• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is it time for the Nostalgia format to move to FM radio?

CosmicMagician

Inactive
Inactive User
I would personally love a Nostalgia station on a modest class C2 or C3 FM radio in my little city. Like the music you hear on KAAM-AM 770 in Dallas, TX. For example.

Also with some soft sixties mellow kind of stuff added in the mix, too. Not just 1930s 40s or 50s. (In example, "Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell, "Everybody's Talkin At Me" by Harry Nilsson, and "Summer Breeze" - Seals & Croft.) I have been looking for a station like this for so long. And if it's on FM stereo it's going to sound good.

Imagine Nat King Cole and Glen Campbell on the same station. This would be an interesting, mellow, chill-out, sophisticated mix.

I would personally love a Nostalgia station on a modest class C2 or C3 FM radio in my little city. Like the music you hear on KAAM-AM 770 in Dallas, TX. For example.

There is nothing "Modest" about a C2 or C3. They are 50 kw at 450 feet and 25 kw at 300 feet respectively. I think you are thinking of a Class A, which is up to 6 kw at 300 feet HAAT.

Also with some soft sixties mellow kind of stuff added in the mix, too. Not just 1930s 40s or 50s. (In example, "Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell, "Everybody's Talkin At Me" by Harry Nilsson, and "Summer Breeze" - Seals & Croft.) I have been looking for a station like this for so long. And if it's on FM stereo it's going to sound good.

Imagine Nat King Cole and Glen Campbell on the same station. This would be an interesting, mellow, chill-out, sophisticated mix.

Unless you have a huge retirement community in your market which is recognized and marketed to by advertisers, this kind of format would get you mostly folks over 60; revenue would be sparse to nil.

I know all those songs very well. I grew up in the era. Being an early radio 'nut' as a kid I pretty much knew every song on the top 40 charts from about 1966 forward through the 1980s when I stopped jocking for sales and management. So, I'd give it a listen here and there if such a station existed here. But I am in the demographic that is not desired by most advertisers.

KAAM is a fine example of the commercial load you could expect unless you are in a big retirement center. I really doubt anyone complains the commercial breaks go on forever on KAAM. If anything, it is the paid talk shows and informercials they are forced to sell to get the revenue they need.

From the sales side (commercials) it would give me nightmares. I'm talking prospecting for advertisers. Those that will want to even hear you out and those that would buy are so slim, so many 'no' answers certainly would make you doubt your abilities and rack up such expense in acquiring an account, I doubt the commission from the sale could ever recover the time and actual expense of gaining the sale. Part of sales is renewals. Having been in a situation selling such a tough format, I can tell you renewals are very rare because it is very hard to get enough people listening in a certain business trade area to produce results. I know there are many folks that might enjoy the format but after years of being ignored by radio, not that many listen to radio as they did even when they are aware of the station. Simply, they don't have the radio habit. Rather, they're big TV viewers.

To get what I mean about renewals: you might spend 20 hours trying to get that 'yes'. That order, say, is $500 and let's say $75 goes to you. You spent money using your car to visit the client to get that order, perhaps several visits. The $75 isn't much (about $3.75 an hour less car expenses), but if they renew, a regular followup visit on your way to get another yes is no big deal...you were going that way anyway. Once you get about 40 of those renewals you start to make some cash and you simply keep replicating the same plan. Sure you lose about 20% of your accounts a year but you're getting new accounts all the time. So, the upfront cost is acquiring each account. If they won't renew, you lose money...lots of it and even if your station has a monthly draw to guarantee you some money, it is generally ultra poverty wages and it is not forever, usually the first few months. Simply put, you could flip burgers and earn what you get for a monthly draw but could likely make more since you could work longer hours. It's impossible to sell advertisers outside business hours.

So, to really put this in perspective, I would love the format on FM. Even AM in my city is okay. But when you look at the struggle to get the revenue (unless in a retirement area), there are so many easier options that show better chances at success, most station owners who can't just shell out cash every month opt for an easier path.

From the sales side (commercials) it would give me nightmares. I'm talking prospecting for advertisers. Those that will want to even hear you out and those that would buy are so slim, so many 'no' answers certainly would make you doubt your abilities and rack up such expense in acquiring an account, I doubt the commission from the sale could ever recover the time and actual expense of gaining the sale.

This is why some stations that do this format have appealed for listener contributions, such as the station in North Carolina. Local sales aren't enough to pay for such a format. One station I know that's trying to do this format with national ads is selling them at such a low rate that it's running much more than an average number of spots an hour. So that's the trade-off. You might get the format on the radio but with so many commercial interruptions that it becomes tedious for the listener.

(In example, "Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell, "Everybody's Talkin At Me" by Harry Nilsson, and "Summer Breeze" - Seals & Croft.) I have been looking for a station like this for so long. And if it's on FM stereo it's going to sound good.

I don't have to imagine this. I've been listening to this sort of thing for many years. For the past two years I've had to be in the car and close enough to Charlotte, or once I found out I could do it at home, online.

The time for the Nostalgia format to move to FM was in the 1980s and 1990s. All those people then in their 50s and 60s driving cars (Buick, Mercury, Lincoln, Cadillac) that were disproportionately sold with FM radios installed.

Today? Way too late. What you're talking about skews a little bit older than what I programmed on AC stations 40 years ago. I was aiming for 37-year-olds then. They'd be 77 now.

KAAM in Dallas, a longtime Nostalgia station, finally threw in the towel for Christian Talk earlier this month.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom