• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How Will Ryan Seacrest Do KIIS-FM and "Live with Kelly" at the Same Time?

I've rarely listened to Seacrest's show, though I did tune him in frequently in the late 90s, when he was live and local in afternoon drive on K-101 here in the Bay Area. No, he wasn't a laugh-riot, but I thought he was engaging and likeable. By coincidence, his current 'chopped and reconstituted' show is now in afternoon drive here on the same frequency and same format, but now called "Star 101.3."

I think the comparison to Dick Clark is apt. Nobody doubted Clark's skill as a host and producer, but his personality was rather bland. Think of him sitting at his little podium in his conservative suit and tie for decades on Bandstand while teens around him danced and gyrated. Of course, nobody knows if Seacrest will have Clark's longevity.

Of course, nobody knows if Seacrest will have Clark's longevity.

He's 27 years into his career. Up against Dick Clark, who did 67 (!) that doesn't look like much, but measured by any other yardstick, Seacrest is a veteran.

Seacrest doesn't do anything for me as a listener or viewer, but that's a matter of personal taste. Wink Martindale and Jim Lange didn't move me any more than Seacrest does...and they are/were certainly talented men with good careers.

What bugs me about the ritual slamming of Seacrest is this suggestion that he somehow appeared out of nowhere and started taking people's jobs. He started in high school with an internship, filled in for a sick jock, earned weekend overnights, got a gig at a smaller station in Athens while he went to college, and then went to L.A. and got a series of gigs that built a career.

People acted as though it was the end of the world when Seacrest replaced Rick Dees at KIIS-FM. The numbers went up. It was supposedly an atrocity that Seacrest replaced Casey Kasem on AT40. But if he hadn't, I doubt there'd still be an AT40.

He's 42 years old---the same age Dick Clark, who started at roughly the same age----was in the early 70s. Nobody was busting Clark for his enterprises (Bandstand, $10,000 Pyramid, New Year's Rockin' Eve) by that stage.

He's 27 years into his career. Up against Dick Clark, who did 67 (!) that doesn't look like much, but measured by any other yardstick, Seacrest is a veteran.

Seacrest doesn't do anything for me as a listener or viewer, but that's a matter of personal taste. Wink Martindale and Jim Lange didn't move me any more than Seacrest does...and they are/were certainly talented men with good careers.

How about Bob Eubanks? I guess he was good-looking as a young man, and kind of smarmy/cute on the Newlywed Game, and entrepreneurial (Beatles concerts, etc.), but on the radio (KRLA), he was just another silly sounding puker without much personality.

The thing Bob, Wink, and Jim all did was broaden their careers beyond radio, and they did it a long time ago, like many of the other names mentioned in this thread. In my view, that's what separated that group of radio talent from the next generation, those who came along in the 80s and 90s. Sure, Rick Dees had a TV show for a while. But there were fewer examples of the "entrepreneurial" people like Dick Clark. Perhaps radio jobs became more dependable than they'd been in the 60s. But with all the complaints I read from talent, who feel they don't get appreciated as much from ownership, my response is why not broaden yourself beyond radio? The best example of this is Jay Thomas, who was able to translate his popularity as a morning radio host to a weekly TV sitcom.

Now the good question is, how is he going to do the American Idol once it starts on ABC and when the show is in season, which I am assuming that they are planning to do from Los Angeles while he does Live with Kelly and Ryan from New York, along with his syndicated radio show. Are they going to have a fill in for him at least 2 days a week, while he is in Los Angeles, and I don;'t know if Kelly Ripa is going to want to do at least 2 remotes a week depending on how many days a week American Idol will be on the air. They won't be able to do it on Tuesdays, as ABC has the Middle and other tv shows that air on Tuesday nights, and what will they do with those shows? The Middle originally was shown on ABC on Wednesday nights, until ABC moved it to Tuesday nights last season. I am sure with his syndicated radio shows he will do it both live and some parts taped delayed while he is doing Live with Kelly and Ryan, and of course there are radio stations that air it on tape delay during a show time of their choosing. And although I have never been a viewer or a fan of American Idol, do really need the show back again so soon after it ended on Fox?

Well Lets hope American Idol, IHeartRadio/KIIS-FM, and Live with Kelly find a good strategy for Ryan Seacrest when the Idol season starts.

Well its kind of like what Steve Harvey, Chris Hardwick and Michael Strahan have to do when they have multiple shows at the same time there's going to be lots of negotiations between multiple owners of TV shows and Talent on how to schedule the appearances of their talent and their contracts.

Well Lets hope American Idol, IHeartRadio/KIIS-FM, and Live with Kelly find a good strategy for Ryan Seacrest when the Idol season starts.

Well its kind of like what Steve Harvey, Chris Hardwick and Michael Strahan have to do when they have multiple shows at the same time there's going to be lots of negotiations between multiple owners of TV shows and Talent on how to schedule the appearances of their talent and their contracts.

I have a feeling that on at least a few shows it's going to be "'Live' On Tape with Kelly & Ryan"

I have a feeling that on at least a few shows it's going to be "'Live' On Tape with Kelly & Ryan"

That could be possible too, but pretty much I believe the show is seen on tape delay, and the only people that get to see the show when it is truly live, are the people in the Eastern Time Zone, and it seen on tape delay for everybody else that are in time zones that are outside of the Eastern time zone. So say if you are in the area of Chicago or St Louis you will see the show on tape delay, then if you are in the area of Detroit or New York City, and you can get to tune in while it is live. Or the other way you can see it live, if you happen to be in New York City, and you get tickets to the show to be in the studio audience.

I suspect it's all been worked out already and is in the contract.

We'll find out when the numbers start coming in.

We will find out, and according to an article written or published on May 9th, it will debut during the 2017-2018 season, so the date will be announced at a later time, and also according to the article they were looking for a host, and judges. And obviously Ryan Seacrest was the obvious choice host for the show, and he started hosting the show on a solo basis in season #2, as with season #1 he co-hosted the show with Brian Dunkleman, that left the show after season #1 and he hosted it solo for the rest of its run of Fox. Either case it still a good question to ask, if we need this show back, or even this soon after it finally ended.

The other interesting angle is that Kelly has really stepped into one here. She is a fading star and Ryan takes over everything he is involved with. It won't be long before the show is Ryan's show and he has real-time auditions to see who will be replacing Kelly.

Well it didn't take too long for my prediction to come at least partially true. I grant you it was a pretty easy one to call, so no Nostradamus award is necessary. And I also concede that this story is from the pages of the National Enquirer, but hey, they were right about Gennifer Flowers and John Edwards.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/photos/kelly-ripa-ryan-seacrest-feud/

The website just teases the print edition, but the print edition goes on to say essentially that due to Ryan's involvement with a revamped Idol and his radio commitments, he would like the show to be moved to LA which has predictably sent Kelly into a tizzy spell and hissy fit, missing work and essentially laying down an ultimatum to the show's producers. If the show goes to LA, she won't be going with it. Ta da, with fading Kelly out of the picture and the show being produced in LA, Ryan will have taken over in record time.

Last edited:
Well it didn't take too long for my prediction to come at least partially true. I grant you it was a pretty easy one to call, so no Nostradamus award is necessary. And I also concede that this story is from the pages of the National Enquirer, but hey, they were right about Gennifer Flowers and John Edwards.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/photos/kelly-ripa-ryan-seacrest-feud/

The website just teases the print edition, but the print edition goes on to say essentially that due to Ryan's involvement with a revamped Idol and his radio commitments, he would like the show to be moved to LA which has predictably sent Kelly into a tizzy spell and hissy fit, missing work and essentially laying down an ultimatum to the show's producers. If the show goes to LA, she won't be going with it. Ta da, with fading Kelly out of the picture and the show being produced in LA, Ryan will have taken over in record time.

Let's consider the source here: The National Enquirer. Pretty good on who's cheating on who...generally very good on who's on their deathbed. But there's a lot wrong with the assumptions here:

First and foremost, LIVE needs to be...live...at 9:00 a.m. Eastern. Move it to L.A. and they're doing the show at 6:00 a.m. local time. Which means the studio audience needs to be in line at....3:00?

I can't find the link at the moment, but someone has already roughed out the schedule of making KIIS-FM, LIVE and American Idol work, and by Seacrest standards, it's not a back-breaker:

*iHeart has already built the studio for the KIIS-FM stuff in the same building where LIVE is produced in New York City. Ryan's been using it since he started LIVE. Generally, the KIIS-FM stuff is done before the TV show. That's Monday through Friday.

*American Idol airs on Sunday night (highest viewing of the week). Seacrest flies to L.A. on Friday after LIVE, rehearses Saturday, broadcasts Sunday 5:00-6:00 p.m. Pacific Time, and is on an evening flight back to New York. Makes Monday morning a little rough, but it's Seacrest. The other possibility is that Ryan stays in Los Angeles and does his part of LIVE on Monday (with Sunday night's "Idol" winner) from L.A. early in the morning and then flies back to New York.

The above is way more likely than Disney risking blowing up LIVE (a cash cow if there ever was one) to move it to L.A.

Last edited:
In addition, Idol is just a 12-week series. I'm sure Kelly had a tantrum. But I bet it's not her first one.

I understand having the co-hosts physically in the same place is important, but it's easier to have them co-host from different locations than moving the entire show to LA.

Plus I saw an article that is talking about that she could leave the show if he gets it moved to Los Angeles as I am seeing that it will be done on Sunday nights at he would have to leave Sunday night after the show, to fly back to New York to be able to do the show on Monday mornings.

Plus I saw an article that is talking about that she could leave the show if he gets it moved to Los Angeles as I am seeing that it will be done on Sunday nights at he would have to leave Sunday night after the show, to fly back to New York to be able to do the show on Monday mornings.

From two posts above yours:

*American Idol airs on Sunday night (highest viewing of the week). Seacrest flies to L.A. on Friday after LIVE, rehearses Saturday, broadcasts Sunday 5:00-6:00 p.m. Pacific Time, and is on an evening flight back to New York. Makes Monday morning a little rough, but it's Seacrest. The other possibility is that Ryan stays in Los Angeles and does his part of LIVE on Monday (with Sunday night's "Idol" winner) from L.A. early in the morning and then flies back to New York.

From two posts above yours:

This whole discussion is essentially proving my initial point, which is that whether or not Kelly knew (and if she was smart, she would have known), that as soon as Ryan became part of the show, the show was essentially transformed into his show with Kelly as a sidekick, not the other way around. She is now the dispensable one.

There is an old story about Otis Redding and his song "Respect". He had written the song and played it in his show. Then about a year later he heard Aretha Franklin sing it and he said "That girl just took my song away from me", which indeed she had. As for Kelly, that guy from Hollywood just took her show away from her.

This whole discussion is essentially proving my initial point, which is that whether or not Kelly knew (and if she was smart, she would have known), that as soon as Ryan became part of the show, the show was essentially transformed into his show with Kelly as a sidekick, not the other way around. She is now the dispensable one.

There is an old story about Otis Redding and his song "Respect". He had written the song and played it in his show. Then about a year later he heard Aretha Franklin sing it and he said "That girl just took my song away from me", which indeed she had. As for Kelly, that guy from Hollywood just took her show away from her.

If Ryan can either get back to New York on Sunday night or do his part of Monday's show live from L.A. (with the value added of having last night's "Idol" winner as a guest), how does that make Kelly dispensable?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom