• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any religious stations (radio or TV) that sell advertising?

mvcg66b3r

Star Participant
From rtripboy on the AVS Forum:

I don't want to get into a disagreement about religious stations. But, WGGS does sell advertising. Both local and national. They have the best of both worlds. They are non-profit and yet they still sell spots. They're not running QVC on 16.5 for free. And I suspect they're being paid to run the programming on 16.3 & 4.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-lo...2947-greenville-sc-hdtv-389.html#post52246209

What religious stations in your market sell ads? I know this is a radio forum, but it can be radio or TV stations.

Seattle's KCMS 105.3 (Spirit 105.3) and KWPZ 106.5 in Bellingham (Praise 106.5) are both owned by Crista Ministries, which have commercial breaks in between music just like any other station.

Star 93.3 WAKW in Cincinnati has commercial breaks as well. They are owned by Pillar of Fire broadcasting.

Any number if them including most Salem stations.
Locally for me in East Tennessee, WRJZ (talk-teaching) WJBZ, (Southern Gospel), WIFA-WIJY (1240-92.7-94.7-107.3), WITA(1490) and WKXV (900).

95.5 The Fish (WFHM) in Cleveland sells advertising. Always have ever since they went on the air in 2001. Owned by Salem Communications, as are AM 1420 The Answer (WHK) and AM 1220 The Word (WHKW), also in Cleveland.

Most Christian stations in West TN other than K-LOVE, Air 1, Moody, and AFR are commercial, including:

WTKB 93.7 Atwood/Milan (CCM)
WWGM 93.1 Jackson (Southern Gospel)
WCRV 640 Memphis (Bott - Christian talk) They also have stations in some areas that are non-commercial.
WLOK 1430 Memphis (Black Gospel)
WMQM 1600 Memphis (Dollar a holler) They claim to be Christian, but their real god is green.

The Fish stations in Nashville also run ads.

K-LOVE, Air 1 and WAY-FM have stations in areas that are in the commercial band but are still run as non-commercial. They run spots for donors but under the rules of what is allowed for non-commercial stations.

Keep in mind that several stations that are Religious/Christian are that in format alone. Salem would tell you they are a for profit company and as long as religion pays the bills (or talk or business talk or anything else), they'll stick with it. Those from 88 to 92 FM are typically the ministry owned stations although they might own commercial frequencies and AM stations too. Lots of the AM religious stations really struggle.

The model in Christian Radio was you had hundreds of ministries that paid for airtime. One by one they changed to a model of: we no longer pay you but you can run us for free and we'll give you a piece of each donation that comes in each month from your listening area. That left local ministries.

Local ministries, if you can find interest without the congregation taking a year to decide to go with it, it is typically the person doing the program that pays from their wallet. They can never afford much...usually 15 to 30 minutes a week.

Advertisers on the religious station, assuming you are on a commercial frequency: the station will have the struggle of gaining enough listening audience within the primary trade area of the advertising business to actually produce any advertising results for the business. Generally you are stuck with mom and pop businesses with very small budgets who might stay on as long as their minister at their church stays on your station.

It doesn't matter if you're in a metro or not, it's what the willing buyer can afford and sometimes you hate selling 'that' client but when it means the difference between meeting payroll or paying the light bill, you do it because selling religious radio is more about who calls than who you call on. A caller is ready to buy but one called on likely never thought about buying.

So, yes, lots of religious stations sell not only program time but they sell commercials. The problem is there's never enough program buyers nor business advertisers and neither seem capable of paying anything close to what you thought that amount of time might be worth. I've sold for as little as $20 for a quarter hour and lots of $3 spots (10 seconds) to businesses just to keep things rolling. Then a Spanish language broadcaster bought a few hours and he became a success. In a few years we had 8 times the revenue by leasing hours to foreign language broadcasters. Our job was to take their money. They did all the work: programming, sales, promotion. We gave them a radio signal at a rate per hour.

There are plenty of commercial Gospel stations owned by the big corporations. In my neck of the woods, there's Urban One's Detroit Praise Network (an HD side channel and three translators; the format originated on a suburban signal which Urban One sold to EMF, and it was commercial there too).

WFRN 104.7 in Elkhart/South Bend (with an extensive repeater network) is another example of a music-intensive Christian AC station which is advertiser-supported.

I hear local spots on the local AM religious talker, KGNW. Also, their schedule seems to change fairly frequently, probably due to corona economy issues, and the things that B-turner mentions in his post above. I also hear a fairly good amount of local religious programming on the station.

From 1994 to 2001, I worked weekends and fill-in at WCGW-AM and WJMM-FM which are long-time religious stations here in Central KY. They were both (and still are) commercial stations with paid (mostly) local spots.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom