• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is the 95.5 Move Into Town Dead?

RoddyFreeman

Walk of Fame Participant
The last time we discussed whether WSBB-FM/95.5 would get its CP to move to the New Street site in Atlanta, Jabba posted part of an FCC response that mentioned Cox's AJC ownership as the obstacle.

Today someone told me the application has been dismissed by the FCC because of short spacing rules. It does appear on FCC.gov that the application was dismissed.

Does anyone know the story on this? Is 95.5's move into Atlanta dead?

The last time we discussed whether WSBB-FM/95.5 would get its CP to move to the New Street site in Atlanta, Jabba posted part of an FCC response that mentioned Cox's AJC ownership as the obstacle.

Today someone told me the application has been dismissed by the FCC because of short spacing rules. It does appear on FCC.gov that the application was dismissed.

Does anyone know the story on this? Is 95.5's move into Atlanta dead?

Short-spacing with a co-channel or adjacent station? Both 94.9 and 96.1 are third-adjacents, but I don't know if the FCC is still considering short-spacing with a third-adjacent an issue anymore. What might the problem co-channel or first/second-adjacent station be?

I do remember that part of the holdup with the 95.5 move-in was the fact that the coverage area of 95.5 would then overlap the coverage area of 104.1, and THAT is what triggered the need to re-up the AJC cross-ownership waiver since Cox's media concentration in part of the metro would increase by one station, plus the AJC and Channel 2. With 104.1 moving around (and their recent imbroglio with the FCC over it) maybe Cox is leaving 95.5 alone for now.

Since 104.1 is now moving north to Douglas County, does overlap with 107.1 now become a factor?

Short-spacing with a co-channel or adjacent station? Both 94.9 and 96.1 are third-adjacents, but I don't know if the FCC is still considering short-spacing with a third-adjacent an issue anymore. What might the problem co-channel or first/second-adjacent station be?

I do remember that part of the holdup with the 95.5 move-in was the fact that the coverage area of 95.5 would then overlap the coverage area of 104.1, and THAT is what triggered the need to re-up the AJC cross-ownership waiver since Cox's media concentration in part of the metro would increase by one station, plus the AJC and Channel 2. With 104.1 moving around (and their recent imbroglio with the FCC over it) maybe Cox is leaving 95.5 alone for now.

Since 104.1 is now moving north to Douglas County, does overlap with 107.1 now become a factor?

Cox is leasing 107.1. It's owned by Woman's World.

As far as I know, 95.5, 94.9 and 96.1 have a grandfathered clause to allow short spacing. The New Street App died on the vine because of ownership/coverage overlap issues. (Apparently caused by Cox owning WSB-TV and the AJC....and of course several other stations.)

I would not be surprised to see the 95.5 app come back if/when the FCC modifies its ownership regs.

Cox is leasing 107.1. It's owned by Woman's World.

I thought LMAs counted just like an owned station...?

This Wiki article is confusing on the LMA issue, but apparently the current lack of overlap between 104.1 and 107.1 does factor in, at least for now. 107.1 has a CP to actually reduce coverage southward. Not sure if that's related to the goings-on with WALR or the 107.1 cochannel translator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTSH-FM

Last edited:
As far as I know, 95.5, 94.9 and 96.1 have a grandfathered clause to allow short spacing.

Now I remember that--you're correct. That came up with their original move-in.

The application is not dead. While 95.5 is shortspaced to 94.9 and 96.1, the short spacing existed prior to 1964 when the FM spacing rules were first established by the FCC. Those stations can ignore the short spacing to each other when doing upgrades but the move of WSBB to midtown Atlanta also required the modification of a 95.5 FM station near Anniston, Alabama and the 95.7 station at Greenville, GA. Greenville downgraded from 25,000 watts to 6,000 watts and moved much closer to Columbus so it's out of the way.

Cox could not get a grant on the 95.5 application as long as the newspaper-crossownership FCC rule is in place but its expected the FCC will act on modifying or doing away with the rule at their May meeting and yesterday one FCC Commissioner stated at the National Association of Broadcasters Convention going on now in Vegas that the rule is outdated and no longer logical especially since the internet is not given any weight in determining media control in a market area. Cox Atlanta operation was even cited by Commissioner O'Rielly as a great example of how one entity owning radio, TV and the daily newspaper can actually improve public services of each spectrum and especially the newspaper.

The WSBB application was dismissed when the Anniston 95.5 station didn't pay its FCC regulatory fees. The FCC canceled their permit and the WSBB permit as they were contingent upon each other. Cox quickly paid the past due fees and requested reinstatement. As long as that reinstatement is pending, the application spectrum is being protected.

The cross ownership rule as it exists now prevents Cox from moving any FM signal close enough to Atlanta that the 60 dBu contour covers 100% of the city limits of Atlanta which is where the newspaper is published. WALR has attempted to move in closer by downgrading to 50,000 watts but the 104.1 frequency causes problems for the Atlanta Airport radio systems and that application was withdrawn. It does appear from a spacing standpoint, WSRV could move closer, especially if it were to downgrade but the biggest payoff to Cox with the rule going away, no doubt, would be the ability to move the 95.5 signal to midtown Atlanta.

It would be interesting to know the breakdown of listenership to 750 AM and 95.5 FM. If the move of 95.5 takes place, rural areas east of Atlanta and outside the radio market will lose the signal but metro areas west of Atlanta
will get a big increase. Smart move for Cox.

The application is not dead. While 95.5 is shortspaced to 94.9 and 96.1, the short spacing existed prior to 1964 when the FM spacing rules were first established by the FCC. Those stations can ignore the short spacing to each other when doing upgrades but the move of WSBB to midtown Atlanta also required the modification of a 95.5 FM station near Anniston, Alabama and the 95.7 station at Greenville, GA. Greenville downgraded from 25,000 watts to 6,000 watts and moved much closer to Columbus so it's out of the way.

Cox could not get a grant on the 95.5 application as long as the newspaper-crossownership FCC rule is in place but its expected the FCC will act on modifying or doing away with the rule at their May meeting and yesterday one FCC Commissioner stated at the National Association of Broadcasters Convention going on now in Vegas that the rule is outdated and no longer logical especially since the internet is not given any weight in determining media control in a market area. Cox Atlanta operation was even cited by Commissioner O'Rielly as a great example of how one entity owning radio, TV and the daily newspaper can actually improve public services of each spectrum and especially the newspaper.

The WSBB application was dismissed when the Anniston 95.5 station didn't pay its FCC regulatory fees. The FCC canceled their permit and the WSBB permit as they were contingent upon each other. Cox quickly paid the past due fees and requested reinstatement. As long as that reinstatement is pending, the application spectrum is being protected.

The cross ownership rule as it exists now prevents Cox from moving any FM signal close enough to Atlanta that the 60 dBu contour covers 100% of the city limits of Atlanta which is where the newspaper is published. WALR has attempted to move in closer by downgrading to 50,000 watts but the 104.1 frequency causes problems for the Atlanta Airport radio systems and that application was withdrawn. It does appear from a spacing standpoint, WSRV could move closer, especially if it were to downgrade but the biggest payoff to Cox with the rule going away, no doubt, would be the ability to move the 95.5 signal to midtown Atlanta.

It would be interesting to know the breakdown of listenership to 750 AM and 95.5 FM. If the move of 95.5 takes place, rural areas east of Atlanta and outside the radio market will lose the signal but metro areas west of Atlanta

Would 95.7 WAGT Trion/Rome be a problem with 95.5.

Thank you for the excellent explanation.

I have also been curious about how the 95.5 vs. 750 numbers breakdown. Does the far west metro listen more to 750? Or, is 750 as dead as the rest of the AM band?

I have also been curious about how the 95.5 vs. 750 numbers breakdown. Does the far west metro listen more to 750? Or, is 750 as dead as the rest of the AM band?

Only Cox can request a breakout of the single line reporting by the AM and the FM (competitors have to pay, and it is relatively expensive).

I thought LMAs counted just like an owned station...?

Indeed they do. WTSH counts as Cox's fifth Atlanta FM.

I don't think it affects anything other than potentially blocking Cox from buying another Atlanta station. The FCC uses Arbitron/Nielsen market definitions, and Nielsen considers WTSH and WALR to be Atlanta stations regardless of whether or not they overlap.

Considering newspapers are going down the tubes these days, they really do need to get rid of that cross-ownership rule.

Only Cox can request a breakout of the single line reporting by the AM and the FM (competitors have to pay, and it is relatively expensive).

The breakout report is available monthly to Cox on any given month 80% of the ratings come from the FM side metro wise.
Art

Would 95.7 WAGT Trion/Rome be a problem with 95.5.

According to the WSBB application, they have a slight directional null to the northwest to pull back off WATG. Interesting to see 20% of the audience still listeners to the AM. 20% of their total audience is still a pretty big number but I am guessing 95.5's weaker signal west of Atlanta but still in radio market may account for a great deal of it. If the soil conductivity weren't so bad around Atlanta, WSB(AM) will have a much much better signal. Granite is a very poor conductor. There are 5000 watts AM stations in the midwest which have a much larger signal than WSB(AM).

I was driving on I-90 in South Dakota, and 1240, a (former) class IV local/"graveyarder" station in Pierre, SD about 65 miles away, boomed in like I was right next to it.

I live in Northlake and have no problem getting WSB-AM . . . on my toaster.

WSB AM compromised their signal back in the eighties when they decided to build a shopping center around their transmitter. The ground system is embedded under the parking lot. Since it get little rainfall to improve conductivity, it may as well be an insulator. And we know clay is no good as a conductor.

I listen to WSB on 95.5 from Anderson County, SC all the way to Atlanta when driving south on I-85. I would hate to lose that signal, although I may understand why they want to better serve metro Atlanta. But 750 comes in about the same area, although sometimes a bit of static to the Georgia line. Good news and traffic reports, although I still miss Neal Boortz.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom