Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: March 2017
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: March 2017

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    3,318

    Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: March 2017

    The period covered March 2 - March 29 2017


    http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb007

    http://www.allaccess.com/nielsen/q/m...hiladelphia-pa

    The April 2017 ratings (March 30 - April 26) will be released on 5/15/17 . Any thoughts on the numbers and will we see possible programming and talent changes with any of the Philly radio stations?
    Last edited by frankberry; 04-20-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    Julius May, Philadelphia PA.

  2. #2
    "Beauty pageant numbers" or not, the folks at More FM cannot be happy about this. A drop to 7.0--allowing CBS's WOGL to claim the top spot--could possibly, maybe, arguably be attributed to something other than CBS throwing on a Mainstream AC that knocked 101.1 down a few pegs. But seriously, when was the last time WBEB was at 7.0? Seems that something potentially interesting might actually be happening in Philly radio. It's been a while!

    Worth noting: WTDY was #4 in cume, one of only 5 stations that reach more than 1 million. Not too shabby!
    Last edited by Miguelito; 04-24-2017 at 12:20 PM.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    33,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
    "Beauty pageant numbers" or not, the folks at More FM cannot be happy about this. A drop to 7.0--allowing CBS's WOGL to claim the top spot--could possibly, maybe, arguably be attributed to something other than CBS throwing on a Mainstream AC that knocked 101.1 down a few pegs. But seriously, when was the last time WBEB was at 7.0? Seems that something potentially interesting might actually be happening in Philly radio. It's been a while!
    While both stations, WOGL and WBEB, have very close 12+ numbers, the difference in 25-54 is significant. WBEB averages 50% more listening in the sales than old-leaning WOGL.

    At a significant number of stations, 12+ numbers are not even looked at when the books come out.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  4. #4
    WOGL has kept older songs longer than other CBS classic hits stations. Wonder how long that continues.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    While both stations, WOGL and WBEB, have very close 12+ numbers, the difference in 25-54 is significant. WBEB averages 50% more listening in the sales than old-leaning WOGL.

    At a significant number of stations, 12+ numbers are not even looked at when the books come out.
    No surprises there. But I definitely think people over-represent how little radio folks care about 6+ numbers. Of course they're not used for sales but it's not like people don't flip to that page at all! I'm sure they're good for boosting (or degrading) morale too. And of course, they're the only numbers the public sees (not that most of the public cares to look--LOL), thus the "beauty pageant" moniker.

    WOGL undoubtedly (and purposefully) reaches for an older audience than does WBEB. But honestly, how much less valuable are mid-40's to mid-50's men versus mid-30's to mid-40's women? I would think that there are plenty of advertisers who pay a pretty penny to reach both demos and that there's plenty of advertiser crossover, no?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    WOGL has kept older songs longer than other CBS classic hits stations. Wonder how long that continues.
    It's interesting because they have made a clear shift forward in time, despite what appeared to be a years-long campaign to stay exactly where they were. Seeing "Rush Rush" in rotation was a surprise considering it was a hit in 1991. Yes, the older stuff is still there but it seems to work. IMHO, WOGL's playlist is the best it's looked in quite a while. I guess these songs must all test well with the audience CBS wants to reach with WOGL, otherwise they wouldn't be spinning.

  7. #7
    I am 66 and only listen to WRFF, and WMGK HD-2, I guess I should be put in a museum, or out to pasture, but I am sure their are more like me around that tune in WRFF. LMAO

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    33,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
    No surprises there. But I definitely think people over-represent how little radio folks care about 6+ numbers. Of course they're not used for sales but it's not like people don't flip to that page at all! I'm sure they're good for boosting (or degrading) morale too. And of course, they're the only numbers the public sees (not that most of the public cares to look--LOL), thus the "beauty pageant" moniker.
    The only time I look at 12+ numbers is when I see markets where I do not have access to the full data. But in the markets where it matters, I don't open 12+ unless I want to compare a target demo (18-49, 25-54 or 18-34) to the totals to do forensics. But for most weeks and months, I never open 12+ as the data tends to decrease focus on what is important.

    WOGL undoubtedly (and purposefully) reaches for an older audience than does WBEB. But honestly, how much less valuable are mid-40's to mid-50's men versus mid-30's to mid-40's women? I would think that there are plenty of advertisers who pay a pretty penny to reach both demos and that there's plenty of advertiser crossover, no?
    That is why agencies that do reach and frequency analysis will buy multiple stations and formats.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    I am 66 and only listen to WRFF, and WMGK HD-2, I guess I should be put in a museum, or out to pasture, but I am sure their are more like me around that tune in WRFF. LMAO
    If you're right, that may be why they bill so poorly, despite good 12+ numbers.

  10. #10
    Their are way more older folks listening to DAS-FM than to WRFF, so how do they bill so well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us