• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

103.3 FM simulcast of AM 1360

Signal Geek

Frequent Participant
Barely heard their signal in Kensington and Santee. Where is transmitter? Radio-locator.com says there's a CP to put it on 1360's tower in Oak Park, but it's not there. That would be too close to 103.3 translator on KURS tower.

It appears this is the correct map - they now include the call letters "K277DH" in the top-of-hour ID (at least during the day - didn't hear it in the evening/late night hours):

https://fccdata.org/?appid=1755311&facid=151282

Community of license has been recently changed from Yuma, AZ to San Diego, CA as per the FCC website - no maps were available via FCC.gov:

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=151282

As far as reception goes, I was able to pick it up near the transmitter location in Kearney Mesa on Saturday 4/22/17 and a little bit north of there on Routes 15 + 163.
It was fighting it out with KVYB Santa Barbara and other stations on the same frequency.
As it is, the 1360 AM signal is fairly strong in that location (even after sunset), so it seems the translator may not be that much of a help,
unless one happens to prefer the FM 103.3 signal over AM 1360 where both are listenable.

Thanks pjc1961, much appreciated. Here in La Mesa, I get a mostly-unlistenable mash of this signal, and the repeater for AM 1240 K-Bright on same frequency. What brilliant minds at the FCC approved two translators (one of them 250 watts) on the same channel, in the same city, only about 7 miles apart?

Last edited:
103.3 is emanating from QUALCOMM stadium. They have changed the KIOZ-1 105.3 booster to 103.3. I find no FCC authorization for 103.3 at the stadium location.
KVYB's summer signal will, at times, blanket all but the strongest parts of the 3 translators main lobes.

Just gave you some fake news. My E. San Diego contact was in error. NO FM's at the Q. I visited KGB/KOGO myself, not Kearney Mesa or the Q. Another source
confirms 103.3 located at/near XETV property.

Yes Big121, I confirmed with field measurements the 103.3 translator for AM 1360 is on the XETV microwave tower in Kearny Mesa. Good signal in Kearny Mesa/Clairemont, but drops off fast north or south of there.

The microwave tower will be going away.

You never know. The tower could be sold and stand in it's existing place, and space leased out to cell phone companies and to other entities, besides having an FM translator station attached to it...

Currently the tower is licensed by the FCC, and permitted by the City of San Diego as a point-to-point microwave structure. It's current configuration would not meet the
requirements to qualify it as a WCF (wireless communication facility) on a score of points, as specified in the City's 'WCF guidelines' .

Notification of Suspension of Operations and Request for Silent STA
Reason for going silent: Technical

K277DH ON 12-MAY-2017 CEASED OPERATION AS A RESULT OF THE TOWER OWNER RELINQUISHING THEIR INTEREST IN THE ASSOCIATED REAL ESTATE AND TOWER STRUCTURE.

WE ARE SEARCHING FOR AN APPROPRIATE REPLACEMENT LOCATIONS FROM WHICH TO RESUME OPERATIONS. THE PUBLIC INTERESTS ARE SERVED BY K277DH BEING ALLOWED TIME TO LOCATE AND CONSTRUCT REPLACEMENT TRANSMISSION FACILITIES.

An LPFM in Tijuana, aka a pirate. I'm surprised none of these pirates ever consider frequencies like 97.7 or some of the allotments made to Rosarito. (The FCC allocations list is out of date with some of the moves that have taken place over the last 20 years — in general, the FCC FM DB's record for Mexico is in rough shape.)

I think this one is legit. Gave network and rolled off stations in numerous Mex. cities. But the signal was low, and the audio was too high, and so was the distortion.
Need to get down to south Bay for a better signal. Very spotty near CW6 building

I think this one is legit. Gave network and rolled off stations in numerous Mex. cities. But the signal was low, and the audio was too high, and so was the distortion.
Need to get down to south Bay for a better signal. Very spotty near CW6 building

You sure you're not getting 106.9 FM in Ensenada, XHADA-FM? That's in the Exa FM national network.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom