Does anybody else hear this...? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anybody else hear this...?

Hi Larry, The tone I'm hearing may be on my cell phone? I'm an old man and I don't rely on cell phones all that much. (Emergencies only, especially when my phone and Internet goes out and I have to call repair service which wastes most of my monthly 100 minute allowance.)

When I am listening to my analog radio I am near my computer. I heard the noise one time on that thing and that is all.

When I was watching that speech I was watching in my living room, but I did not have any of my other electronics turned on.

As for hearing the subaudible tones on Laura Ingram's show it is rare I get up early enough to listen in during the radio broadcast. I subscribe to the podcast, but the tones would not be heard therein.

Thanks for writing.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike847 View Post
    Ever since the January 2017 Trump's Joint Session of Congress address I've been hearing an annoying noise on satellite delivered audio.

I heard this during the above mentioned broadcast and the recent NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

It's a two note (high and low) electronic noise that comes up during pauses of speech/commentary/play by play. (I also just heard it as a local sound bite during a local newscast.)

Is this a new sound that cannot be corrected with all of the wonderful technology we have today?

I am not an engineer, but a former employee in radio, so this noise is not in my field of expertise.

Is there anyone that knows what this is, and why it has appeared in this day and age? It seems like technology has taken a giant step backwards.

Thanks.
    I think what you are hearing is the Nielsen PPM encoding. Since they released a software update a little over a year ago, it is very noticeable during crowd/ambient noise that you would hear during play by play/speech/etc. Even worse so if the station has a Voltair.

Hi, Thanks for the input. Interesting.
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12