• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

High or relatively high rated stations that lost their audience?

WIVK-FM has by far been a much more dominant station (it doesn't hurt that it's in a smaller market with fewer viable signals than Greensboro/Winston-Salem.) WIVK-FM has been the #1 station in Knoxville since 1980 (you could go further back if you count the audience of its former, mostly-simulcast AM sister at the time.) It peaked with a 33.4 share in 1991 (FM alone). The Winter 2017 book and its 9.7 share is the first time the station has been in single digits since 1973. WIVK-FM had a 17.1 share just two years ago - a decline that steep is very uncommon, especially given there has not been much in the way of wholesale change in the station's formatics or presentation.
I just read something that I didn't know. WIVK has serious country competition on a 100,000-watt station. I thought that station was still news/talk but apparently not.

Denver's 560 AM KLZ. Prior to 1989 KLZ had good if not decent numbers. Denver's ( and Colorado's ) first radio station and a powerhouse for decades. At one time in the golden age of radio they were a CBS affiliate and would often advertise in Broadcasting magazine. In the 50s and 60s they even had television with KLZ-TV 7 ( now KMGH ). In the late 70's KLZ would switch to country music and they held their own to the many of FM country stations. All of this came to an end in 1989 when the staff was fired and they hooked up with Z-Rock, KLZ hasn't been the same ever since. Today KLZ is conservative talk...a format that is found on other stations in Denver. Even though KLZ has since added FM to it's 560 their numbers are low.

Is there a station that at one time did well, but fell over time. One example is KKWD in Oklahoma City, which was in the top, but now averages about 2.0 (last I checked.) Have any more examples?

KKWD never had the signal to compete. It didn't cover the whole metro - particularly the OU campus in Norman. It basically made a lot of noise by being outrageous in the beginning.

Those of us there in the beginning did have a lot of fun with it though.

KVIL had a slow steady climb starting in the late 1960s. By the mid 1970s, they were a top station in Dallas/Fort Worth and continued the trend for a about another decade or so. Finally, Ron Chapman moved to KLUV and KVIL began a slight decline that would continue. It was quite a run as an AC station, from about 1968 and ending only recently. Sure it evolved over the years, but few stations can tout such a long run at the same format.

Just off the top of my head in my local market, I'd go with WBAP, KVIL and KRLD-AM. All used to be locked in to the top 10 and now they rarely get there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom