• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KXNG - Is it working?

Musically, it might not be all Christian. Let's compare a ministry: Southern Baptist Convention, producers of PowerLine, a once 30 minute weekly program of current top 40 hit music with Christian themed features in the program. If you ask folks, they'd say it was a Christian program.

What a great example. PowerLine was a show the FCC accepted as qualifying for "O" (for "other") content to comply with the requirement to broadcast non-entertainment genres that included news, public affairs, agriculture, religion, etc.

The music was the hook. The message came between the songs. And the overall content was spiritual and religious.

And like I said many times already, I have no problem with NGEN I love their music. Just trying to explain that it is not a religious station. And should not be announced as one in many places.

Sure it is a religious station. It's focus is on values, and in part it does that by playing acceptable, socially aware songs along with ones that are specifically religious. It is about a lifestyle involving faith and moral principles, not just songs that have lyrics that involve praise and worship.

As far as Selena goes - we know Selena.

And I knew Selena prior to her murder in 1995.

"Selena" with no last name = Selena Quintanilla, Tejana music super-super-star. (And the artist played by J-Lo in the eponymous movie.)

"Selena Gómez" with the last name = current pop artist.

And I knew Selena prior to her murder in 1995.

"Selena" with no last name = Selena Quintanilla, Tejana music super-super-star. (And the artist played by J-Lo in the eponymous movie.)

"Selena Gómez" with the last name = current pop artist.

Selena Quintanilla - to non Spanish speaking people - had one minor top-40 song recorded in English. Too bad, she had potential to be a major celebrity in the United States the way she was in Spanish speaking countries. Among everybody I know, you say Selena with no last name - it means Selena Gomez.

Not when it's a Cumbia that doesn't worship God nor does it speak about Christianity. Especially one that says SELENA WOULD LOVE THIS. So he's worried more about Selena loving a song than worrying about God getting pleased?

OK - I mis-spoke. Wrong Selena. I guess I got confused because to me, the name Selena refers to Selena Gomez, not a foreign artist who was beginning to break into the American market with one minor top-40 song 22 years ago. I remember a few promotional news articles from the time about her, and how she was poised to enter the American music scene in a big way. I was remotely aware of her at the time, and certainly wished her good luck in hitting the big time in the US. It is always a shame when someone so young and beautiful - on the cusp of super stardom among English speaking people - is cut down before her time.

As far as Cumbia referring to Selena (now that I have been corrected that her single name has a different meaning to Spanish language speakers), I find some of the comments on here to be beyond inappropriate and almost creepy. To make comments about how she dressed and what sort of influence that would be on young girls is ridiculous. After 22 years all of those young girls are now adults, most with children of their own. She is not alive to defend herself from vicious haters who only comment on how she dressed. Her personal faith - whatever it was, is moot. She needs to be respected in death for her accomplishments.

So I take it the unusual mix of styles in the Cumbia song include the "Tejano" style - which I am completely unfamiliar with. Peculiar mixture of polka and hip hop from what I hear. A novelty song for sure.

As to whether it is appropriate or not for NGEN - I trust station management and music directors to play music that is clean of bad influences.

OK - I mis-spoke. Wrong Selena. I guess I got confused because to me, the name Selena refers to Selena Gomez, not a foreign artist who was beginning to break into the American market with one minor top-40 song 22 years ago. I remember a few promotional news articles from the time about her, and how she was poised to enter the American music scene in a big way. I was remotely aware of her at the time, and certainly wished her good luck in hitting the big time in the US. It is always a shame when someone so young and beautiful - on the cusp of super stardom among English speaking people - is cut down before her time.

As far as Cumbia referring to Selena (now that I have been corrected that her single name has a different meaning to Spanish language speakers), I find some of the comments on here to be beyond inappropriate and almost creepy. To make comments about how she dressed and what sort of influence that would be on young girls is ridiculous. After 22 years all of those young girls are now adults, most with children of their own. She is not alive to defend herself from vicious haters who only comment on how she dressed. Her personal faith - whatever it was, is moot. She needs to be respected in death for her accomplishments.

So I take it the unusual mix of styles in the Cumbia song include the "Tejano" style - which I am completely unfamiliar with. Peculiar mixture of polka and hip hop from what I hear. A novelty song for sure.

As to whether it is appropriate or not for NGEN - I trust station management and music directors to play music that is clean of bad influences.

Wow dude get your facts right before you speak, how was Selena Quintanilla a foreigner if her and Selena Gomez where both from Texas??

Selena Quintanilla was born in Lake Jackson, Texas in 1971 and Selena Gomez was born in in Grand Prairie, Texas in 1992.

Wow dude get your facts right before you speak, how was Selena Quintanilla a foreigner if her and Selena Gomez where both from Texas??

Didn't know that! Interesting. I guess I thought that since she was a Spanish language entertainer, and enjoyed success in Spanish language nations, she came from a different country. The danger of jumping to conclusions. I don't trace all the details in every minor top-40 "One hit wonder" artist out there. I feel bad for her family, that must have been awful. Some sort of fan club embezzlement by the president of her fan club from what I heard. Would have been nice to have had her generate a string of hits in English, probably would have fit well in adult AC format. Maybe she could have been in movies and on TV. Sigh - a case of what might have been. You Tejano fans have her music ----

Not only did Selena Quintanilla come from Texas, she didn't speak Spanish. She learned her songs phonetically,

Didn't know that! Interesting. I guess I thought that since she was a Spanish language entertainer, and enjoyed success in Spanish language nations, she came from a different country. The danger of jumping to conclusions. I don't trace all the details in every minor top-40 "One hit wonder" artist out there. I feel bad for her family, that must have been awful. Some sort of fan club embezzlement by the president of her fan club from what I heard. Would have been nice to have had her generate a string of hits in English, probably would have fit well in adult AC format. Maybe she could have been in movies and on TV. Sigh - a case of what might have been. You Tejano fans have her music ----

Fact: Selena Quintanilla was born in Texas and grew up around Corpus Christi, TX. Her parents were Tejanos, born in Texas.

Fact: Selena was the superstar of all superstars of the Tejano music genre. She sold millions of records.

Fact: Selena, prior to her passing, hand not achieved yet success in Spanish language nations. She was "pure Tejano" and, outside the US had only been regularly heard in the upper Northeast of Mexico near the Texas border. Her pop and ranchera hits had just recently become popular in other areas. In other words, she was as American as Frank Sinatra.

Fact: Selena's youth and success in the Tejano music area caused her new record label, EMI, to start working on crossing over. On one side, she was crossing over into Ranchera music, with several beautiful and huge hits. On the other, she was crossing to English language pop, where he first record went gold.

Fact: Like many later-generation Tejanos, she was brought up speaking English only. Her first Spanish language songs were done phonetically while she learned better Spanish.

Fact: After her death, her music found new audiences outside traditional Tejano markets and many of her songs are "power gold" at regional Mexican and even contemporary stations 22 years later.

Fact: The New York Times called her "... the most important Latina musician in the country."

Fact: Ms. Saldivar was the manager of Selena's chain of boutiques, where she sold fashions that the artist herself had designed.

Fact: The film about her life, where the title role propelled Nuyorican Jennifer López to fame, was very successful with a box office and DVD sales of $75,000,000 in today's dollars.

Tejano music is a fusion of country music and traditional conujunto music from Texas and Norteña music from Mexico.

There are Tejano ballads, two-steps, cumbias and other styles. A number of Tejano artists have crossed over to Country, the most important being Emilio Naveira. The most important Tejano station in the country includes several country gold songs an hour in the playlist.

Many of Selena's Tejano music hits were done in the cumbia style... which interestingly originated in the coastal areas of northern Colombia and then spread across the world.

I guess I got confused because to me, the name Selena refers to Selena Gomez, not a foreign artist who was beginning to break into the American market with one minor top-40 song 22 years ago. I

Ricky Martin
Jennifer López
Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine
Enrique Iglesias
Pitbull
Selena Gomez
Pablo Casals
Cristina Aguilera
Prince Royce
Wisin & Yandel
Richie Valens

These are just a few of the huge recording artists who were either born in the USA or, like Gloria Estefan, brought here as children and raised in the USA. They are, like Selena, not "foreign" artists. There are, of course, many more but I thought I would mention just a few.

Selena Quintanilla - to non Spanish speaking people - had one minor top-40 song recorded in English. Too bad, she had potential to be a major celebrity in the United States the way she was in Spanish speaking countries. Among everybody I know, you say Selena with no last name - it means Selena Gomez.

Huh?

"The way she was in Spanish speaking countries...."

I just said that she was a Tejano music superstar. "Tejano" is music of Texas, not Latin America. It is hardly ever heard outside of its native Texas (although it does get some audience in far northeastern Mexico). "Tejano" is a derivative of the original pronunciation of the state you live in, which comes from a Native American name for the area in pre-European invasion times.

You must have been living under a rock, or perhaps on Mars, to be a Texan in the 1990's who didn't know who Selena was, even if you never listened to Tejano music. Sort of like knowing who Michael Jordan was, even if you never watched the NBA.

I recall reading an article back then that made the comment: "Hispanic girls in Texas don't want to be the next Madonna, they want to be the next Selena.". She was that big of a superstar.

Sorry Bruce, but you are embarrassing yourself.

You must have been living under a rock, or perhaps on Mars, to be a Texan in the 1990's who didn't know who Selena was, even if you never listened to Tejano music. Sort of like knowing who Michael Jordan was, even if you never watched the NBA.

I recall reading an article back then that made the comment: "Hispanic girls in Texas don't want to be the next Madonna, they want to be the next Selena.". She was that big of a superstar.

Sorry Bruce, but you are embarrassing yourself.

Nope - just one more of millions of Texans that don't speak Spanish and don't listen to Spanish language music. David is right - she was a big Tejano artist. over two decades ago. Nobody outside of the Spanish speaking community listens to - or cares about Tejano music. Selena herself seems to have known the extent of her influence was limited to the Spanish speaking community, which is why she was trying to cross over to the English speaking audience. Sorry - but she WAS a minor artist to English speaking people - who looked forward to songs we could understand and relate to.

I am not embarrassed to not know anything about a Spanish language format or artist. About the only Spanish language music I ever listened to was Guantanamera and La Bamba, and one of those came with a translation. I listened to other foreign language songs like Sukiyaki and Dominique - but Spanish language or other foreign language artists crossing over to the English speaking audience is a rarity. This morning NGEN played something in Spanish. Click went my preset to the next station. I don't speak the language, the lyrics frustrate me.

Nobody outside of the Spanish speaking community listens to - or cares about Tejano music. Selena herself seems to have known the extent of her influence was limited to the Spanish speaking community, which is why she was trying to cross over to the English speaking audience. Sorry - but she WAS a minor artist to English speaking people - who looked forward to songs we could understand and relate to.

Interestingly, today two of the more frequently played non-current cuts on KODA, the highest cuming station in the state of Texas, are:

SELENA - I Could Fall In Love... 91 plays YTD
SELENA - Dreaming Of You... 40 plays

... and that is 22 years after her death!

I am not embarrassed to not know anything about a Spanish language format or artist.

You should be embarrassed from posting so many untruthful, inaccurate statements. Texas, after all, was a Spanish speaking land for more years than it has been predominantly English speaking... and much of the language and lore of the state from terms like "rodeo" and "lariat" go back to Spanish times.

About the only Spanish language music I ever listened to was Guantanamera and La Bamba, and one of those came with a translation. I listened to other foreign language songs like Sukiyaki and Dominique - but Spanish language or other foreign language artists crossing over to the English speaking audience is a rarity.

Rarity?

Again,

Jennifer Lopez, Ricky Martin, Pittbull, Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, Miami Sound Machine, Gloria Estefan, Cristina Aguilera, Selena, Emilio Naveira, Richie Valens, Malo, Camila Cabello (Fifth Harmony), Julio Iglesias, Raúl Malo (Mavericks), Carlos Santana, Prince Royce, Mariah Carey, Marc Anthony, Rita Moreno, and on and on and on.

Interestingly, today two of the more frequently played non-current cuts on KODA, the highest cuming station in the state of Texas, are:

To add, both songs are also in rotation on "The Spot".

To add, both songs are also in rotation on "The Spot".

But KODA and The Spot are Houston stations, which are not DX-able on Mars where Mediafrog+ believes Bruce may actually be living with his family of yagis.

You should be embarrassed from posting so many untruthful, inaccurate statements. Texas, after all, was a Spanish speaking land for more years than it has been predominantly English speaking... and much of the language and lore of the state from terms like "rodeo" and "lariat" go back to Spanish times.

Rarity?

Again,

Jennifer Lopez, Ricky Martin, Pittbull, Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, Miami Sound Machine, Gloria Estefan, Cristina Aguilera, Selena, Emilio Naveira, Richie Valens, Malo, Camila Cabello (Fifth Harmony), Julio Iglesias, Raúl Malo (Mavericks), Carlos Santana, Prince Royce, Mariah Carey, Marc Anthony, Rita Moreno, and on and on and on.

Wow - took some research on your part to find the number of plays. I am not surprised she gets airplay, KODA is probably semi-oldies along with soft rock. If you include 80's and 90's in oldies. The spot kind of falls in that category, too. They might as well call it "Bob" or "Jack" because that is what it is. I had forgotten that second English language hit. No longer will I refer to her as a "one hit number".

Last time I check, Texas won its independence in 1836. I really think it is pointless to refer to history as if it had deep significance today. Is there a large Hispanic population? Of course. Do they form their own cliques and communities based on language? Of course. So do all the other ethnic groups including white. We all associate with people like us. Did the large Hispanic population generate their own style of music? I guess the term "Tejano" implies that. Never gave it much thought because I don't listen to foreign language music very much. Didn't grow up with it, not relevant in the culture I grew up with, take your pick. Not something I could reasonably be expected to know much about.

Long list of artists there. I'd be a bit embarrassed to mention Ricky Martin - wasn't one of his songs voted WORST song ever? Macarena or something like that. My buddy Dan Schneider even spoofed it on Zoey 101. Most of those artists I recognize except Richie Valens (La Bamba) record a whole lot of English language stuff. Don't know a whole lot about some of them. I probably cut off my musical interests sometime in the 80's or 90's except for select songs or unless I know somebody personally (that other Selena) or Ariana. But if I were really honest - don't care much for either of their music. That's horrible I know, but it isn't a set requirement of friendship that you have to like everything they do.

Bowing out of this thread - it is getting a bit contentious and straying further afield from radio. Nice hearing other viewpoints, I hope my openness to correction and learning about a different culture soothes hurt feelings a bit ----

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom