• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Radio home of your L.A. Chargers

Half of KFI's signal is lost over water. And bad conductivity to the east limits it to the far part of the Inland Empire area in the daytime.

One thing I noticed is their signal never recovered after the antenna incident many years ago..Seems like the replacement is not up to snuff in regards to listening to them here in San Diego

One thing I noticed is their signal never recovered after the antenna incident many years ago..Seems like the replacement is not up to snuff in regards to listening to them here in San Diego

The new tower is shorter, but is toploaded. It should provide quite comparable ground wave coverage. The big difference in the last decade is the horrible increase in man-made noise which has the effect of reducing every AM station's usable coverage.

The new tower is shorter, but is toploaded. It should provide quite comparable ground wave coverage. The big difference in the last decade is the horrible increase in man-made noise which has the effect of reducing every AM station's usable coverage.

You beat me to it, David. I was just about to say the same thing. Between CFL's, LED's, flat-screen TV's, and the latest offender that eclipses them all - indoor grow lights - the noise floor is easily 15 db higher than it was 10 years ago. Part 15? What's that? Then, of course, there's FM HD on the adjacent channels. But don't get me started.

Dave B.

Mr. Eduardo hit the nail on the head with the man made noise comment. I went to Ventura on the 210 freeway few months ago. I listened to and enjoyed K-Surf 1260 for as long as I could I forgot where it was at, but I found out a large part of the 210 became very AM unfriendly.

But where else would San Diego fans go?

Looks like 6 night Chargers games and the rest are afternoon games. Does KFI have a good signal in San Diego during the afternoons?

Most San Diegans can give a rats ass anymore about the Chargers. Now that they are back into losing games one after another there will be even less interest.

Somewhat off-topic, but the Dodgers should be on FM given their TV coverage issues; however, there are very few stations running a format that works well with sports.

Where is Petros! If Petros were doing color I would not miss a game! Also no Fresno affiliate. The Rams have one! Proly' cause no Petros!

Petros is not for everyone, but I am a big fan. He has a great since of humor, but when he does actual game analysis, he brings the meat. He is always well-prepared and is not shy about giving opinions. I don't care if one agrees or disagrees, that is what I want from my color commentator. I want to know what you think, not some milquetoast equivocating so as not to hurt anyone's feelings.

Last I heard, he was relegated to sideline reporting. That is a waste.

I can really see why Petros might not be the preferred choice for a national television broadcast, but I think he would be truly great on a teams "homer" radio broadcast, especially if teamed with Smith.

How dare you kfi how effin dare you. You are a talk station in the 2nd biggest media market in the country. You have no right to b airin any type of sportin event. Robin you should get fired for this. I will call iheart tomorrow and complain. Wish i could start a boycott. I wish kfi tremendous failure with this little adventure into sports. You have a all sports sister station thats where it belongs not on kfi!

Eff you kfi

How dare you kfi... You are a talk station in the 2nd biggest media market in the country. You have no right to b airin any type of sportin event. Robin you should get fired for this. I will call iheart tomorrow and complain. Wish i could start a boycott. I wish kfi tremendous failure with this little adventure into sports. You have a all sports sister station thats where it belongs not on kfi!

AM talkers almost universally do very poorly on weekends, so they are not sacrificing anything. On the other hand, attracting the football fans may result in a few of them listening to the station a bit more.

How dare you kfi how effin dare you. You are a talk station in the 2nd biggest media market in the country. You have no right to b airin any type of sportin event. Robin you should get fired for this. I will call iheart tomorrow and complain. Wish i could start a boycott. I wish kfi tremendous failure with this little adventure into sports. You have a all sports sister station thats where it belongs not on kfi!

Eff you kfi

If the chargers made the Super Bowl, this will affect a maximum of 22 days. Mostly Sundays.

Eff you kfi

You're kidding, right? Tongue in cheek, yes???

You're kidding, right? Tongue in cheek, yes???

Gotta be. Also, our poster must not know that KFI has quite the history of sports broadcasting in LA, being at one time or another the radio home of the Dodgers and Raiders, and I believe (before my time) had other sports properties on as well. Also for many years KNX was "all-news" except when they took time out to air USC football and basketball games, with many of the basketball games airing on winter weeknights.

Last edited:

AM talkers almost universally do very poorly on weekends, so they are not sacrificing anything. On the other hand, attracting the football fans may result in a few of them listening to the station a bit more.

Uh, the WEEKENDS? John and Ken ended an hour early YESTERDAY so this Chargers nonsense could be aired.

Uh, the WEEKENDS? John and Ken ended an hour early YESTERDAY so this Chargers nonsense could be aired.

Very few of the games are on weeknights. And what goes for listening levels on weekends goes for evening and night, too: light listening with a bigger chance to gain new cume than any small loss in the talk audience.

Gotta be. Also, our poster must not know that KFI has quite the history of sports broadcasting in LA, being at one time or another the radio home of the Dodgers and Raiders, and I believe (before my time) had other sports properties on as well. Also for many years KNX was "all-news" except when they took time out to air USC football and basketball games, with many of the basketball games airing on winter weeknights.

CF is correct as to KFI's sports schedule. KFI pioneered football broadcasts from both the Collesium and Rose Bowl in the twenties - one of their early sports announcers was former college football player Don Wilson. He would later go national with NBC and became sidekick to Jack Benny in the thirties. KFI carried the Trojans oir decades and added the Dodgers when station owner Earle C Anthony helped bring them to Los Angeles. Dodger owner Walter O'Malley became part of Anthony's Board; the team remained on KFI until its acquisition by Cox over a decade after Anthony died. At that time the station was also carrycot I believe the Kings, Lakers and Chargers (despite he latter being in San Diego). This was in the early to mid-seventies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom