• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Looks Like There Really Is A New Sheriff in Met Park West

A

AQH

Nobody has asked about FITZ? Since last week FITZ is not on 100.7 the FITZ 100.7 anymore. FITZ.

I am definitely no expert when it comes to radio, but they are toast without Fitz. I don't see how this show can go on without the main attraction. Would the BJ Shea show be what it is without BJ Shea?

"After 12 years holding down the morning show on Seattle’s 100.7 The Wolf, Fitz has moved on to new challenges, and we wish him the very best.
The search begins today for The Wolfs next great morning show. In the interim, Ellen Tailor will host a music intensive program each morning with support from Randy Stein."

I am definitely no expert when it comes to radio, but they are toast without Fitz. I don't see how this show can go on without the main attraction. Would the BJ Shea show be what it is without BJ Shea?

A dozen years is a good run, but the issues are beyond the morning show. The Wolf signed on as something fresh, something different. They haven't evolved, KMPS has. That's why it has been advantage KMPS for almost a couple of years now.

A dozen years is a good run, but the issues are beyond the morning show. The Wolf signed on as something fresh, something different. They haven't evolved, KMPS has. That's why it has been advantage KMPS for almost a couple of years now.[/QUOTE

What is this world coming to when I agree with AQH - Cats and Dogs sleeping together what's next Gozer the Gozarian as a Stay Puff Marshmallow man?!?

A dozen years is a good run, but the issues are beyond the morning show. The Wolf signed on as something fresh, something different. They haven't evolved, KMPS has. That's why it has been advantage KMPS for almost a couple of years now.

That is true. They also have a tracked midday host, who has on more than one occasion identified the station by the wrong branding. For all who said that the merger wouldn't affect The Wolf, are you so sure?

The writing seemed to be on the wall a couple years ago, when Entercom dropped his simulcast in Portland. They also stopped pushing his syndicated show. Don't know what happened, but this isn't a recent decision. Although the ratings sure haven't been in his favor either.

LOVE the armchair QBing here.
First off, the station is NOT toast without Fitz. Ask Mary White what she thinks about it. Ellen is keeping the chair warm for the next morning show.
Second, the merger has nothing to do with this. The Wolf has been languishing for years now and something had to change since Mike Preston wasn't getting the job done.

LOVE the armchair QBing here.
First off, the station is NOT toast without Fitz. Ask Mary White what she thinks about it. Ellen is keeping the chair warm for the next morning show.
Second, the merger has nothing to do with this. The Wolf has been languishing for years now and something had to change since Mike Preston wasn't getting the job done.

They won't be toast if the new PD can find a new formula that brings the wolf brand back to relevancy. What I don't understand is why they still have Ellen and Randy hosting the show if the intention is to bring in an entirely new morning crew at some point. Not to mention, the search for a new morning show may not be pretty (we all remember what KMPS went through when they had a revolving door of morning programs a number of years ago).

Really? So he's really NOT the perennial "Best in Western WA" morning guy? I would never have known.

And HOW LONG has this station been "all new"?

Somehow, especially now that KMPS and KKWF are owned by the same people and with Fitz gone, I see the format wheel spinning at 100.7 sometime soon...

Somehow, especially now that KMPS and KKWF are owned by the same people and with Fitz gone, I see the format wheel spinning at 100.7 sometime soon...

If The Wolf goes away, then the staff at Rock 98.9 should start getting familiar with artists such as Dan + Shay, Blake Shelton and Kelsea Ballerini.

If The Wolf goes away, then the staff at Rock 98.9 should start getting familiar with artists such as Dan + Shay, Blake Shelton and Kelsea Ballerini.

Thanks for making and substantiating my point exactly. Just another failed attempt at another poorly executed format in Bellevue by the powers that be. They just keep piling up the bodies over there in Eastlake. 98.9 is like that one strip mall where nothing can ever make a successful go of it. First it was a nail salon, then a deli, then it was a dog washing spa. NOTHING works in that location.

98.9 is like that one strip mall where nothing can ever make a successful go of it. First it was a nail salon, then a deli, then it was a dog washing spa. NOTHING works in that location.

Actually, 98.9 has never been any of those formats.

It was retail background music, then Big Band, then Easy Listening, then a pioneer AAA, then Easy Listening (again), then Smooth Jazz, then an Alternative/AC hybrid and now Classic Rock.

98.9 did well as KEZX with the smooth jazz format. Click was OK to listen to, I used to listen to it now and then when my car stereo still worked.

I looked 98.9's six-plus, and they're not dropping. Right next to KIRO-AM and nobody's calling that station an abysmal failure.

What about Alpha picking up one of the country signals from the CBS / Entercom merger and all of a sudden FITZ is back and everyone who came out bashing him after he left will be eating some serious crow...

98.9 did well as KEZX with the smooth jazz format.
No, it never "did well" with the smooth jazz format.

I looked 98.9's six-plus, and they're not dropping. Right next to KIRO-AM and nobody's calling that station an abysmal failure.

Many of us have said this before: Published 6+ ratings, are not indicative of how a station is performing from a ratings perspective, let alone where it counts..revenue. This is especially true with classic rock, where the demographics skew older every month.

Sports stations are far less concerned about ratings anyway, because they frequently take advantage of the agency dollars from garnering a coveted 18-34M audience, with automotive and beer buys being the payday.

Last edited:
No, it never "did well" with the smooth jazz format.

Many of us have said this before: Published 6+ ratings, are not indicative of how a station is performing from a ratings perspective, let alone where it counts..revenue. This is especially true with classic rock, where the demographics skew older every month.

Sports stations are far less concerned about ratings anyway, because they frequently take advantage of the agency dollars from garnering a coveted 18-34M audience, with automotive and beer buys being the payday.

I'm well aware of the uselessness of 6+, which is why I brought them up. If 98.9's REAL ratings suck that bad, perhaps someone in the know here could say so, without even giving out the numbers.

I see a lot of talk here about how the station 'sucks', but no one says whether they are doing well in the demo or dropping like a rock. The last mention of their performance was in late 2016 when it was implied they were doing OK for a new Classic Rocker.

Thanks for your response, though. Much appreciated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom