• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How Will Ryan Seacrest Do KIIS-FM and "Live with Kelly" at the Same Time?

Gregg.

Star Participant
Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest announced today that he will be her co-host on "Live with Kelly & Ryan." He will also continue to do his KIIS-FM Los Angeles morning show, even though both are on the air at the same time.

I assume he will join his radio show already in progress when he wraps up "Live with Kelly & Ryan" at 10am Eastern/7am Pacific. His staff will give live weather, traffic and news updates without him during the 6-7am hour in Los Angeles? And will he record his parts of the 6am hour earlier in the morning? Surely he'll also have to prepare for the TV show. The hour before he goes on TV, he can't be recording a radio show. That will have to be done even earlier, maybe around 3 or 4am Pacific Time, which will be 6 or 7am Eastern Time? So he'll be doing his part of the 6am hour without his West Coast staff, since that will be the middle of the night in Los Angeles?

Kelly Ripa does her show at the ABC studios on Columbus Avenue at West 66 Street. Variety says a radio studio will be built in the ABC Building. But think of the logistics nightmare of trying to do an LA based show from NYC, with most staffers in LA, and Seacrest plus a tech person or two in NYC.

I pondered this, also. What if a 9/11 situation breaks out in either L.A. or NY? Does he speak to the nation from the Kelly and Ryan Show, leaving the L.A. station to play music, or what?

I would think he'll do the Kelly and Ryan Show from 9 a.m.-10 a.m., maybe join the show in progress from his New York studio, then voice track the first hour of the next day's radios show.

Today's announcement tells you everything you need to know about the future of radio and iHeart: Last week they announce they may not make it another year. This week, Seacrest, their Number One talent, announces he'll be squeezing them in with a voice track while he does New York things. Howard Stern and Ryan Seacrest, the two biggest names in radio of the past 20 years, and neither is doing a live terrestrial radio show.

I pondered this, also. What if a 9/11 situation breaks out in either L.A. or NY? Does he speak to the nation from the Kelly and Ryan Show, leaving the L.A. station to play music, or what?

I would think he'll do the Kelly and Ryan Show from 9 a.m.-10 a.m., maybe join the show in progress from his New York studio, then voice track the first hour of the next day's radios show.

Today's announcement tells you everything you need to know about the future of radio and iHeart: Last week they announce they may not make it another year. This week, Seacrest, their Number One talent, announces he'll be squeezing them in with a voice track while he does New York things. Howard Stern and Ryan Seacrest, the two biggest names in radio of the past 20 years, and neither is doing a live terrestrial radio show.

I am not a big Seacrest fan, but I've always admired his work ethic. This guy works, and he has never really "big-timed" anybody on his way up the ladder. I mean, he may have much bigger gigs, but he is still not too big to do the E! network stuff and he never forgot that it is radio that got him all of those TV gigs.

The other interesting angle is that Kelly has really stepped into one here. She is a fading star and Ryan takes over everything he is involved with. It won't be long before the show is Ryan's show and he has real-time auditions to see who will be replacing Kelly.

Today's announcement tells you everything you need to know about the future of radio and iHeart:

Huh? They didn't "announce" anything. It was in an SEC filing. Very different situation.

Last week they also signed their other syndicated CHR morning host, Elvis Duran, to a five year deal. I think the timing of THAT might have been related to this. So any thoughts of Ryan taking over his gig at Z100 are very pre-mature. Unless they switch bases. Hmmm.

Seacrest is their #1 talent in LA, but they have quite a few other top talents.

If there's a 9/11 situation, there are far more responsible people I want to hear from other than a DJ.

Huh? They didn't "announce" anything. It was in an SEC filing. Very different situation.
It made it into the Hollywood Reporter and MarketWatch. Telling the SEC you can't make it seems like an announcement to me.

If there's a 9/11 situation, there are far more responsible people I want to hear from other than a DJ.
I was listening to the Regular Guys in Atlanta when 9/11 happened. They stayed on the air with updates. Howard Stern did the same in New York. Of course the audience looks to familiar voices for reassurance in times of catastrophe. Seacrest will have to say, "Sorry, folks! Busy with TV! But here's a Rhianna track!"

It made it into the Hollywood Reporter and MarketWatch. Telling the SEC you can't make it seems like an announcement to me.

In point of fact, it's not.

. Seacrest will have to say, "Sorry, folks! Busy with TV! But here's a Rhianna track!"

Not necessarily. There are lots of other people who work at KIIS. You're making something up.

I

The Seacrest show is made up of "work parts" which are inserted in each station's programming at the time and position needed. It has been that way for years. He's not "in the studio" doing a live show most of the time. And it's not an "LA" show, either. The station personalization is done separately.

Last edited:
If this morning's "Live" was any indication the answer is "sleeping".

Think I can guess what the "A" stands for.

That is inappropriate. No need for mud-slinging.

BigA simply said that the show has a local statff in LA (that assembles the recorded elements) and does the production and logistics. That includes the imaging for the dozens and dozens of iHeart stations that carry Seacrest in different time zones and even different dayparts.

Were there a major breaking news item, they might even use down-the-hall KFI's excellent resources to report, not folks used to tracking the wwhereabouts of the Kardashians. Or they would hook up with Premiere for coverage.

While voice tracking goes back to the 70's, this method of recording and distribution is the way radio has been doing things now for the better part of a decade. We have high speed internet, and can transfer bits and pieces of shows by FTP automatically. They can be coded so that the local equipment at each staiton knows where to put them, and the integration is seamless.

It sure beats backtiming records or fading instrumentals to "meet" the network in the "bad old days".

Last edited:

If a 9/11 event happens again or a mass shooting in San Bernardino happen again. Wouldn't I heart's Hot AC stations or CHR stations simulcast NBC News Radio (Iheart Production) and AP Radio another Iheart news service for that. Or like David said KFI news staff can step in and take over in a news emergency.

Future of Iheart? KIIS-FM is one of Ihearts top revenue producing stations and number one in Los Angeles. Note some figures will say KIIS-FM is number 2 in the nation for revenue after WTOP in Washington D.C.

Last edited:

The Seacrest show is made up of "work parts" which are inserted in each station's programming at the time and position needed. It has been that way for years. He's not "in the studio" doing a live show most of the time. And it's not an "LA" show, either. The station personalization is done separately.

Here in the Bay Area, Seacrest is on in afternoon drive on Star 101.3 (KIOI), and it is "personalized" to the station. Quite cleverly done - better than most voice-tracked radio shows.

Renel Brooks-Moon was a popular morning drive DJ here (on an iHeart station). She became the SF Giants in-stadium announcer, and apparently liked that more than radio. She ultimately quit radio, but for a year or two, she VTed most of her show, with her sidekick live in the studio.

I always thought that Ryan does the show live on KIIS. In the times I have listened, it sure sounds live. Then the producers lift the interviews and pop culture news from that morning and package it for syndication for all the other markets. I've heard the syndicated version and it sounds tracked. The KIIS show sounds live.

So I was also wondering how he was going to do both. Maybe Kelly & Ryan will actually record the show at 8am so he can go live on KIIS at 9am Eastern time.

I always thought that Ryan does the show live on KIIS. In the times I have listened, it sure sounds live. Then the producers lift the interviews and pop culture news from that morning and package it for syndication for all the other markets. I've heard the syndicated version and it sounds tracked. The KIIS show sounds live.

My understanding is that he was only live for much of the Monday show, and the Tue-Fri show was done recorded on Mon-Thur in the afternoons.

Of course, some of that will now change insofar as logistics are concerned.

Last edited:
Most articles in a newspaper aren't written the day they are published. News shows, like All Things Considered, are recorded throughout the day and are seldom recorded live.

The Seacrest situation be easily managed. Keep in mind, he will most likely have to prep for "Live!" before or after the show on a daily basis as well. Most regular radio listeners (not radio nerds like us) won't be able to tell the difference.

iHeartMedia released the following statement: “Ryan Seacrest is a great multi-platform performer, and we are excited for his new venture back into a regular TV schedule. This is great for his career and great for radio, and we believe his KIIS-FM morning show will benefit from his daily television presence.”

Honestly, though, there's no reason one would make a business decision based on such a hypothetical. At that rate, why allow vacations and "best of" shows to air on stations? Who would address the public then?

IF something like that happened, during that particular hour on a weekday, odds are virtually no one would see him "speak to the nation." The network affiliates would be airing news. Someone else could handle one radio station in one city.

I hope this isn't too long of an excerpt from the Tom Taylor Now newsletter, but the logistics will work like this:
" he’ll appear on the first KIIS hour via recorded drop-ins. KIIS morning co-host Sisanie will keep that 6am hour moving. Then Ryan appears live for the 7am L.A.-time hour" . Seacrest will create his end of the KIIS show from a new radio studio inside the ABC building at 67th Street."

That is a good question, I know that he hosts American Top 40 I was trying to think if he had any other radio jobs, so I don't know is he planning on pre taping a couple of hours say his show is 4 hours long, do the first 2 hours live, and the rest of the 2 hours will be pre-taped. As Live with Kelly and Ripa airs live on East coast at 9 AM, and then airs on tape delay the rest of the time zones.

That is a good question, I know that he hosts American Top 40 I was trying to think if he had any other radio jobs, so I don't know is he planning on pre taping a couple of hours say his show is 4 hours long, do the first 2 hours live, and the rest of the 2 hours will be pre-taped. As Live with Kelly and Ripa airs live on East coast at 9 AM, and then airs on tape delay the rest of the time zones.

The only part that has been live or years has been some of the Monday show. All the rest has been pre-records. Nothing changes but the logistics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom