• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is WSNE a Rhythmic AC?

Tomgsinger

Frequent Participant
So yesterday, the folks at Coast 93.3 decided to make quite a substantial change to their format without actually changing their branding. Here are the songs played in the 6pm hour today:
Madonna-Like A Prayer
Lady Gaga-Just Dance
Sia-Cheap Thrills (with the Sean Paul parts included)
Backstreet Boys-As Long As You Love Me
Coldplay-Clocks
Usher-Without You
Green Day- Wake Me Up When September Ends
Alesia Cara-Scars to Your Beautiful
Sublime-Santeria
Kesha-Tik Tok
Zayn-I Don't Wanna Live Forever
*NSYNC-It's Gonna Be Me
Maroon 5-Don't Wanna Know (with the Kendrick Lamar verse included)
Coldplay-A Sky Full of Stars
Christina Aguilera- Genie in a Bottle
James Arthur-Say You Won't Let Go
Panic at the Disco-I Write Sins...

So yesterday, the folks at Coast 93.3 decided to make quite a substantial change to their format without actually changing their branding. Here are the songs played in the 6pm hour today:
Madonna-Like A Prayer
Lady Gaga-Just Dance
Sia-Cheap Thrills (with the Sean Paul parts included)
Backstreet Boys-As Long As You Love Me
Coldplay-Clocks
Usher-Without You
Green Day- Wake Me Up When September Ends
Alesia Cara-Scars to Your Beautiful
Sublime-Santeria
Kesha-Tik Tok
Zayn-I Don't Wanna Live Forever
*NSYNC-It's Gonna Be Me
Maroon 5-Don't Wanna Know (with the Kendrick Lamar verse included)
Coldplay-A Sky Full of Stars
Christina Aguilera- Genie in a Bottle
James Arthur-Say You Won't Let Go
Panic at the Disco-I Write Sins...

Sounds like they did a music test and implemented it.

Oh, it's that simple? Because this is WAY broader and more gold-based, it's hardly the same station! I haven't heard anything older than "Yeah!" on this station in the past year in regular rotation. It had a lot of repetition, powers being spun 100x weekly and not a lot of golds. On either Tuesday or Wednesday they started adding back songs like A Sky Full of Stars, Sing, HandClap, Girls Chase Boys, Brand New etc. that were more hot AC friendly, but Thursday they added back songs from the 2000s, 90s and even 80s that I haven't heard on WSNE (or any Hot AC, for that matter) in ages. Yesterday I heard some NKOTB song and I thought it was a Throwback Thursday segment. Nope. It was essentially a format change. Way more (older) rhythmic material, lower-charting songs like Call on Me and Good News were taken off, and an overall reduction of currents to about a dozen. But a MUCH broader library of recurrents, and golds stretching back to the early 1980s. I even heard Baby Got Back (!!!)

Last edited:
Oh, it's that simple? Because this is WAY broader and more gold-based, it's hardly the same station! I haven't heard anything older than "Yeah!" on this station in the past year in regular rotation. It had a lot of repetition, powers being spun 100x weekly and not a lot of golds. On either Tuesday or Wednesday they started adding back songs like A Sky Full of Stars, Sing, HandClap, Girls Chase Boys, Brand New etc. that were more hot AC friendly, but Thursday they added back songs from the 2000s, 90s and even 80s that I haven't heard on WSNE (or any Hot AC, for that matter) in ages. Yesterday I heard some NKOTB song and I thought it was a Throwback Thursday segment. Nope. It was essentially a format change. Way more (older) rhythmic material, lower-charting songs like Call on Me and Good News were taken off, and an overall reduction of currents to about a dozen. But a MUCH broader library of recurrents, and golds stretching back to the early 1980s. I even heard Baby Got Back (!!!)

In fact, over half of the station's playlist is gold. That is not adult CHR, not even Hot AC. But it is way too rhythmic for mainstream AC. The slogan was changed to "Throwbacks and Hits from the 90s, 2000s and Today".

It sounds like a partial format change and partly a refocus.

How's this for a supposition: they believed they were playing too many currents, including some that were just not strong. Maybe those were the songs that looked right in whatever form of callout they might have been doing, but they came to the conclusion that they were not getting the ratings they wanted because there was no depth.

So they do a test, currents and the possibly compatible recurrents and gold. They find that the older stuff... some of it... tests better than many of the big currents. They decide to cut the currents to fewer an hour, and add in the gold that tested. They target the same demo, perhaps with greater emphasis on the middle to older part of it, and implement so as to focus on maximum scores against them.

Would that scenenario fit what you are hearing?

Remember this is the Boston message board. Did you post it in Providence?

I thought that Taunton was "close enough", no? Rhode Island stations I know aren't allowed, but I thought any station from Eastern Mass was allowed to be discussed in this very forum?

It sounds like a partial format change and partly a refocus.

How's this for a supposition: they believed they were playing too many currents, including some that were just not strong. Maybe those were the songs that looked right in whatever form of callout they might have been doing, but they came to the conclusion that they were not getting the ratings they wanted because there was no depth.

So they do a test, currents and the possibly compatible recurrents and gold. They find that the older stuff... some of it... tests better than many of the big currents. They decide to cut the currents to fewer an hour, and add in the gold that tested. They target the same demo, perhaps with greater emphasis on the middle to older part of it, and implement so as to focus on maximum scores against them.

Would that scenenario fit what you are hearing?
Kind of. From 2014 to Wednesday, WSNE resembled an adult CHR. At one point "Bad Things" was in regular rotation, played as much as 10 times a week once. Their powers were triple-digits, they had moved all songs released before 2003-ish to middays and overnights only, and they jumped on "Rockabye" and "I Feel it Coming" pretty early on. I once heard them play six currents in a row (all of them big CHR hits, and one song "The Greatest" left the rap verse intact). Trust my when I say that it was not during Most Requested Live, Club Kane or AT40. Now you can't even hear three currents and recurrents next to each other without hearing a gold, and hearing three golds in a row is happening. Their slogan was "Southeastern New England's Hit Music Channel", so you should expect at least equal recurrents/golds to currents. They met (and exceeded) that.

I thought that Taunton was "close enough", no? Rhode Island stations I know aren't allowed, but I thought any station from Eastern Mass was allowed to be discussed in this very forum?

looking at their predicted map on Radio-Locator, 75% of their signal is into MA, about 22% into RI, and the remainder into eastern CT.

The Distant signal hits Woburn according to the map, I'll see if it actually does Tomorrow.

Seems to me it is a MA station.... but what do In know ....

looking at their predicted map on Radio-Locator, 75% of their signal is into MA, about 22% into RI, and the remainder into eastern CT.

The usable signal for an FM is just outside the inner circle on the radio.locator maps for in-car, and just inside it for at-home and at-work.

The usable signal is about 60% in MA and the rest is in Rhode Island. But it does not cover adequately the far eastern Providence, southeastern Kent and most of Washington counties in RI. All of Rhode Island and Bristol County, MA are in the Providence radio market (MSA). The station covers southwest Norfolk County, MA, well, but that county is not in the Providence metro. Same goes for western Plymouth County... not in the metro.

Seems to me it is a MA station.... but what do In know ....

It is home to the Providence market, since that market includes the afore mentioned county in MA. The transmitter is much closer to Providence than it is to Taunton. It has a perfect signal in Fall River, but starts to be fringy just when it gets to New Bedford .

Last edited:
And also it isn't "much closer" to Providence. 10-11 miles to Taunton and 7-8 to Providence. Rehoboth borders Taunton, but is three cities away from Providence. I'm sure that WSNE could rimshot Boston if they wanted to.

It did when I used to live just South of Boston, but was still getting the signal when I moved to North of Boston as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom