• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: March 2017

In an average of Jan-Feb-Mar WRFF is 9th in Women and 6th in Men, with the core being 25-44 year old men. This is rather typical performance for them.

And with the way advertisers sneer at WRFF, I wonder if it even matters. I mean, if they were 6th in Women and 4th in Men, they'd probably bill the same. It's definitely a weird situation. Still, if a format du jour appears and iHeart wants to capitalize on it, I feel like Mix 106 would be in the line of fire, more so than Radio 104.5.

I don't really know if 1210 AM can stay talk long term and keep the current ratings, given the current landscape of AM radio, talk radio, and Philly radio in general and the pending ownership change to Entercom. I'm also not sure if the new owner wants to run a separate news (KYW 1060) and separate talk station (WPHT 1210) in the same market . It's going to be interesting to see what Entercom does with 1210 AM. Keep it as is, or make changes. I think KYW 1060 will remain as is.

What's long term in that context? A year? Five? Ten? Twenty? That leaves it really wide open, given "change" is also fairly vague. Sooner or later Entercom will make changes. Every company does. If CBS has remained in full control, they'd make changes, too---in time, in some form.

Again, WRFF Radio 104.5 is the MOST popular station amongst college kids around this area, along with the infamous Q102. I, being a college student, can vouch for this. It's so well known, and plays the same songs all the time, that it's become a meme of sorts. However, it's a beloved meme at that. People who want rock and pop that strays from the path immediately go to Radio 104.5 or 91.7 WKDU.

It should NOT be that hard for advertisers to monetize Radio 104.5. Hell, the electric factory, the TLA, Boot n' Saddle and such should be jumping on Radio 104.5 to advertise shows going on there.
Liberal political ads, stuff like that. Easier said than done I reckon. People like the authenticity of the station and that the hosts are people like them that like alt rock. They like hearing the classic grunge hits of the 90s, the emo/ pop punk hits of the late 90s and 2000s. They LOVE hearing Mr. Brightside for the millionth time, or the Black Parade by MCR, or Holiday by Green Day. It's making CHR out of alt rock. It might not be top biller but it sure as hell is successful either way.

As for WPHT 1210, we're all sick and tired of people saying it'll change. It probably will down the road. I really have no idea what'll happen to it. I never listen to it, because I am not a conservative. I really don't think many listen to its OTA signal, but more online, because they sound awful over the air with their 5khz bandwidth thanks to IBOC.

As for WPHT 1210, we're all sick and tired of people saying it'll change. It probably will down the road. I really have no idea what'll happen to it. I never listen to it, because I am not a conservative. I really don't think many listen to its OTA signal, but more online, because they sound awful over the air with their 5khz bandwidth thanks to IBOC.

I believe that the CBS AM station streams are not a 100% simulcast, so, if I am correct in the assumption, the ratings shown for WPHT are all attributable to the AM signal.

It should NOT be that hard for advertisers to monetize Radio 104.5. Hell, the electric factory, the TLA, Boot n' Saddle and such should be jumping on Radio 104.5 to advertise shows going on there.
Liberal political ads, stuff like that. Easier said than done I reckon.

Advertisers don't monetize a station. Stations themselves do. And if advertisers don't choose to invest their advertising dollars on that kind of format, there is not much a station can do to overcome a policy of not using that format.

Show revenue is sporadic, generally not a prime rate, and not a broad category. It can't sustain a station. Likewise, political ads are not just seasonal, they only occur every couple of years.

On the other hand, do they have every pawn shop and bail bondsman in the market on? (That is the perception among agencies as to the target of such stations).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom