• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

First Impressions On Signing Up For Live365

I signed up for a station on the resurrected Live365 and the link to the player should be visible in my signature. I thought it best to post my first impressions in a new post rather than risk stepping on anyone's toes by using their thread.

So, here are my thoughts less than one day in.

The site is very different from what it used to be. I can't find any of the old forums, and I get the distinct feeling they're gone for good. The maximum bit rate for MP3 files is 192 kps, not 128. I know this because I have several songs that are playing just fine that I uploaded at 192. The newly redesigned player is nice as it displays artwork appropriate for songs when available.

The smallest package runs $59.99 a month if ad supported and $79.99 if ad free. I went with the latter option. This, of course, reflects the current rate structure for internet radio. It kind of stinks that so many of us have been priced out of the game, as it were. I'm just grateful it's something I can still afford.

Uploading files is a breeze. All I had to do was drag and drop them, then tag them as music files. I then double checked the metadata for each file.

The Auto DJ function is nice, as is the event scheduler. The old software for broadcasting live is gone, but there are clear instructions on using other programs.

I had several questions I asked before signing up and two different customer service representatives were both very good about answering them politely and promptly.

I may have more to say about the service as time goes by and will use this thread to do so.

The stream, as I said, should have the player link visible in my signature. The format is oldies/classic hits from the early 1950s through the early to mid 1970s. The most recent record I've added to the rotation so far is from 1975. All the recordings are the original LP or single mono mixes (and edits, where appropriate).

I hope that I've helped at least a few people who may have wanted this information.

The smallest package runs $59.99 a month if ad supported and $79.99 if ad free. I went with the latter option. This, of course, reflects the current rate structure for internet radio. It kind of stinks that so many of us have been priced out of the game, as it were. I'm just grateful it's something I can still afford.

Those prices are now somewhat steep for no-contract/prepaid phone service...but they cover everything.

How would you compare the new Live365 to say Mixlr or Stream Licensing etc.?

I am hearing they have a Pro package where if you join radiocoalition.org, your fee to SoundExchange would be a flat $500 per year. You would still be responsible for royalties to ASCAP/BMI/SESAC based on your monthly TLH and there would be no fee from Live365. Supposedly Radio Coalition does all of the required paperwork for you as part of your membership which is $150 / year.

R

Last edited:
I just tried your station and got "Offline. Please try again later." Live365 isn't 24/7 anymore?

The service itself is 24 / 7, but there are TLH limits on some of the broadcasting packages. So he may not stream his station all the time or his TLH liimit was reached.

R

I personally like the new setup, though I was not around for the old Live365. I didn't like the auto dj function too much, as it is either 100% random shuffle or hand picked playlists. No clock feature to set up specific playlists in an order. So I left and went to streamlicensing for less than a month and found out that they are not in compliance with ASCAP, BMI or Sound Exchange only SESAC considers them compliant, that info is directly from the agencies them selves, so I went back to Live365 using SAM broadcaster cloud to automate my station and relay to their server. I am happy with it so far, still working out some if the kinks but all in all satisfied www.alternativemedicineradio.com

We are using Live365 streaming live. We easily loaded music and other programming. The nice feature is that if for some reason our live feed fails Live365 rolls over to the pre-loaded music and then restores itself when the stream restores. We are set for 1500 TLH to augment our LPFM. Not to be bothered with monthly payments we requested a quote for a year with no ads. Service and follow-up to questions has been great.

Okay, so I clearly haven't been active lately on the boards here. That said, I am back on Live365. It took me a few tries to figure out how things work there but I did get the hang of it. Right now I'm in Auto DJ mode with 80 uploaded tracks that total just under four hours. It's a mix of records from the 1950s through 1970s, with some killer Christmas songs to celebrate the holiday. I can verify that everything is active because I'm listening right now. Between the use of the "Big Iron" preset from Breakaway One and the 128 kps bit rate, it really sounds like 1960s AM radio, I think. The link should show in my signature.

As before, all the records are original mono mixes, single/radio edits and such. I've got some fairly rare mono singles in rotation as this is being written. I'm up now to 3000 records that will rotate every ten weeks at 300 per week.

Nice to see another user of Breakaway One!

R

Sounds good. Nice seque between the old Percy Faith version of Sleigh Ride and 4 Tops Reach Out. They both had that clip-clop horse-y rhythm. LOL It would be interesting to know if on the ad-supported version of Live, do the breaks come at random times where they would fall in the middle of a song, or are they programmable?

Sounds good. Nice seque between the old Percy Faith version of Sleigh Ride and 4 Tops Reach Out. They both had that clip-clop horse-y rhythm. LOL It would be interesting to know if on the ad-supported version of Live, do the breaks come at random times where they would fall in the middle of a song, or are they programmable?

We send ad trigger metadata if we are in Live mode, so no song interruptions.

Here's mine: http://player.live365.com/a80469

R

Last edited:
Well, here I am again. I have once again restarted on Live365 and this time, I am going to make it work, one way or another. Things that were issues before, aren't anymore.

I've finally been able to buy Sam Broadcaster Pro and figured out how to set it up. I've tested a live stream by listening on a second computer, and everything was fine. The song titles updated just fine and the stream had no drop outs.

I e-mailed the support staff at Live365 and they responded promptly to my question. Here's what they told me. The highest bit rate in Auto DJ mode is 192 kps, and all of the tracks I uploaded are working fine at that rate. The 128 kps limit is for live streaming, which is fine with me.

As before, this is an oldies format. Right now I've got 50 tracks in rotation for Auto DJ, 36 of which are from the first six months of 1968. Think of that as a jukebox. In live mode, I'm going to be streaming simulated airchecks done as if I were on the air at a radio station back in the day, as it were. These are going to be vintage style with a Top 40 format.

I plan on doing shows from 1960 to 1973 or so, which is the last year I've been able to do using mono mixes of records. Once I hit 1974, that's proving to be very difficult.

The weekly charts are created using the Cashbox chart for the week in question along with the actual chart from an actual radio station. Some weeks, I can get anywhere from 75 to 100% on using the actual chart. Again, only using original mono mixes. Some charts were very poorly compiled back in the 1960s and 1970s; WABC charts often were incomplete.

The link for the station has been updated to be in my signature. I tested the link and it worked fine. But to be 100% certain, here it is as well:

https://live365.com/station/Backroom-Classics-Radio-a23147

Actually you have a slight misunderstanding about the supported bitrates on Live365. If you upload tracks for AutoDJ that are higher than 128, those files will be transcoded down to 128 for the stream.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom