• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kiss 104 Planning Transmitter Site Move

Kiss 104/WALR-FM has a construction permit to move to a tower south of Villa Rica in Douglas County. The location is north, northwest of the current site in Newnan.

Several years ago, Cox Corporate had someone whose job was improving facilities. He obtained a construction permit for Kiss to move to the 107.9/96.7 tower in Tyrone. From the coverage map, it looked like the signal would have been more intense in the city of Atlanta but far smaller than the current signal. That move would have allowed for WVFJ-FM/93.3 to improve its signal toward Atlanta. WVFJ was granted a CP for their signal boost contingent on WALR moving.

Apparently Cox Atlanta engineering management did not agree with the move to the Tyrone site and stalled. After 3 years, the length of the WALR CP, WVFJ asked the FCC for permission to implement their own CP even though Cox had not moved WALR. The FCC agreed with WVFJ, and the WVFJ changes required WALR to be degraded from a C1 to a C0 and drop its power to 60KW. WALR protested vehemently, saying they tried to make the move but that Fayette County was not allowing Cox to make the tower slightly higher to mount the antenna. The protest letters became almost funny, sounding kind of like a high-school kid protesting being expelled from school.

The new WALR move will enable 104.1 to regain its C1 classification. Antenna height will be a little lower, but the signal will be directional. Coverage of Atlanta looks to be almost as good as it is now.

Looks like a tiny increase in coverage in the northern burbs. Directionality looks very slight to due north.

Wasn't WALR licensed to Palmetto before their current city of license?

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WALR-FM&s=C

Is this an existing tower?

Looks like a tiny increase in coverage in the northern burbs. Directionality looks very slight to due north.

Wasn't WALR licensed to Palmetto before their current city of license?

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WALR-FM&s=C

Is this an existing tower?

I don't recall if it was licensed to Palmetto, but it might have been. Of course, before the power increase from 60KW to 100KW, WALR-FM was licensed to LaGrange. There is a tower at that site, which you can see from the satellite view at Radio-Locator.

Last edited:
I don't recall if it was licensed to Palmetto, but it might have been. Of course, before the power increase from 60KW to 100KW, WALR-FM was licensed to LaGrange. There is a tower at that site, which you can see from the satellite view at Radio-Locator.

Thinking more about it, Palmetto might have been the new CoL of the CP that was never built.

I'm told by someone who knows more than I that the C0 status is what WALR lost no matter what they do, and that C0 is 100KW with at least 1,000 feet. So I suppose the purpose of this move is to keep the 100KW, which would have needed to be rolled back to 60KW at the current site. But I'm not an expert on this. Maybe an engineer will chime in.

Is this going to be a new tower or an existing tower? If new tower, wounder if we wouldn't see a few more moves from Cowetta to Douglas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom