• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is the rhythmic fad dying out?

tall_guy1

Star Participant
It seems like the rhythmic fad that lasted from the late '00s through the mid '10s is starting to die out, with songs like "Play That Song" and "Say You Won't Let Go" charting on CHR stations, while songs like "Swalla," which were big a few years ago, not charting as well. I couldn't really imagine a song like "Bang Bang" by Jessie J doing as well today as a few years ago. What are your thoughts?

It seems like the rhythmic fad that lasted from the late '00s through the mid '10s is starting to die out, with songs like "Play That Song" and "Say You Won't Let Go" charting on CHR stations, while songs like "Swalla," which were big a few years ago, not charting as well. I couldn't really imagine a song like "Bang Bang" by Jessie J doing as well today as a few years ago. What are your thoughts?

Play That Song peaked at No. 41, Say You Won't Let Go at No. 19. I'd say rhythmic is still king and likely will remain so as young America's demographics change.

while songs like "Swalla," which were big a few years ago, not charting as well.

In my view, a song like Swalla is more a function of the artists than the tempo of the song. Derulo & Minaj have been on a dry spell lately, no? They need a real hit, not a novelty.

Rhythmic is still large on the charts. However pop-rock/downtempo is making a comeback. Million Reasons, Play That Song, Say You Won't Let Go, This Town, Paris (kind of?), and the new songs by Harry Styles and Ed Sheeran are all current/recent recurrent hits that are either pop rock or have influences by it.

They'll probably end up as a song you'll never hear on the radio again. There's a term I'd like to use, but it's protected as a Federal Trademark.

Rhythmic is still large on the charts. However pop-rock/downtempo is making a comeback. Million Reasons, Play That Song, Say You Won't Let Go, This Town, Paris (kind of?), and the new songs by Harry Styles and Ed Sheeran are all current/recent recurrent hits that are either pop rock or have influences by it.

But Adele, Colbie Caillat, Lumineers, etc., also have had non-rhythmic hits in the teeth of the rhythmic storm. The rhythmic CHRs may have ignored them, but not the mainstream ones. That Sheeran and Styles are having non-rhythmic success just makes them exceptions to a longstanding rule at mainstream CHR and AC.

Do you mean the Rhythmic fad that began in 1979?
Back then they called it "urban contemporary" to distinguish it from "soul", which was still African American artists. And it actually was a mix of African-American artists and dance music. I heard Van Halen on a "Black" station when they changed from metal to hard rock. The song was "Jump" which was more techno than rock.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom