• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Radio home of your L.A. Chargers

The full press release via the Chargers website:

http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/0...st-agreements-kabc-tv-iheartmedia-los-angeles

KFWB AM 980 will have the Spanish language broadcasts while KLAC + KYSR Alt987 will have 10 hours of gameday coverage in addition to KFI.

(I'm assuming a trimulcast on KFI/KLAC/KYSR when all are available. While not mentioned in the press release, I imagine that the Dodgers get the highest priority on KLAC and would preempt any Chargers coverage, as has been the case since the Dodgers moved to KLAC for the 2012 season.)

KABC-TV Channel 7 will air three Chargers preseason games (the preseason game against the Rams at the L.A. Coliseum on 8/26/17 @ 5pm PT is to be nationally televised on CBS).

KAZA-TV Azteca America 54 will have the Spanish language TV broadcasts of the Chargers preseason games.

As for "regular programming" interruptions, there's really only one of note: the regular season opener on Monday 9/11/2017 at Denver at 7:20 PM PT which would necessitate the preemption of that day's John + Ken Show on KFI (pregame programming would likely begin at 2 PM PT).

The Thursday 11/23/2017 game at Dallas at 1:30 PM PT is on Thanksgiving, so not affecting "regular programming" along with the Saturday 12/16/2017 game at Kansas City at 5:25 PM PT.

LOS ANGELES CHARGERS SCHEDULE - 2017

2017 PRESEASON SCHEDULE

WEEK--DATE----OPPONENT-------------TIME (PT)-------TV
1 Sun. Aug 13 vs Seattle------------5:00 PM--------KABC L.A. CH. 7 / KAZA L.A. CH. 54
2 Sun. Aug 20 vs New Orleans--------5:00 PM--------KABC L.A. CH. 7 / KAZA L.A. CH. 54
3 Sat. Aug 26 @ Los Angeles Rams----5:00 PM--------CBS NATIONAL - KCBS L.A. CH. 2
4 Thu. Aug 31 @ San Francisco-------7:00 PM--------KABC L.A. CH. 7 / KAZA L.A. CH. 54
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE

WEEK--DATE----OPPONENT-------------TIME (PT)-------TV
1 Mon. Sep 11 @ Denver--------------7:20 PM--------ESPN/WatchESPN
2 Sun. Sep 17 vs Miami--------------1:05 PM--------CBS
3 Sun. Sep 24 vs Kansas City--------1:25 PM--------CBS
4 Sun. Oct 1 vs Philadelphia--------1:05 PM--------FOX
5 Sun. Oct 8 @ New York Giants-----10:00 AM--------CBS
6 Sun. Oct 15 @ Oakland-------------1:25 PM--------CBS
7 Sun. Oct 22 vs Denver-------------1:25 PM--------CBS
8 Sun. Oct 29 @ New England--------10:00 AM--------CBS
9 BYE WEEK
10 Sun. Nov 12 @ Jacksonville------10:00 AM--------CBS
11 Sun. Nov 19 vs Buffalo-----------1:05 PM--------FOX
12 Thu. Nov 23 @ Dallas-------------1:30 PM--------CBS
13 Sun. Dec 3 vs Cleveland----------1:05 PM--------CBS
14 Sun. Dec 10 vs Washington--------1:05 PM--------CBS
15 Sat. Dec 16 @ Kansas City--------5:25 PM--------NFL NETWORK
16 Sun. Dec 24 @ New York Jets-----10:00 AM--------CBS
17 Sun. Dec 31 vs Oakland-----------1:25 PM--------CBS

===============================================================================

My comment earlier on rhe KFI comments page - the others replying at the time were all female and negtive

http://kfiam640.iheart.com/articles...e-15777089/?j=1061579&l=3877_HTML&mid=1071540

"Many, many years ago (long before "more stimulating talk" KFI had sports wall to wall - Dodgers, Trojans, Lakers and Kings. If I'm not mistaken they had the Chargers from San Diego for at least a year as well. I listen to KFi today for its current programming and likely will skip the football games, but the return of he Chargers is no reason to abandon listening to what I do now."

Kinda hard to think of a major local radio story that has been greeted with as little anticipation and excitement as this one. Just who will be the broadcaster of the hapless, last place, 5-11 LA Chargers who will be playing in a soccer stadium half the size of most other NFL football stadiums in beautiful Carson California? Even the most inquiring minds don't really care.

Ironically enough though, as I suspected, they ended up with the better broadcast package (at least in terms of broadcast signal and market penetration, if not actual dollars). The KFI/KLAC/KSYR combo is superior to the Rams KSPN/KSWD combo, and was the one I thought the Rams should have gone for given that they had first choice. But I am sure KSPN showed them more $$ than I Heart Chapter 11 could.

Last edited:
In few years, or even less, I predict it will become apparent why LA had no NFL team for two decades. The 'fans' there are not very dedicated and the market seemed so-so in supporting one team much less two. Of the two, the Rams are likely to garner most of the interest because of their prior history in the market. The Chargers had no business moving there. Just petulance because San Diego didn't want to fully subsidize a new stadium. Perhaps the thought was that the Chargers would retain a significant portion of their San Diego fan base, but that is unlikely.

In any case, hopefully the KFI coverage does enable the Chargers fans to hear and enjoy the broadcasts. Not an ideal signal by any measure.

But where else would San Diego fans go?

Looks like 6 night Chargers games and the rest are afternoon games. Does KFI have a good signal in San Diego during the afternoons?

But where else would San Diego fans go?

Looks like 6 night Chargers games and the rest are afternoon games. Does KFI have a good signal in San Diego during the afternoons?

KFI has such a good signal in San Diego that the FCC considered it to be "local" to set the market ownership caps for Clear Channel back in the 90's. It essentially has a 5 mV/m signal over the entire populated part of San Diego County.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KFI-AM&h=D

In any case, hopefully the KFI coverage does enable the Chargers fans to hear and enjoy the broadcasts. Not an ideal signal by any measure.

KFI has better San Diego coverage than most of the local San Diego stations!

Even what is arguably the best local AM signal, KOGO, for years used an FM repeater in NE San Diego county to fill in where they did not reach.

KFI's transmitter is located as close to the San Diego market as it is to the northern parts of the LA market. It has "local" coverage of the LA market, the Inland Empire market, the Ventura/Oxnard market, the Victor Valley market, the San Diego market and most of the Santa Barbara market.

I listen on line to KFI for their live local talk programming. KLAC and KSPN are all sports. Too bad the Chargers play by play has to interrupt their great talk shows. Guess I'll go to KABC or KG0 during the games. When was the last time KFI ran play by play?

KFI's sports era was the sixties and and early seventies. It was ended when Cox bought the station and dumped the Dodgers along with others. Before that it was the king of remote broadcasting, not just sports from the Coliseum and Rose Bowl (both pioneered in the twenties) but from ballrooms and other sports venues as well. In modern times they do remotes from all kinds of venues at will. KFI has access to the same engineering staff used by KLAC and KEIB - all three stations share the same studio complex in Burbank as well as ownership. Engineering play by play with announcers both in the box, the sidelines and the locker rooms etc will not be difficult.

KFI's location for its then-new 50,000 watt transmitter was deliberately chosen by founder Earle C Anthony to maximize coverage from Santa Barbara to San Diego, incidentally including the inland empire as well. Because of its heavy locally originated farm information schedule, including the evening frost warnings via a special line from Pomona in the fall, Anthony wanted to include as much geography as possible.

Last edited:
This is kinda shocking. That said, it makes sense to put it on a station with strong clearance. The name alone carries enough history for people in L.A. to find it. Now the team must win in order for them to benefit from the signal.

From the KFI AM 640 web site (also appears on the Patriot LA 1150 KEIB Web site), a clarification on how they and their sister stations will handle game day coverage:

http://kfiam640.iheart.com/content/2017-08-08-first-la-chargers-game-this-sunday/
http://patriotla.iheart.com/content/2017-08-08-first-la-chargers-game-this-sunday/

FOUR HOURS BEFORE KICKOFF:
Pregame coverage begins on AM 570 LA Sports*

TWO HOURS BEFORE KICKOFF:
Pregame coverage switches to KFI AM 640

LIVE GAME BROADCAST
On KFI AM 640

POSTGAME:
First hour on KFI AM 640
Followed by two hours of Chargers Talk on AM 570 LA Sports*

*In event of a Dodgers game, AM 570 LA Sports' coverage will be carried on KEIB AM-1150

About the broadcast team:

"The finest broadcast team in sports will also be here to help you with Matt Money Smith on the play-by-play, Nick Hardwick as the color analyst.
Shannon Farren will be broadcasting live from the sidelines while Kris Ankarlo covers the pre/half and post-game action.
Beto Duran will host Chargers Talk on AM 570 LA Sports after the game!"
======
Thus, it appears that iHeart will try to limit the interruption to KFI's programming by putting the 1st 2 hours of pregame coverage on KLAC or KEIB and the last 2 hours of the postgame on KLAC or KEIB.
KFI will still have 6 continuous hours of coverage on game days.

Unlike in the original press release from months ago, Alt 98.7 KYSR is not mentioned; perhaps the only way they get involved is with coverage of the team during the week (interviews on the morning or afternoon show, for example) *or* if both the Dodgers and Clippers are playing on a Chargers game day (I know - the stars would have to be super-aligned on some late October-early November day, but the way the Dodgers are playing in 2017, dare to dream!).

On the Chargers web site http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/08/12/how-watch-chargers-vs-seahawks-tv-radio-more under the heading
"How to Watch: Chargers vs. Seahawks: TV, Radio & More", there is a listing of radio stations in the Chargers radio network:

RADIO
Chargers radio can be heard on KFI-AM 640...
Spanish Broadcast: KFWB-AM 980 called by Jorge Villanueva and Tony Alvarez.

Chargers radio broadcasts throughout the season will be able to be heard across nine radio stations from Southern California to Nevada. Fans can listen in English on
KGB-FM-101.5 and KLSD AM 1360 (San Diego), KNWZ-AM-970 (Palm Springs), KNWH-FM-103.7 (Translator) (Yucca Valley), KRLV-FM-98.9 (Translator) (Las Vegas), KRAK-AM-910 (Victorville/Hesperia), KATY-FM-101.3 (San Bernardino) and KPLY-AM-630 (Reno).

Spanish broadcasts can be heard on XHFG-FM-107.3 (Tijuana/San Diego).
======
Thus, in essence, the Chargers have only traded frequencies in the San Diego market, picking up 101.5 while leaving 105.3 KIOZ.

Upon further review:

The radio station list above is incomplete, being as it leaves out simulcasting stations and originating stations for translators.
See complete list below:

KFI-AM-640 Los Angeles + KOST-HD2-103.5
KFWB-AM-980 Los Angeles (Spanish language)
KGB-FM-101.5 San Diego
KLSD-AM-1360 San Diego + KGB-HD2-101.5
XHFG-FM-107.3 Tijuana-San Diego (Spanish language)
KNWZ-AM-970 Coachella + Translator K271CI-FM-102.1 Banning
KNWQ-AM-1140 Palm Springs + Translator K232CX-FM-94.3 Desert Hot Springs
KNWH-AM-1240 Yucca Valley + Translator K279CO-FM-103.7 Yucca Valley
KRLV-AM-1340 Las Vegas + Translator K255CT-FM-98.9 Henderson, NV
KRAK-AM-910 Hesperia
KATY-FM-101.3 Idyllwild-San Bernardino, CA
KPLY-AM-630 Reno, NV

I listen on line to KFI for their live local talk programming. KLAC and KSPN are all sports. Too bad the Chargers play by play has to interrupt their great talk shows. Guess I'll go to KABC or KG0 during the games. When was the last time KFI ran play by play?

I am not positive but i dont think KFI can stream games online.

Yes, they do!! But it does seem to "power down" about 9-10 at night.

I listened to part of the game on KFI last Sunday, just to see how silly Shannon Farren would be. Also, KFI was simulacast on 1360 KLSD

KFI has better San Diego coverage than most of the local San Diego stations!

Even what is arguably the best local AM signal, KOGO, for years used an FM repeater in NE San Diego county to fill in where they did not reach.

KFI's transmitter is located as close to the San Diego market as it is to the northern parts of the LA market. It has "local" coverage of the LA market, the Inland Empire market, the Ventura/Oxnard market, the Victor Valley market, the San Diego market and most of the Santa Barbara market.

What a boomer of a signal KFI has! Amazing coverage, and that is during the day. It has to be one of the biggest in the country, yes?

What a boomer of a signal KFI has! Amazing coverage, and that is during the day. It has to be one of the biggest in the country, yes?

Not really. Look at WBAP in Dallas, WHO in Des Moines, WSCR, WGN, WBBM and WLS in Chicago for vastly greater coverage, followed by stations like WOAI in San Antonio, and then a number of regionals like WNAX, KFYR, WMT in the upper great plains and KLIF in Dallas among quite a few others located on the high ground conductivity areas of the Midwest.

Half of KFI's signal is lost over water. And bad conductivity to the east limits it to the far part of the Inland Empire area in the daytime.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom