• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Easter Buffons on 1510AM WMEX

Wimmmex

Star Participant
I was sent out out pick up a couple of items for Easter dinner, and, as I do when I am alone in the car, scan the AM dial to see what people are talking about.

Came to 1510AM....and I came across what I assume was a repeat broadcast of Renegade Radio. Which should be renamed the Buffoonery Broadcast.

For the period I was in the car, they were making fun of the gender of a certain Boston traffic reporter.

I swear, I thought I was listening to a group of Jr. HS boys talking.

TO make fun of someone else, to make fun of another broadcaster, to giggle at someone's gender, voice, dress, etc...(and run it again as a repeat!).....it's the epitome of low class irresponsible broadcasting.

I hope they go out of business soon.....

TO make fun of someone else, to make fun of another broadcaster, to giggle at someone's gender, voice, dress, etc...(and run it again as a repeat!).....it's the epitome of low class irresponsible broadcasting.

No more low class than arguably the biggest name in talk radio bullying a contraception advocate by calling her a slut and a prostitute...and that was five years ago.

No more low class than arguably the biggest name in talk radio bullying a contraception advocate by calling her a slut and a prostitute..

You think it's the same thing?

In the case you mention, it was someone who interjected herself personally into a political policy debate. She wasn't just a "contraception advocate", she was advocating that the government mandate that the expenses for her sexual life be covered. To which said host said: "who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says that she must be paid to have sex".

In the case I mentioned this person is not advocating a political position in the public debate. She did not personally interject into a policy debate/discussion.

Both impolite? Maybe..but quite different.

You think it's the same thing?

Next time try reading what I wrote, not what I didn't write. I never said they're the same.

But...in one very important aspect they are equivalent. They're both cases of bullying where the targets are unable to defend themselves. They take the time-honored tradition of journalism (speaking truth to power) and turn it inside out. Yes, to civilized people it sounds like stupid eighth-graders with typical teenaged brains, but such bullying, unacceptable just a generation ago, is all too rapidly becoming the norm in talk radio. It's no longer enough to disagree with someone. Bullying, demonization, personal attacks, character assassination are the new normal.

Saddest part of it is: At least Rush used to be somewhat clever at it. Now he and the rest of the true believers don't even bother.

Next time try reading what I wrote, not what I didn't write. I never said they're the same.

No, you said "No more low class than..."

And, yes, it is much more "low class" to personally attack someone who is not part the public policy debate...than it is to criticize someone who interjects themselves personally into a political policy debate.

They're both cases of bullying where the targets are unable to defend themselves.

While bullying is not nice...Sandra F put herself out there as personally part of the debate. Anyone who does that is fair game for criticism. And Sandra F had LOTS of opportunity to defend herself. She was given interview after interview after that...she was on the front page of magazines, etc. I believe she is now running for public office. PLENTY of opportunity to respond.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom