Sports announcers covering diffrent sports?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports announcers covering diffrent sports?

Sports announcers covering diffrent sports?

I remember Frank Gifford not only doing NFL games, but also other sports like skiing on "Wide World Of Sports" at ABC

Another example of this would be Keith Jackson, since he did sports other than CFB.

I remember Dick Stockton doing a NHL game between Washington and Florida on FOX in 1995.
    Are there any other examples of announcers doing sports that they didn't cover normally?

Quote Originally Posted by danderson6500 View Post
    I remember Frank Gifford not only doing NFL games, but also other sports like skiing on "Wide World Of Sports" at ABC
    Gifford did a lot of different sports besides football: Basketball, Olympics, various things on Wide World of Sports, including Evel Kneivel's jumps.

Another example of this would be Keith Jackson, since he did sports other than CFB.
    He also called NBA games in the 1960s, and was the first play-caller (replaced by Gifford after a year), on MNF in 1970.

I remember Dick Stockton doing a NHL game between Washington and Florida on FOX in 1995.
    Are there any other examples of announcers doing sports that they didn't cover normally?
    OK, starting with the obvious:
    Jim Nantz -- NFL, college basketball, golf.
    Joe Buck -- NFL, MLB
    Howard Cosell -- NFL, boxing
    Curt Gowdy -- Just about everything
    Al Michaels -- Everything
    Dick Enberg -- Everything that Michaels didn't cover.

The point here is that most good play-callers (not always ex-jock game analysts, but there were some) were versatile. They could call many different sports and do them well. Most, if not all of them that were on network TV were able to do much more than one sport.
    We have to save the Earth! It's the only planet with football and beer.

Stockton regularly calls NFL football and Major League Baseball. He was the TV voice of the Red Sox for several years. Jackson, in addition to football and basketball, also was the lead announcer on ABC's Monday Night Baseball.

Gus Johnson has called college football, college basketball, and soccer

I remember Jackson doing game 6 of the 86 NLCS on ABC. I was surprised, since i thought they'd would have used Don Drysdale instead.

Jim McKay would be another example- he did figure skating, horse racing and golf for ABC as well as being main host of Wide World Of Sports.

Jim Lampley did the same thing, covering a ton of sports for ABC.

Tim Ryan did skiing, college basketball and the NFL for CBS, as well as boxing.

Don Criqui did college basketball for NBC as well as being NBC's golf voice for a while before Vin Scully.

Terry Gannon has done college basketball and figure skating for ABC. He also has done football too.

Very few broadcasters have gone an entire career without at least dabbling in secondary sports.

Verne Lundquist did Football, basketball and golf for CBS.
    Jack Buck did baseball and football for multiple networks.
    Tom Hammond was originally hired to do horse racing at NBC, but he has broadcast a wide variety of professional and Olympic sports through his long tenure there.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Here's all I can think of off the top of my head that hasn't already been mentioned yet:

Vin Scully (MLB and NFL)
    Gary Thorne (NHL and MLB)
    James Brown (NFL, NBA, NHL)
    Ian Eagle (NFL and NBA)
    Jim Hughson (NHL and MLB)
    Eli Gold (NHL, NCAAF, NASCAR)

Sean McDonough has done MLB, NHL and NFL, college basketball and football, and PGA golf. Marv Albert has done all four major pro sports leagues, plus boxing, tennis and horse racing.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    Howard Cosell -- NFL, boxing
    He also covered a few Kentucky Derbies for ABC. As a longtime racing fan, I could tell immediately that he had no real knowledge of the sport either from a sporting or betting aspect. His commentary consisted of overblown hype for only the best-known jockeys and trainers -- plus the horses that were getting media attention leading up to the race -- and hardly a word about any of the other competitors, human or equine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast