• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 580

Day: Strong WTCM (even though they send most of their juice away from me and straight to Canada)

Night: Weaker WTCM, with others occasionally getting in the mix

A retro entry for deleted 580 KKSU Manhattan KS, the long-time ST partner of WIBW Topeka. WIBW was readable in southern Iowa in the daytime, so was KKSU, just noticeably weaker with its location 50 miles further west.

Also retro: When I was in Mount Pleasant, IA (southeast corner of the state), WIBW was quite weak, but still a reliable daytime regular. And alone on the channel. I never heard KKSU, however. WILL is a lot closer to "Mount P" than Kansas, but their signal was/is basically oriented north-south and mostly doesn't reach Iowa.

Was KKSU a different transmitting facility from WIBW?

I'm not sure.

KKSU broadcast fewer hours than WIBW. When I was in college in Iowa in the late '60s, we also had a carrier current campus station on 570, which effectively blew out 560 and 580. Since we were a small school (920 kids), weekdays, we usually didn't sign on 570 until mid or late afternoon, after classes. Weekends we'd typically be on by around 9am (or when ever we "slept it off" from the night before...lol). So between all of that and being in class, all I personally ever head on 580 days was WIBW. I also did hear WIBW from time to time at night, usually doing battle with CKY. I wouldn't describe it as a regular, however.

Last edited:
We used 570 up the road at the University of Iowa for "KRUI", where I produced a two hour program quite badly for the dorms one semester in the early 80s. KRUI 89.7 was just in the initial application stages then.

Over at Mr. Eduardo's AmericanRadioHistory.com, checking the 1988 listing for KKSU in the Broadcasting Yearbook shows KKSU licensed to Manhattan with 5 kW-D, 500 watts-N. The 500 watt night operation seems to indicate KKSU used a separate transmitter at Manhattan, though the 500 watts were probably only used for late afternoon post-sunset hours in the winter.

Also, I heard the handoff from WIBW to KKSU one afternoon. When KKSU signed on, the signal was noticeably weaker.

Last edited:
WHP Harrisburg from 151 miles away, near NYC. Thanks to the Sangean PR D5. It's hardly there though and it's the second furthest catch from my location. WPRO 630 has it beat by 10 miles

Daytime in NW San Antonio: XEMU is almost local-like.

Nighttime: XEMU is still fairly strong but subject to fading and can often be nulled. In the null, news talker KRFE in Lubbock pops up most often. WIBW is sometimes heard weakly, as is XEAV in Tlaquepaque, which often plays American classic hits. On rare occasions I've heard KJMJ "Radio Maria" in Alexandria, LA, under XEMU.
I got WIBW for the first time the other night in my 2-3 weeks of DXing here in central Texas, north of Austin.
I'm from Kansas and am familiar with that great full-service station, so I recognized its announcers, commercials, sports, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom