• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I heard WABD 97.5 all the way in Lake Charles, Louisiana

CosmicMagician

Inactive
Inactive User
It is strange because KFNC is right in Houston, Texas and is a class C station also!! But a few days ago I heard WABD 97.5 all throughout the night time and into the morning, here. I heard their radio show. Not sure what it was called but it started with a "Z". I heard them say "WABD 97.5 Mobile, Pensacola, Biloxi" several times. Brilliant, possibly the farthest station I've ever got on an 1980s Sanyo Stereo.

I was surprised because they were well over 300 miles away. One of the greatest FM DX'ing records ever, perhaps? I also heard KFTX 97.5 in Corpus Christi, Texas. Which is also about 300+ miles away. (Ironically there was no hint of KFNC/Houston even being on the air that night? WABD and KFTX's signals on 97.5 must have traveled through the gulf of mexico and up into the SW Louisiana area? I guess being by the sea is what caused these stations to drift here. I wasn't shocked or anything, but just kind of amazed.)

What a crazy night this had to be.

Last edited:
I was surprised because they were well over 300 miles away. One of the greatest FM DX'ing records ever, perhaps?

No, and by about 2500 miles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_and_FM_DX

Or go to http://forums.wtfda.org/forum.php which is the TV and FM DX club and look at the e-skip and tropo DX that is reported.

When I lived in Quito, I used to hear the closest FM stations, Lima and San Jose, with some regularity at 800 miles to either of them... that was before I put 5 FMs on the air myself and kinda' ruined the band in my neighborhood..

Last edited:
Their morning show is "Zazza Mornings with Cheree" from Melbourne, FL (WAOA-FM/107.1 WA1A) (also syndicated on WZNS/Z96 in Destin). The only DX I have, was around 2-3 years ago, with WZJZ-FM (Y100.1 (Top 40, now Hot AC)) in Ft. Myers/Naples from Brooksville (125 miles away from the transmitter), and I only used a basic car radio.

My biggest FM catch was the former WCGY 93.7 (now WEEI-FM) Lawrence/Boston in Tulsa, OK. I also once got both WRNS 95.1 out of Kinston, NC and WZFX 99.1 Fayetteville, NC in Tulsa.

Now that I live in Missouri, I find Phoenix stations visit me about once-a-year, usually in either late spring or the summer.

I can honestly say I've never heard WABD that far away, but I've got quite a few personal FM DX records that are much longer distance.

There was a massive opening between S TX and Monterrey MX years ago and Birmingham, and I DXed that on my way to work one day.

My personal favorite DX record is KZRR's HD from Albuquerque in Grenada, Mississippi, 952 miles for a tiny little HD signal that held in for probably 15 minutes. Not the longest distance covered, but the fact it was a) HD and b) I was in Albuquerque only two weeks later made it extra special. (Side note: That KZRR HD was impossible to lock onto in ABQ itself, but east of Sandia Crest it was rock solid for nearly 60 miles.)

Not actually sure which record is my longest, I don't really keep notes. I heard a CBC French station (CJMF 93.3 ) from what I believe was Quebec City in Pell City many years ago during a strong line of thunderstorms, and then I had a morning of DX from South Dakota and Nebraska from the Bessemer area near Birmingham. Both of those were in the late 90's.

Down here on the coast I have not had any really amazing DX, but not too long ago there was an opening to south Florida, where I heard Tampa, Fort Meyers and several Miami and Fort Lauderdale stations. Most of the time it seems to be tropospheric ducting along the coast that brings in Dothan, Tallahassee and Baton Rouge but not much from further away.

A few years ago, I was driving from Kansas City to Mid Missouri and got CJFM 95.9 out of Montreal and either WJYE or WSRS at 96.1. Those still aren't quite-as-far as WCGY in Tulsa, though.

That's awesome, Magician.

I picked up a Shreveport station while in Austin. I considered that to be pretty impressive.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom