• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It May Be Time For KZOK To Change Their Logo

The "OK" hand sign has now been co-opted by alt right white supremacists. It now means "white power" I tried to upload an image to illustrate what's going on, but it was the wrong file size. But if you Google "white power hand sign" and click on Images, you'll see it.

I know it meant "OK" back in the '70s. But by the same token, the swastika was once a Hindu good luck sign. But after Hitler took it over, it now means something else entirely and there's no reclaiming it.

So in order to not be misconstrued from a PR and social media standpoint (it would be an embarrassing mess), it might be a good idea to retire the "OK" hand sign logo. It's tragic because it's an iconic logo and it breaks my heart to see it turned into something so awful. But maybe it's time for a logo change.

The problem is that no one aside from a few white supremacists know this sign has been co-opted. Who in the general public does? I had no idea until you brought this up.

EDIT: I looked up the signs. This co-opting of hand signals isn't apparently new. I found some images of gang signs. One of them resembles the OK sign, another gang sign resembles the Texas horns. The traditional 'V' "Peace" sign also is a gang sign.

Last edited:
After a little more thought on this, if it becomes an issue, I'm sure KZOK could find another logo that would fit their station and format.... It wouldn't be the first time a local (or any) station updated a logo or symbolic type logo. I know KJR altered their logos slightly over the years they played music (for other reasons). I'm sure there are other stations... Just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Yeah, this is completely fake. KZOK is just fine, and they would have been just fine even if it was true, because nobody is going to think that the OK symbol in a station called KZ"OK" means anything but OK.

The "OK" hand sign has now been co-opted by alt right white supremacists. It now means "white power" I tried to upload an image to illustrate what's going on, but it was the wrong file size. But if you Google "white power hand sign" and click on Images, you'll see it.

I know it meant "OK" back in the '70s. But by the same token, the swastika was once a Hindu good luck sign. But after Hitler took it over, it now means something else entirely and there's no reclaiming it.

So in order to not be misconstrued from a PR and social media standpoint (it would be an embarrassing mess), it might be a good idea to retire the "OK" hand sign logo. It's tragic because it's an iconic logo and it breaks my heart to see it turned into something so awful. But maybe it's time for a logo change.

What do you got in that bong Larry? Seriously...you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Put the bong down and breath some fresh air.

A little history here. KZOK was orginally KTW-FM. In the 70's it went to a progressive rock format under the new calls KZOK, but was called "OK 102 and a half". SRO, (Sterling Recreation Organization, later called "Sterling Realty Organization"), was the owner headed by Fred Danz, who was part of the Danz family that at one time owned most of the land in downtown Bellevue. Danz tried to re-create KZOK in Eastern Washington, with KIOK in the Tri-Cities, also shortened to simply "OK95". Danz sold both properties in the 90's. I believe he also owned other out of state radio stations in the 70's and 80's, but am frankly too lazy to look those up. He was a good man from a good family (anyone remember The John Danz Theater in Bellevue?---same family). When he sold his stations he took care of his employees nicely.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/obituaries/civic-leader-fredric-danz-dies-at-91/

Last edited:
A little history here. KZOK was orginally KTW-FM. In the 70's it went to a progressive rock format under the new calls KZOK, but was called "OK 102 and a half". SRO, (Sterling Recreation Organization) was the owner headed by Fred Danz, who was part of the Danz family that at one time owned most of the land in downtown Bellevue. Danz tried to re-create KZOK in Eastern Washington, with KIOK, also shortened to simply "OK95". Danz sold both properties in the 90's. I believe he also owned other out of state radio stations in the 70's and 80's, but am frankly too lazy to look those up. He was a good man from a good family (anyone remember The John Danz Theater in Bellevue?---same family). When he sold his stations he took care of his employees nicely.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/obituaries/civic-leader-fredric-danz-dies-at-91/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom