• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

50kw for WIOD

There are several markets that are such a blend of two. Miami/Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach/Boca. So many stations cover parts of both. Same goes for Baltimore and Washington, Philadelphia and Wilmington. Some stations don't exactly know what to do/which market to go for. Do you go for the big one with a mediocre signal? Or go for the smaller one and try to own it? Sometimes that's even harder, especially when there's a heritage station in town

The former owners of WFTL/WMEN tried to position them as Miami/Fort Lauderdale stations but didn't enjoy a great deal of success (obviously!) Alpha seems to be placing more of an emphasis on Palm Beach, especially now that the studios are in West Palm which is probably just as well. The glory years of WIOD (Neil, Hendrie, Rick and Suds, Randi) may be long gone but I don't believe they can be outdone by a Palm Beach signal even if there are more live, local shows on 850 than 610.

The former owners of WFTL/WMEN tried to position them as Miami/Fort Lauderdale stations but didn't enjoy a great deal of success (obviously!) Alpha seems to be placing more of an emphasis on Palm Beach, especially now that the studios are in West Palm which is probably just as well. The glory years of WIOD (Neil, Hendrie, Rick and Suds, Randi) may be long gone but I don't believe they can be outdone by a Palm Beach signal even if there are more live, local shows on 850 than 610.

And even with the new signal, WFTL does not get a 10 mV/m farther south than the northern limits of Ft. Lauderdale. It can not compete in the Miami MSA.

What ever happened to WMEN's proposal to jack their power way up,
then a hurricane allegedly huffed and puffed and blew their towers down,
and that was the last we heard of it? Sad Trombone?

Last edited:
What ever happened to WMEN's proposal to jack their power way up,
then a hurricane allegedly huffed and puffed and blew their towers down,
and that was the last we heard of it? Sad Trombone?
WMEN is still at its existing site near Loxahatchee. James Crystal was going to diplex WMEN with the 850 array near the Lake, go to 50kw, and change the CoL to Boca Raton but the permit for that eventually lapsed for reasons I'm sure had to do with money. James Crystal owned WFLL on the other hand did see its antenna taken down by Hurricane Wilma and it was moved to an adjacent tower until the station was evicted from that site (again, probably money related.) When last they were (sort of) on the air it was from a longwire antenna at the church owned by the people who were leasing the signal but that too was eventually dismantled and the station went silent. As mentioned elsewhere, the new owner is trying to put WFLL back on the air from the WEXY site in Oakland Park.

But what about jacking 640's signal up to cover Miami and the Fort?
If I were their engineer,
I would get much closer to the Cuban station's freauency
(still very legal) and get rid of that god-awful beating.
A little audio seeping in is nowhere near as bad.

I can't speak to the protection WMEN must afford international stations but they are and have been running 25kw day and 4.5kw night on an STA due to interference from Cuba. As to the viability of a signal upgrade if James Crystal was issued a permit for a more powerful signal then I'm sure Alpha could secure one as well but would the investment be worth the time and money it would require? It's a costly undertaking and ROI is all that matters to company owners. Also, wouldn't WMEN need to protect WWFE on 670 anyway? Not sure how much Miami signal they would end up with if they have to null out toward WWFE.

I believe that a third channel adjacency cannot overlap 25mv/m with 25mv/m.
That would apply to both, la "FE" and also to the "Wonderful Isle".

The problem is that to be a Miami station and be successful, you have to cover the whole market. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach are separate markets and bought separately by agencies. For most direct accounts, only small pieces of local coverage are needed as if they had locations all over South Florida they would be an agency account. There is no gain in covering part of the Miami market.

I can't speak to the protection WMEN must afford international stations...

640 is a US clear channel, so other signatories of NARBA have to protect it. While Cuba had a NARBA-authorized use on 640, that nation abrogated the treaty over 50 years ago. Canada has a notification for St. Johns, Nefoundlan, but that is 3500 miles from LA and 2200 miles from Miami.

So WMEN has to worry about LA and adjacent channels. And, of course, the viability of trying to serve Miami from a separate market.

And I do not suppose we ever get rid of the bovine manure
second and especially third adjacent channel protectionism.

Last edited:
I just looked at the proposal on FCCdata.org.
I am surprised that they want to stick with 67° towers, they same height as they have now.

It will be a four-element parallelogram on the east side of Krome Avenue;
Where southwest fifty-sixth street (Miller Drive) would be if they went through;
Across the street from the "South Florida Concrete Block"
Their strongest day and night[/b] lobes will be at 60º and 73º, respectively.
No significant signal will go toward the Everglades or the Keys on either pattern.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom