• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

50kw for WIOD

strangelove

Frequent Participant
iHeart has submitted an application to move WIOD to a new 4-tower site off Krome Ave. near Kendall and go 50kw day and 20kw night. It should be a screamer of a signal, I'm just wondering if they'll run into the same environmental impact problems the owners of WRHC encountered when they applied to move to the WWFE site a little further up the road.

iHeart has submitted an application to move WIOD to a new 4-tower site off Krome Ave. near Kendall and go 50kw day and 20kw night. It should be a screamer of a signal, I'm just wondering if they'll run into the same environmental impact problems the owners of WRHC encountered when they applied to move to the WWFE site a little further up the road.

Now that there are many sites just west of Krome, there is precedent. The first one, WQBA at The Trail and Krome, took about 7 years to get approved and needed, I recall, something like 27 different permits and consents.

Looks like a lot of power going out over the Atlantic.
Will they gain enough to offset the increased operating expense?

It's only "going out over the Atlantic" after it first goes out over several million people between the site and the ocean.

And I would assume they're looking to move there because they're losing the lease at the longtime 610 site on the 79th Street Causeway. There's no other plausible reason to give up what's otherwise a far superior transmitter site.

Operating expense? The startup expense alone has got to be astronomical! I didn't read anything in the app about potential loss of the existing site but isn't there a condo being built (or at least proposed) on the WIOD side of the island? Could have something to do with that because that's a hell of an investment to make. Years ago WQAM wanted to go 50kw from the WAXY site off the Tamiami but that plan was eventually scrapped.

It's only "going out over the Atlantic" after it first goes out over several million people between the site and the ocean.

And I would assume they're looking to move there because they're losing the lease at the longtime 610 site on the 79th Street Causeway. There's no other plausible reason to give up what's otherwise a far superior transmitter site.

Yep. The former Clear Channel cluster manager, as I was told, simply forgot to exercise a renewal option which led to the property owner looking for more profitable future use of a very beautiful little Isle (Wonderful Isle Of Dreams) in the bay. I am surprised they have managed to stay there so long.

The only option for a South Florida AM that loses its site is to move along Krome. A quick look at Google Earth shows, also, that many areas between the Turnpike and Krome are dotted with old quarry pits. So there are limited sites closer to the city than out in the Everglades or on the periphery. The conductivity out there is not outstanding, as I learned when the 1260 site was "mine" as manager of WHTT.

Yep. The former Clear Channel cluster manager, as I was told, simply forgot to exercise a renewal option which led to the property owner looking for more profitable future use of a very beautiful little Isle (Wonderful Isle Of Dreams) in the bay. I am surprised they have managed to stay there so long.
Wow. Just... wow. Is that why they're the former cluster manager? That stinks.

The startup expense alone has got to be astronomical!
Both of their existing towers are fairly new.
Their old rust stacks were replaced just a few years ago.
Gee, I remember when WA1A was on one of them.
Maybe they could share a site with WQAM and WKAT?
WKAT was also going to go high-power directional
from WINZ's sticks a few years back.
The Wonderful Isle Of Dreck
Pardon my ignorance, but is Fox-7 still there?

Last edited:

The only option for a South Florida AM that loses its site is to move along Krome. A quick look at Google Earth shows, also, that many areas between the Turnpike and Krome are dotted with old quarry pits. So there are limited sites closer to the city than out in the Everglades or on the periphery. The conductivity out there is not outstanding, as I learned when the 1260 site was "mine" as manager of WHTT.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
I'm sure they explored the option but what would preclude them from co-locating with WINZ in Carol City?

Looks like a lot of power going out over the Atlantic. Will they gain enough to offset the increased operating expense?

Isn't it safe to assume that if it's "off Krome Ave. near Kendall" as Strangelove stated they're aiming towards Broward County as well?

I'm sure they explored the option but what would preclude them from co-locating with WINZ in Carol City?[/QUOTE]

That is a good question. My guess is that the move inland to lower conductivity land does not even allow the current operation to maintain comparable coverage. Going to the west allows more power and probably better coverage of the far northern and southern parts of the market. The only protection to the east is WISO in Ponce, PR.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Wow. Just... wow. Is that why they're the former cluster manager? That stinks.

No, the issue was not discovered until the lease expired years later with no renewal. I believe there was a civil action about this, too. I just don't know / remember the details.

Isn't it safe to assume that if it's "off Krome Ave. near Kendall" as Strangelove stated they're aiming towards Broward County as well?

Probably. The protection of WISO requires a lobe that aims roughly on a 45° heading. That makes the west of Kendall site perfect. Hits southern Dade well, but protects PR. Puts the full power over the population concentration from about 15° to about 110°, meaning most of the power is in roughly a 90° arc, or way over 100 kw towards the population.

Both of their existing towers are fairly new.
Their old rust stacks were replaced just a few years ago.
Gee, I remember when WA1A was on one of them.
Maybe they could share a site with WQAM and WKAT?
WKAT was also going to go high-power directional
from WINZ's sticks a few years back.
The Wonderful Isle Of Dreck
Pardon my ignorance, but is Fox-7 still there?

The two stations on Virginia Key are being told to vacate, aren't they?

Probably. The protection of WISO requires a lobe that aims roughly on a 45° heading. That makes the west of Kendall site perfect. Hits southern Dade well, but protects PR. Puts the full power over the population concentration from about 15° to about 110°, meaning most of the power is in roughly a 90° arc, or way over 100 kw towards the population.

I looked up the application and, sure enough, there is a big lobe towards the NE, a minor null towards Puerto Rico and a sympathetic lobe to the SW. It protects the other 610's, including Houston and Kansas City. They appear to be able to do this with a 4-tower parallelogram. It looks pretty much the same at night, with just a bit less power.

more English speaking people in Broward. Could help the dismal ratings.

more English speaking people in Broward. Could help the dismal ratings.

Absolutely. In general, the AMs cover based on the original county of license. Dade County stations cover Dade and Broward ones cover, painfully, parts of Broward.

When the two markets were considered for consolidation by Arbitron in 1981, all the subscribing AM stations voted against and all the FMs voted for. The FMs won.

Today, only a couple of Miami AMs offer somewhat satisfactory full market day coverage, and at night it's just WIOD; WINZ misses putting a good signal over North Broward and no other Miami station else does, either.

Today, only a couple of Miami AMs offer somewhat satisfactory full market day coverage,
and at night it's just WIOD; WINZ misses putting a good signal over North Broward and no other Miami station else does, either.
Based on their nocturnal coverage of northwestern Broward county
(Coconut Creek, Margate, Coral Springs, Parkland, and Tamarac),
I rate the stations thusly:
WIOD, WQAM, WAXY, WINZ
(temporary honorable mention to WAQI).

Based on their nocturnal coverage of northwestern Broward county
(Coconut Creek, Margate, Coral Springs, Parkland, and Tamarac),
I rate the stations thusly:
WIOD, WQAM, WAXY, WINZ
(temporary honorable mention to WAQI).
WIOD comes in decently after dark where I am near Tamarac, WAXY is so-so, but WINZ and WQAM pretty much vanish. Interestingly enough WFTL and WMEN come in loud and clear, even indoors.

There are several markets that are such a blend of two. Miami/Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach/Boca. So many stations cover parts of both. Same goes for Baltimore and Washington, Philadelphia and Wilmington. Some stations don't exactly know what to do/which market to go for. Do you go for the big one with a mediocre signal? Or go for the smaller one and try to own it? Sometimes that's even harder, especially when there's a heritage station in town

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom