What format is WKTU? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What format is WKTU?

I haven't heard WKTU recently, but I can make an educated guess that they are similar to Boston's WJMN 94.5. A rhythmic CHR

Not even close. WJMN is more of the typical definition of Rhythmic: current heavy and leans Urban. KTU is, well I have no idea. Too new to be considered Urban Classic Hits, too CHR to be Rhythmic AC or even truly Rhythmic. Too much gold for CHR. Too Rhythmic for Hot AC. I can't really say what it is. "Say You Won't Let Go" and "Hymn for the Weekend" are on their top 50 rotation. Is KTU playing remixes of these songs? I wouldn't imagine those on Rhythmic radio in a million years.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    How about Urban Classic Hits? Those stations are pretty much "oldies," but in today's language it would be "classic hits." But it's definitely urban, too.
    KTU is hardly urban. The audience is less than 20% African American. The composition is about 40% Hispanic and 40% "other"...
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Perhaps WKTU is programming an undefined format in a class of it's own.
    Jeffrey M. 'Mark' Tillery
    J. M. Tillery & Associates, P. A.
    Email Contact: jmtillery1@aol.com

Maybe. But other stations like it exist too, such as KHTI in Riverside/San Bernandino (despite having no pre-2000 tracks and playing conventional Hot AC tracks in the overnight daypart) and (formerly) WBQT in Boston, which is now a classic hip hop/rhythmic CHR hybrid. In Canada, 92.5 the Beat in Montreal is a good example of a "WKTU emulator".

Quote Originally Posted by chrocket87 View Post
    Not even close. WJMN is more of the typical definition of Rhythmic: current heavy and leans Urban. KTU is, well I have no idea. Too new to be considered Urban Classic Hits, too CHR to be Rhythmic AC or even truly Rhythmic. Too much gold for CHR. Too Rhythmic for Hot AC. I can't really say what it is. "Say You Won't Let Go" and "Hymn for the Weekend" are on their top 50 rotation. Is KTU playing remixes of these songs? I wouldn't imagine those on Rhythmic radio in a million years.
    I think it goes without saying but obviously those songs are the remixes. KTU should be called Rhythmic hot ac. If you take out the songs from 20 years ago that makes them a Rhythmic Adult Chr. WJMN already discussed.....and those g/boom stations are hip hop classic hits. Hot 969 is kind of a mix of 3 formats, rhythmic, rhythmic hot ac and hip hop classic hits.

The what may seem like subtle variations change the composition of p1 audience quite a bit. It all comes down to examining the market, what exists already in that market, your sister stations, and the niche which will make the most cash for the cluster as a whole.

They strangely aren't playing a remix of Million Reasons. Maybe just because it's Gaga?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12