• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSUR 1260 debuts with a 0.3 in the Nielsen March PPMs

admrnelson

New Participating Member
These are of course the 6+ numbers, but it still shocked me to see them even show up at this early date.
Does anyone know the last time this station even showed up in the ratings?

These are of course the 6+ numbers, but it still shocked me to see them even show up at this early date.

What tells the story is the 0.1 in 25-54, and 0.7 in 55 and over.

In 25-54 they averaged 700 people; the #1 station in the demo averaged 50 times more listeners. The problem is that the small advertisers they might attract can't make money off a station that only attracts 16,000 total weekly persons in the whole market... that's just not enough to get a measurable response for clients in such a geographically large market.

You have to go back to 2014 to see KMZT's last ratings appearances - it showed up in three books that year, the last time being in the November book with a 0.2. The station did not register at all in 2012 or 2013, but did manage to consistently place during its final months as KGIL, averaging a 0.2 during the last half of 2010 through March 2011.

Last edited:
You have to go back to 2014 to see KMZT's last ratings appearances - it showed up in three books that year, the last time being in the November book with a 0.2. The station did not register at all in 2012 or 2013, but did manage to consistently place during its final months as KGIL, averaging a 0.2 during the last half of 2010 through March 2011.

I can tell you that I would not be listening to music on the AM band - not any kind of music - and it wouldn't matter if I liked the playlist or not. If I wanted Oldies, for example, and there was no FM alternative, I would either stream it, or build a playlist in Spotify or Pandora.

If I remember correctly, 1260 in my day was KGIL - and it was somewhat signal challenged.

Au contraire. They are, by your math, being heard by 16K people a week. If this were Des Moines, a station impacting 16K would be part of the buy. Why isn't a station with similar impact in this market relevant to some? By your math 1260 should turn out the lights and shut down. Also, presumably the TSL is greater with this crowd. Also, 0.1/0.7 may not be factoring in the incremental audience also tuning into their HD2 presence (105.1). That's where, anecdotally, I listen to them up and down the 405 corridor.

Sure, your logic suggests that KSUR is not on the radar screen for most mainstream agency buys, but there is enough advertising out there that does target this demo to help 1260 avoid being completely commercial free: pharma buys = yes, cemetery buys = yes (Forest Lawn and Mt. Sinai are often heard on KNX), cruise line buys = yes, upscale auto OEM buys = perhaps. And that's just some initial thinking of applicable verticals.

Au contraire. They are, by your math, being heard by 16K people a week. If this were Des Moines, a station impacting 16K would be part of the buy. Why isn't a station with similar impact in this market relevant to some?

But that is 25-54 cume, and buys are not calculated on cume but on the average number of people listening at any given time. In this case, it is 700.

This is a market of 13,000,000 so 16 thousand is indeed tiny. In a market with a small geographic area, a small business can attract customers from all across the city. In LA, nobody is going to drive from Brentwood to Sylmar to buy something that is available "around the corner" at a similar neigborhood business.

A station in Des Moines, a market with about 5% of the LA total, with a 16,000 cume would rank around 20th in the market. In that market such a result will get you about $5 thousand to $6 thousand in monthly billings.

By your math 1260 should turn out the lights and shut down. Also, presumably the TSL is greater with this crowd. Also, 0.1/0.7 may not be factoring in the incremental audience also tuning into their HD2 presence (105.1). That's where, anecdotally, I listen to them up and down the 405 corridor.

The HD2 is part of the single line reporting if it is a 100% simulcast, which it indeed is.

I am not suggesting it be turned off. I am just saying that it is not going to do anything more than cover part of its costs. It was paid for long ago and has minimal overhead. Years ago I had a station like that, although the format was classical; I liked having the station and my other stations could pay for it without even feeling it. So as long as Mr Levine is entertained by having the format on the air, and as long as KKGO has cash flow, the station will likely survive.

Sure, your logic suggests that KSUR is not on the radar screen for most mainstream agency buys, but there is enough advertising out there that does target this demo to help 1260 avoid being completely commercial free: pharma buys = yes, cemetery buys = yes (Forest Lawn and Mt. Sinai are often heard on KNX), cruise line buys = yes, upscale auto OEM buys = perhaps. And that's just some initial thinking of applicable verticals.

There are essentially no pharma buys on radio, same for cruise lines. The car dealers are looking to grab folks at a younger age to create "trade up and keep 'em" consumers. And 16,000 cume compared to KNX's 1,600,000 is not valid. KSUR would have to price at about $0.25 a spot to compete.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom