• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week 560

I wonder how much power the former JBC, Kingston on 560 runs.
They are not very receivable just about anywhere, even in Jamaica.

I've heard them at night on the beach near Pensacola. But it's been at least ten years, if not longer.

And Bruce, I can usually hear a very weak KLVI daytime at our usual gulf beach getaway spot at the Alabama-Florida border. Mixing with, if not underneath, WOOF....which typically is only marginally stronger.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. Speaking of the Gulf coast.

At my old favorite daytime DXing place, Honeymoon Island in Dunedin, Florida I could hear three stations on 560, if I remember correctly.

The dominant one was WQAM, which came in MUCH stronger than it did inland in Tampa. (Never could figure out the saltwater affecting stations coming from over land.)

Hard as I tried, I don't think I ever got any official IDs from the two in the background.

Figured one had to be WOOF. Being at the bottom of the dial, I'd think KLVI would have a shot too.

DAY: KLVI 560AM Beaumont can be heard with clarity in the car as far east as Baton Rouge and as far west as Flatonia, TX.

NIGHT: KLVI 560AM can be heard as far southwest as Victoria and as far east as Lafayette.

I wish the Houston Astros would make KLVI their Beaumont affiliate.

DAY: A weak but steady KLVI.

NIGHT: KLVI is stronger with some fading. KWTO can usually be heard underneath. Ocassionally XESRD "La Tremenda" in Santiago Papasquiaro will bubble up briefly. A few times I've heard a different Mexico station playing regional Mexican music. I suspect it's XEXZ. Aiming NW, I can sometimes hear a weak KLZ as well as XEOC in Mexico City.

SUNRISE: When XESRD goes to daytime power, it becomes dominant with a fairly good signal for a while.

At all times there is splatter from local 550 KTSA, which requires off tuning a bit.

I lived in Gainesville, FL in the mid-1970's and could hear the Dothan station,
but I did have to null out the much stronger Miami station.
Both stations have the same call letters and diurnal signals as they had back then, 5KW, non-DA,
although the Miami station's signal is reduced and they might be more equal in Gainesville now.

I remember that an FM in Dothan, WTVY,
was listed as being full class C power and height (100K@2K),
but I do not remember what their frequency was.
There is presently a WTVY in Dothan at 95½, but this one is a C0 under 1.4 kilofeet.
This station could be the same one on the CBS-4 tower?

Last edited:
Re 560: Perhaps someone here from upstate NY* or thereabouts can answer this:

Is that Catskill NY station WCKL 560 on the air? My understanding is that they turn it on every so often to oblige with some licensing requirement.

Never heard the station back in the JFK Airport DX days. IIrc, WCKL sent it all north, toward Albany.

* To many people (I'm not one) 'upstate NY' starts thirty feet north of Yankee Stadium, which is where a lot of people also consider the Arctic Circle also behins :)

Days, 560 KSFO is the dominate station.

At night, I can surprisingly null out KSFO and pick up KMON out of Montana ( Country music ). Very cool!!! There radiation pattern doesn't even point south westward, but I can hear it ( it has been confirmed via radio app on iPhone and call letters heard live ). If nothing else was on 560, I'm sure I could listen to KMON 90% of the time with extreme in & out fade.

KMON's been on day pattern for weeks now, they are easy here over and under KPQ.

Speaking of, I haven't posted here.

Daytime in Yakima, WA - KPQ Wenatchee (News/Talk)
Nights - KPQ, KSFO San Francisco (News/Talk) and the aforementioned KMON (Classic Country). Also heard KLZ Denver CO (Conservative Talk) a few years ago.

Wanted
KBLU Yuma (News/Talk) - a small lobe points north at night, but it's more profitable pre-sunset. 1KW
KVOK Kodiak AK (Country) - Most of the pattern points east of Kodiak, so maybe a sunrise catch if the Asians are strong.
While I'd love to hear WIND and others in the east, I doubt I'll ever have a chance...

I'm not sure of your setup, but mine is just a Panasonic RF-2200 inside the house, on a lazy Susan.

I find it very impressive ( even if they are on day pattern ), that a 5KW station can be heard this far south ( almost 890 miles ), but on the same frequency as a local.

It seems a lot of stations are staying on day power, example KFIR am 720 up your way. I can clearly hear "Coast to Coast" under KDWN. If they were really running 184 watts, no way could I be able to hear them under a 50KW station.

DAY: KLVI 560AM Beaumont can be heard with clarity in the car as far east as Baton Rouge and as far west as Flatonia, TX.

NIGHT: KLVI 560AM can be heard as far southwest as Victoria and as far east as Lafayette.

I wish the Houston Astros would make KLVI their Beaumont affiliate.

There was a thread on the Houston discussion board this summer that mentioned someone else wishing this (it might very well have been you, can't remember) and it became something of a spirited debate among a few posters. I too think it would be an excellent idea, although now with KTRH carrying night games that really alleviates any problems Beaumont-area fans have hearing the games.
KLVI's groundwave is great in that part of the country anyway, even if it were to be more inland, but the salt water makes their great reach even better.

KLZ 560 Denver from about 60-70 miles north. have had it lock in HD once.. their HD audio blows.... the analog sounds better!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom