• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Infomercials help to pay the bills but this is rdiculous

Saturday evenings on 'BZ are infomercial land but their weekend schedule is pretty strong and by 10pm Sat. they are back to regular programming. The Ric Edelman show 10am-noon on Sundays may be paid programming but it really is a good show and not that obvious as a paid program. I count 6 hours a week of infomercial and 2 of those are Ric.

I will say that their coverage of the Boston Marathon yesterday was very well done and no other station in the market could have pulled that off as well as they did and their with the commitment to local nights and overnights earns them a break on the 6 infomercial hours in my book.

Now - 60 minutes on the radio and C'BS' evening news (live plus a repeat daily) can go bye bye as far as I'm concerned. Airing TV audio on the radio just doesn't click that well. I would guess these will be gone once Entercom takes over just hopefully Entercom doesn't destroy the rest of the place in the process.

Now - 60 minutes on the radio and C'BS' evening news (live plus a repeat daily) can go bye bye as far as I'm concerned. Airing TV audio on the radio just doesn't click that well. I would guess these will be gone once Entercom takes over just hopefully Entercom doesn't destroy the rest of the place in the process.

On 01 Jan 2016, IIRC, WBZ had to drop ABC News in favor of WW1 News reports (powered by CNN), an altogether inferior product, IMHO. I really enjoyed the live segments wherein a 'BZ anchor would converse with an ABC News reporter (e.g., Aaron Katersky, Alex Stone, etc.) in the field. I hope that whoever takes over 'BZ Radio ditches WW1 and re-establishes a connection with ABC News Radio. Heck, even after CBS had acquired WBZ, the latter was still airing ABC News on the hour evenings and overnight! One reason given by 'BZ at the time was that ABC News had a product superior to that of CBS News. I believe both are very good, while WW1 is without any "soul" to it.

I hope that whoever takes over 'BZ Radio ditches WW1 .

That situation might self correct, after a reverse eight to one (IIRC) stock split last fall, their stock closed at 25 cents a share yesterday ( it is a running topic on my FB radio board)

a share you owned last year at this time is now worth THREE CENTS

and they have received yet another delisting letter.

It is only a matter of time before Cumulus goes under, taking Westwood One with it.

Who would buy WW1 if it were part of a bankruptcy auction?

On 01 Jan 2016, IIRC, WBZ had to drop ABC News in favor of WW1 News reports (powered by CNN), an altogether inferior product, IMHO.

No, it was long before then—maybe 01 Jan 2006...though that seems a little too far back.

As someone who listens nights and weekends...I never remember hearing an ABC Network newscast aired. Only CBS Radio Network news....

Where did WBZ ever give that reason?

For a while, IIRC, it was a dual relationship where CBS/WWI had the regular nxcasts and ABC popped in with bulletins (or vice-versa) and provided features, the most notable being—and, I believe, the reason they hung on to ABC affiliation—was Paul Harvey, who left this world (RIP) in 2009, which sounds more around the time ABC was given the heave-ho.

As someone who listens nights and weekends...I never remember hearing an ABC Network newscast aired. Only CBS Radio Network news....

I believe it was while David Brudnoy was still with us, when his evening program began at 7 PM. The TOH newscast was from ABC News, and this was after Westinghouse acquired CBS.

Where did WBZ ever give that reason?

I made an enquiry at the time on the 'BZ website, and the response was to that effect, namely that ABC News had a worthy product. And it was not just Paul Harvey, it was the interviews between the 'BZ anchors and the ABC correspondents, as well as their "breaking news" updates on the half-hour whenever a major event was unfolding.

That situation might self correct, after a reverse eight to one (IIRC) stock split last fall, their stock closed at 25 cents a share yesterday ( it is a running topic on my FB radio board)

a share you owned last year at this time is now worth THREE CENTS

and they have received yet another delisting letter.

It is only a matter of time before Cumulus goes under, taking Westwood One with it.

Who would buy WW1 if it were part of a bankruptcy auction?

Does Disney have the option to buy back any of the former ABC O's and O's, especially the ones associated with their major market TV operations?

No, it was long before then—maybe 01 Jan 2006...though that seems a little too far back.

For a while, IIRC, it was a dual relationship where CBS/WWI had the regular nxcasts and ABC popped in with bulletins (or vice-versa) and provided features, the most notable being—and, I believe, the reason they hung on to ABC affiliation—was Paul Harvey, who left this world (RIP) in 2009, which sounds more around the time ABC was given the heave-ho.

No, ABC and 'BZ parted when ABC decided to ditch WW1 as its distributor and go its own way. And that was quite recent, within the past two years.

What REALLY galled me, though, was that the former ABC O&O's dropped ABC News Radio as well. I was floored not being able to hear an ABC newscast on WABC. Their national/international clips came from WW1.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom