• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can This be Done Legally?

Ai4i

Star Participant
Can a translator originate content on an HD subchannel?
If so, can a translator translate its master AM station on an HD subchannel
and originate content on its FM and HD1 channel?

A translator can be paired with an HD channel and translate it. That happens routinely, making the translator a defacto radio station.
If a translator is paired with an AM station it has to "translate" the AM 100%. There's nothing to prevent airing the same programming on an FM subchannel and getting a second translator out of the deal.
We have close to that situation near Knoxville, TN. WIJV on 92.7 has a translator on 107.3. They simulcast on 1240 and have a translator for it on 94.7, so they have 2 translators for the same programming, in addition to the original FM. There's no HD2 involved but you get my drift.

Its done here in Minneapolis...3 fold

WDGY 740AM (Wee Gee) Hudson, WI is a 5KW daytimer only. They are also heard on 2 translators. 92.1 in St Paul (80 watts due to a 92.1 in the NW burbs of Minneapolis) and 103.7 (250 watts) in Hudson. Both were moved during the big FM translator "swap" when stations could move translators up to 250 miles away from their original city of license. They are ALSO on a HD sub of a station owned by some one else. KTMY-HD2 (owned by Hubbard Broadcasting) and have been for a couple years now. So technically the HD transmitter we could say is the "originator" due to AM740 being a daytimer

The AM is the only station that signs off at night. They do the sign off then right after the AM goes kaput they start a new song that can be heard on the HD and the 2 translators.

If a translator is paired with an AM station it has to "translate" the AM 100%.
I think this is the simple answer to my simple question.

Where only one AM station and one translator exist,
that translator must translate that AM station,
only that AM station, and nothing but that AM station.
Correct?

When I mentioned having an HD subchannel,
I only meant having one on that translator,
no other FM station would be involved in my scenario.
I only wanted to know if the owner of a standalone AM who gets a translator
could sneak in a second revenue stream
without leasing any part of any other broadcast facility.

Last edited:
So technically the HD transmitter we could say is the "originator" due to AM740 being a daytimer

A daytimer can have a 24/7 translator. In other words, the studio can feed the translator even when the AM is off the air, without the translator having to "rebroadcast" the AM. In fact, nearly all translators for AM stations are fed directly, not via the AM signal.

The translator does not have to be off when the AM is off, but when the AM is on it must carry a perfect simulcast of it.

Last edited:
...when the AM is on it must carry a perfect simulcast of it.
Exceptions to this might be that the AM station would not have to run supplementary signals such as
C-QUAM or HD stereo, RBDS, time codes, or orange alerts in order for the translator to translate the master station in stereo,
or do any of those other things, maybe even including the slipping in of an SCA stream or two.
I do not know whether these guys are in stereo, but I doubt that their AM is.

Last edited:
Exceptions to this might be that the AM station would not have to run supplementary signals such as
C-QUAM or HD stereo, RBDS, time codes, or orange alerts in order for the translator to translate the master station in stereo,
or do any of those other things, maybe even including the slipping in of an SCA stream or two.
I do not know whether these guys are in stereo, but I doubt that their AM is.

A "simulcast" is generally the term used for program content... the audio only.

That's correct. What audio mode a station runs in, does not apply as a requirement to an FM translator. An authorized AM station with a FM translator, can direct-feed audio to the translator. That, and trying to carry the off air audio from an AM directly, would mean the FM translator would sound like poop. (technical term)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom