• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

why Does Morse code get played on the radio at 1:30?

What is the station? Is it a translator? If you can give us the location and frequency, that would help.

I'll take a crack at the question. I'm an old navy radioman and one of the last generation who learned 'code'. I haven't used it very much in the 50 years since I got out but can still copy at about 10-12 WPM.

The reason they are broadcasting code is to give the location where Sonic is giving away free milk shakes to old, retired radio geezers who tend to honk their car horns at each other in code. Drives the wives crazy. :)

I'll take a crack at the question. I'm an old navy radioman and one of the last generation who learned 'code'. I haven't used it very much in the 50 years since I got out but can still copy at about 10-12 WPM.

The reason they are broadcasting code is to give the location where Sonic is giving away free milk shakes to old, retired radio geezers who tend to honk their car horns at each other in code. Drives the wives crazy. :)

Funny! :D

--.../...--/ -../. .--/.-/.----/-./-.../..
.-../---/.-..!!!
Got my Novice ticket in 1967.....my CW instructor was a retired Army colonel who wouldn't qualify me for 5 WPM until I could comfortably copy 13...
Taking the 5 WPM test under pressure at Custom House in Boston was a piece of cake...Same with passing the 13 WPM for the General license (had to do 18-20 with the Colonel...!!;))....
Did 3 years as Communications Liason in NAVMARCORPS MARS (1st and 4th Districts)(N0BAR)..

Last edited:
If it's only at 1:30, I haven't a clue. If it's continuous, you could be getting an image from a nearby airport beacon.

I have a related question for anyone who ever copied code.

While we were learning (me in Navy 'A' school) we would spend several hours per day listening to code and typing it out on a typewriter (learning typing and code at the same time). Each week we would move up by 2 WPM (a 'word' in this parlance means 5 random characters). My toughest speed came at 14 WPM and I don't know why. The Navy took us through 22 WPM and in all that time I missed only one character in our weekly testing but I really struggled at 14.

Anyone else experience anything like that - civilian or military?

I have a related question for anyone who ever copied code.

While we were learning (me in Navy 'A' school) we would spend several hours per day listening to code and typing it out on a typewriter (learning typing and code at the same time). Each week we would move up by 2 WPM (a 'word' in this parlance means 5 random characters). My toughest speed came at 14 WPM and I don't know why. The Navy took us through 22 WPM and in all that time I missed only one character in our weekly testing but I really struggled at 14.

Anyone else experience anything like that - civilian or military?

It was explained to me (long ago....!) that the human brain perceives/interprets sound at a certain rate....the 13 WPM requirement for the General Class FCC license supposedly came about as a way to "work through the wall" at ~13-14 WPM...
That's why my instructor had me copying a SOLID 20 WPM before he'd qualify me for 13!!
Haven't touched a key in years....BUT...I STILL have the old J-38 brass key my instructor gave me when I passed my General test!!1 A little MAAS metal polish works wonders....but I like to leave a LITTLE tarnish on it....Can't have it looking TOO un-used...!!;)
As mentioned in my earlier post.....my instructor was a retired Army Colonel -- Signal Corps.....so...he TAUGHT code....you LEARNED code!! At ease, soldier!!:cool:

Field of Dreams for radiomen.

In the middle of the night there have been occasions where DXer's have been able to convince a station to run a DX test. Morse cuts through the audio clutter better so it is sometimes used in a DX test.

I know there's a radio station I can get the Morse code on FM.

88.1 WDPR from Dayton. This is one of the moderately good radio stations with the reception near My home town.

There's a local station in 88.3 that will interfere with WDPR, I think that's creating the Morse Code effect.

In 88.1 There is WDPR really fringely weak and the interference of 88.3 WAIF, And then the Morse Code will be in the 88.1 FM channel.

On AM. I don't know the morse code exists on that mode.

So, I think it's interference from a fringely weak radio station and a strong radio station near that can create the Morse Code.

May be hearing a translator ID. Most translators use FSK (frequency shift key) once an hour for legal ID requirements. You normally won't hear it during normal programming, but having a nearby FM creating interference may make it more noticeable.

RFB

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom