• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

March Atlanta Radio Ratings

acheron1982

Star Participant
-WSRV has been on an upward climb for the last four runs now at 5.9

-WUBL, while still not topping WKHX, is showing signs of a consistent rise in ratings. Got to wonder if 106.1/107.1 which doesn't appear to be in the ratings might be taking away from the country audience.

-Rock 100.5 is actually higher in the ratings that Radio 105.7. Radio 105.7 is at 2.1 shares which I believe is the lowest ever. Rock 100.5 is 2.2 which is close to average for them. Wonder if 99X translator is taking away some from Radio 105.7 with their .4 share. Radio 105.7 also no longer uses 96.7 as a translator for the south side. While 105.7 signal is stronger, I find the 105.7 signal to be poor considering height/power. HD signal runs out between Johns Creek and Duluth and even have trouble along 285 between 85 and 400.

- WSTR may sound good but are trending down. Feels like this happens a lot with WSTR. Maybe an upward trend in the summer and downward trend in the winter?

- WZGC on a downward trend now at 2.9 from 4.4 in January.

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb047

-WSRV has been on an upward climb for the last four runs now at 5.9

-WUBL, while still not topping WKHX, is showing signs of a consistent rise in ratings. Got to wonder if 106.1/107.1 which doesn't appear to be in the ratings might be taking away from the country audience.

-Rock 100.5 is actually higher in the ratings that Radio 105.7. Radio 105.7 is at 2.1 shares which I believe is the lowest ever. Rock 100.5 is 2.2 which is close to average for them. Wonder if 99X translator is taking away some from Radio 105.7 with their .4 share. Radio 105.7 also no longer uses 96.7 as a translator for the south side. While 105.7 signal is stronger, I find the 105.7 signal to be poor considering height/power. HD signal runs out between Johns Creek and Duluth and even have trouble along 285 between 85 and 400.

- WSTR may sound good but are trending down. Feels like this happens a lot with WSTR. Maybe an upward trend in the summer and downward trend in the winter?

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb047

107.1 WTSH had a 1.5 share.

I'm guessing this is seasonality with the Falcons and to a lesser extent with the Hawks. I predict further (but not as dramatic) declines after the NBA season as well (unless the Hawks go on a good playoff run), and weak ratings June and July until chatter about pro and college football picks back up late summer.

Such is sports radio.

I'm guessing this is seasonality with the Falcons and to a lesser extent with the Hawks. I predict further (but not as dramatic) declines after the NBA season as well (unless the Hawks go on a good playoff run), and weak ratings June and July until chatter about pro and college football picks back up late summer.

Such is sports radio.

That station never seems to stop talking about the Falcons or NFL. Once in a while I hear them talk about the Hawks or NBA playoffs. But almost always when I tune in, I hear commercials (how many are they running each hour?) or talk regarding Falcons or NFL.

I realize the NFL draft is approaching, but I want to hear something about the Braves.

That station never seems to stop talking about the Falcons or NFL. Once in a while I hear them talk about the Hawks or NBA playoffs. But almost always when I tune in, I hear commercials (how many are they running each hour?) or talk regarding Falcons or NFL.

I realize the NFL draft is approaching, but I want to hear something about the Braves.

You probably need to ask the Dickeys about the Bravos.

107.1 WTSH had a 1.5 share.

I was looking at owners and forgot it's still listed under Woman's World Broadcasting. Do you know if 106.1 is being captured under this 1.5 share? Is this just the 107.1 translator or both the translator and the main Rome signal?

I was looking at owners and forgot it's still listed under Woman's World Broadcasting. Do you know if 106.1 is being captured under this 1.5 share? Is this just the 107.1 translator or both the translator and the main Rome signal?

Yes, Cox quotes the ratings as the 2 simulcast stations together.

WNGC is included in the WTSH numbers.

RoddyF - Sorry if I seem dense but are you telling me that the numbers present in the ratings this month include:

WTSH 107.1 Aragon
W296BB 107.1 Jonesboro, GA
WNGC - 106.1 Arcade

If that is the case, how could I come up with any other conclusion than to say this station is performing miserably? That is two 100K watt stations (one NE of Atlanta and one NW of Atlanta) along with a translator inside the city of Atlanta. I guess the follow up question to that is where are the folks surveyed from? Are they all ITP? If so, that would make me believe that majority of the shares for WTSH/WNGC are coming from the translator, W296BB.

My guess is most of them are coming from the big signals and not the translators. The combo's (trombo's) ratings are measured by the PPM in the metro counties and the diary farther out.

My guess is most of them are coming from the big signals and not the translators. The combo's (trombo's) ratings are measured by the PPM in the metro counties and the diary farther out.

Does that rating include BOTH Atlanta PPM reporters and diary reporters outside of the metro area? How do they roll those together?

Does that rating include BOTH Atlanta PPM reporters and diary reporters outside of the metro area? How do they roll those together?

There is only a Metro Survey Area (MSA) in the PPM markets, and no Total Survey Area (TSA) with additional "outside the metro" surrounding counties.

The Atlanta MSA is:
Barrow, GA
Bartow, GA
Carroll, GA
Cherokee, GA
Clayton, GA
Cobb, GA
Coweta, GA
De Kalb, GA
Douglas, GA
Fayette, GA
Forsyth, GA
Fulton, GA
Gwinnett, GA
Henry, GA
Newton, GA
Paulding, GA
Pickens, GA
Rockdale, GA
Spalding, GA
Walton, GA

So the translators, which generally cover only about the equivalent of a county or two, lose out to the signals that cover all or most of this fairly large geography. Of course, Fulton Gwinnett and De Kalb have roughly 50% of the whole market population, so covering one of them and parts of others with a translator can work in a fragmented market.

Anyone wanting to see the former equivalent of the TRA has to look at adjacent markets or the annual county by county data.

There is only a Metro Survey Area (MSA) in the PPM markets, and no Total Survey Area (TSA) with additional "outside the metro" surrounding counties.

The Atlanta MSA is:
Barrow, GA
Bartow, GA
Carroll, GA
Cherokee, GA
Clayton, GA
Cobb, GA
Coweta, GA
De Kalb, GA
Douglas, GA
Fayette, GA
Forsyth, GA
Fulton, GA
Gwinnett, GA
Henry, GA
Newton, GA
Paulding, GA
Pickens, GA
Rockdale, GA
Spalding, GA
Walton, GA

So the translators, which generally cover only about the equivalent of a county or two, lose out to the signals that cover all or most of this fairly large geography. Of course, Fulton Gwinnett and De Kalb have roughly 50% of the whole market population, so covering one of them and parts of others with a translator can work in a fragmented market.

Anyone wanting to see the former equivalent of the TRA has to look at adjacent markets or the annual county by county data.

This would exclude most of the coverage area of WTSH (Bartow, Cherokee, Pickens, Paulding, Douglas, and Cobb geographically represent only about a third of their 60dBu) and WNGC (Gwinnett, Walton, Barrow, Forsyth, and north Fulton represent about a quarter of their 60dBu). I'm guessing that WTSH/WNGC don't pull good numbers in the ATL counties where better reception alternatives exist, and most of their listenership is out of the metro area. WNGC's 60dBu goes into SC and touches the NC/GA line, and WTSH's goes into Alabama.

This would exclude most of the coverage area of WTSH (Bartow, Cherokee, Pickens, Paulding, Douglas, and Cobb geographically represent only about a third of their 60dBu) and WNGC (Gwinnett, Walton, Barrow, Forsyth, and north Fulton represent about a quarter of their 60dBu). I'm guessing that WTSH/WNGC don't pull good numbers in the ATL counties where better reception alternatives exist, and most of their listenership is out of the metro area. WNGC's 60dBu goes into SC and touches the NC/GA line, and WTSH's goes into Alabama.

I doubt many people in Rome and the surrounding area listen to WTSH since they have a local at 93.5, South 93.5.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom