• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can the DFW pull in KFYO at night?

Thanks for the response, Liberty.

Whatever happened to KCKN? I believe they were on 1120AM. It had a null to the east but it was present all over the west.

KCKN was 1020. FCC lists it as "licensed and silent." Not sure if it's even coming back.

If you rewind about 30 years, there's a good chance you'd have been able to get KOB in parts of DFW for an hour or two before sunset, but the 770 that's now KAAM ruined that.

X-Band Nighttime Check-In for DFW

1610AM---?
1620AM---Omaha, NE (not sure of call letters)
1630AM---Ft Worth station
1640AM---KZLS (Enid, OK)
1650AM---Ciudad Juarez station?
1660AM---KRZI
1670AM---Wisconsin sports station
1680AM---KRJO
1690AM---?
1700AM---Lewisville station/KVNS Brownsville

Let me know if I'm way off or pretty close on this.

For a station that is "silent" KCKN is booming in at my QTH, Orange County, TX, like a local this morning, 0500 CDST. TOH ID verified along with several other stations in their network.

Was KCKN providing English or Spanish language programming?

It appears that KCKN 1020AM has flipped from Country Classics to Spanish Christian, but I have never been able to listen to KCKN to confirm.

If I have to wake up at 5am to confirm, I will.

Was KCKN providing English or Spanish language programming?

It appears that KCKN 1020AM has flipped from Country Classics to Spanish Christian, but I have never been able to listen to KCKN to confirm.

If I have to wake up at 5am to confirm, I will.

Programming was in Spanish and sounded like it could be religious.

KDKA is a pretty impressive catch.

WCJ, have you tried pulling in 1670AM out of Macon, GA? WMGE it is a Fox Sports affiliate. I pulled it in like I was driving around in Middle Georgia one night back in early April. I was driving in between Lake Charles and Lafayette and it was clear as a bell.

Your 1630 is KKGM. 1610 is virtually unused anywhere in the US except TIS stations. 1690 used to be pretty solidly WVON. When I lived there, there was a short-lived revival of WLS-like oldies on it, with some of the original WLS personalities. Very nice listen at night. It did mix a bit with now KDMT, which at the time was Radio Disney's Denver outlet.

WVON is News/Talk out of Chicago.

KDMT is now Business Talk out of Denver.

I was unable to pull in either down here in Victoria, but maybe you can still pull them in around the DFW area.

KDKA is a pretty impressive catch.

WCJ, have you tried pulling in 1670AM out of Macon, GA? WMGE it is a Fox Sports affiliate. I pulled it in like I was driving around in Middle Georgia one night back in early April. I was driving in between Lake Charles and Lafayette and it was clear as a bell.

Rimshot, have had t-storms in my neck of the wood past couple of mornings, but was able to pull in WMGE this morning around 0515 with a clear sky. I'm using a Sangean ATS-909X with about a 100' SW-NE long wire @ 25'.

The only station I'm aware of in North America that operates on 1610 is based out of Canada. At one time Jimmy Swaggert (Swaggart?) had a CP for 1610 in Central Texas. I've only gotten WOZN on 1670, they are always here starting around sunset.

There's CHHA Toronto on 1610. Otherwise it's the Caribbean Beacon in Anguilla, and hundreds of different HAR/TIS stations throughout the nation.

I heard 1620 KOZN Bellevue, NE over 1620 WTAW College Station in Port Lavaca right around dusk. Pretty cool.

I'm surprised I can't get Pensacola's 1620. They may be daytime only, I haven't checked.

Rimshot, have had t-storms in my neck of the wood past couple of mornings, but was able to pull in WMGE this morning around 0515 with a clear sky. I'm using a Sangean ATS-909X with about a 100' SW-NE long wire @ 25'.

Thanks for the heads up, WCJ.

WMGE 1670AM is pretty amazing. I can't wait to see how far west I can pull it in on my next South Louisiana road trip.

IIRC the new 1610 was supposed to be Christian talk KPYN in Atlanta TX moved from 900. I think had technical problems upgrading their old tower (most likely didn't have enough money) so they never did it.

BTW Anyone know why the FCC hasn't added any expanded band stations in years? No demand?

Last edited:
When the FCC first launched the expanded band, it forbid adding any additional stations there. I'm also thinking the FCC limited the 10,000 watt day/1,000 watt night signal was limited to the inaugural stations. Those channels were to be licensed as local channels outside of those licensees.

I'm guessing it's a combination of not much demand for 1,000 watt signals that high on the dial and the FCC not wanting to revisit its original rule making.

IIRC the new 1610 was supposed to be Christian talk KPYN in Atlanta TX moved from 900. I think had technical problems upgrading their old tower (most likely didn't have enough money) so they never did it.

BTW Anyone know why the FCC hasn't added any expanded band stations in years? No demand?

The standard for X-Band stations is 10 kw day and 1 kw at night, non-directional. This allowed multiple uses of the frequency nationally. Any higher nigh power and the near-shortwave X-Band channels would interfere with each other.

The FCC later made a couple of exceptions for coastal X-Band stations allowing them to directionalize with 10 kw at night, but no more than the equivalent of 1 kw towards anyplace in the US.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom