are nationally focused). Perhaps he inserts some local LA infobytes, don't know. But to do a NY-based tv talk show will require a lot of time in
NY, no way around that one.

That being said, Ryan should be accountable to local issues in LA. Perhaps there are alternate ways he can do that.

There is. Anyone who listens to the show knows that he has a co-host: Sisanie. She handles all the local LA stuff, and has been with the show about two years.

Current music radio is just my MP3 player with commercials, and promotional bumpers. My MP3 player (or Spotify or Pandora) has the advantage of having no clutter at all, and I get to be my own Music Director. Why should I listen to music radio anymore?

You can do whatever you want to do. Most music radio stations do different things at different times of the day. In morning and afternoon drive, you get chatty DJs. In other dayparts, they let the music do the talking. Also different formats handle DJ talk different ways. Country and Urban tend to be talkier, AC and rock seem to be less. So rather than make a generalization about radio, give us some specifics that really address the situation.

Radio can be done from anywhere today. That being said, Ryan should be accountable to local issues in LA. Perhaps there are alternate ways he can do that. But basically his LA show is just recycled for hundreds of stations around the country. (So, this means most bits are nationally focused). Perhaps he inserts some local LA infobytes, don't know. But to do a NY-based tv talk show will require a lot of time in
NY, no way around that one.

The show is not "recycled" for the other stations that carry it. The show is put together in "work parts" and distributed by FTP where it is assembled with music, local elements and commercials in each market. The only time, in the past, that the show was live on KIIS was part of the Monday show, with the rest being pre-recorded the afternoon before for the Tuesday to Fricay shows.

In essence, the LA show, most of the time, is constructed just the way it is in any other market. Seacrest himself is really not localized to LA events... his content is based on the kind of stuff that Seacrest is famous for; there is no expectation that Seacrest have the same content as George Stephanopoulos.

(Plus he has a sidkick who does the localization)

Last edited:

The show is not "recycled" for the other stations that carry it.

The show that is being "recycled" here is Idol. I had a party after the last show was on Fox. Ms. Flipper is a huge fan and so twice a week for months on end I had to see teenagers sing songs I've never heard of or butcher the ones I have (that they have never heard of). The "Idols Sing Billy Joel" episode a few years back was especially bad. I am not happy about the whole situation.

The show that needs to be brought back is The Gong Show. At least on that one, when they started singing off key, they were gonged away. Yes!! (Sadly, the genius behind the Gong Show, Chuck Barris, passed away recently).

Last edited:
The show that needs to be brought back is The Gong Show. At least on that one, when they started singing off key, they were gonged away. Yes!!

Seems to me that concept was revived in America's Got Talent. Not with a gong, but with three X's. You get three, and you're gone.

Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest announced today that he will be her co-host on "Live with Kelly & Ryan." He will also continue to do his KIIS-FM Los Angeles morning show, even though both are on the air at the same time.

I assume he will join his radio show already in progress when he wraps up "Live with Kelly & Ryan" at 10am Eastern/7am Pacific. His staff will give live weather, traffic and news updates without him during the 6-7am hour in Los Angeles? And will he record his parts of the 6am hour earlier in the morning? Surely he'll also have to prepare for the TV show. The hour before he goes on TV, he can't be recording a radio show. That will have to be done even earlier, maybe around 3 or 4am Pacific Time, which will be 6 or 7am Eastern Time? So he'll be doing his part of the 6am hour without his West Coast staff, since that will be the middle of the night in Los Angeles?

Kelly Ripa does her show at the ABC studios on Columbus Avenue at West 66 Street. Variety says a radio studio will be built in the ABC Building. But think of the logistics nightmare of trying to do an LA based show from NYC, with most staffers in LA, and Seacrest plus a tech person or two in NYC.
http://z100.iheart.com/onair/thursday/

Well Z-100 the Iheart O&O in New York has Ryan Seacrest radio show at 10am EST . In other words in reality KIIS-Fm is really simulcasting Z-100 at 7AM PST and Z-100 is really the flagship station for Ryan Seacrest.

Well Z-100 the Iheart O&O in New York has Ryan Seacrest radio show at 10am EST . In other words in reality KIIS-Fm is really simulcasting Z-100 at 7AM PST and Z-100 is really the flagship station for Ryan Seacrest.

I don't think that's correct. The "On-Air" show that Seacrest does is different from what they do at KIIS.

http://z100.iheart.com/onair/thursday/

The show is built of workparts, even in LA. While things may have changes to satisfy the logistics of the show with Kelly Ripa, in the past Tue to Fri were recorded in bits and pieces the prior afternoon. Monday was part live and part made of workparts.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/american-idol-reboot-pilots-1202423110/

Update on the the ABC edition of Idol and its effects on other shows that the network had plans on.

ABC has committed to airing roughly 40 hours of “Idol” next season, Variety learned. As such, the network will likely air the show over two nights most weeks, as it did during its 15-season run on Fox. With a March premiere being eyed for “Idol,” Sunday nights — where ABC has struggled in recent seasons stacking dramas after “America’s Funniest Home Videos” — appears to be one possible scheduling option for the show. Monday nights would potentially be free for an “Idol” results show after the end of spring cycle of “The Bachelor.”

That would mean little space at midseason for new or returning scripted series.

ABC ordered 13 drama pilots and 11 comedy pilots for the current development season — more than any other network. Of those, sources tell Variety that only Shonda Rhimes-produced legal drama “Black’s Law” and an untitled comedy from “Hamilton” star Daveed Diggs now appear to be locks. Comedies “Raised by Wolves,” “Household Name,” “Start Up,” and “Libby and Malcolm,” as well as dramas “The Crossing” and “Las Reinas” remain in contention for pick-up at ABC, but had received mixed reactions. Their prospects have not improved with the sudden addition of “American Idol” to next season’s schedule. And with ABC’s upfront presentation Tuesday in New York looming, the surprise pick-up of a massive unscripted property that ABC passed on earlier this year is not a vote of confidence in its scripted-development slate.

You can do whatever you want to do. Most music radio stations do different things at different times of the day. In morning and afternoon drive, you get chatty DJs. In other dayparts, they let the music do the talking. Also different formats handle DJ talk different ways. Country and Urban tend to be talkier, AC and rock seem to be less. So rather than make a generalization about radio, give us some specifics that really address the situation.

I thought I was specific - DJs speaking for about 10 seconds in the middle of 3-5 songs, but at no other time. It amounts to almost no DJ content at all. Haven't been to LA for awhile, but it describes a number of music stations in the SF Bay Area, especially those owned by IHeart. Though I also mentioned that they seemed to be adding DJ content in their most recent incarnation ([email protected]), they did in previous formats - Oldies 103.7, The Bay's 103.7, etc.

I realize I'm probably out of the mainstream these days - as somebody said above, listeners don't want a lot of "chatter." But it gives me (personally) no compelling reason to listen to the radio, except for the occasional stop by 99.7 Now or Wild 94.9, to see what the current hits are.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom