• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKY Nighttime Towers Removed and Power Reduced

Scooby214

Regular Participant
Driving down Broadway Extension recently, I noticed that WKY's two nighttime towers were gone. I searched the FCC database, and discovered that they were removed. It appears they were making room for KFOR-TV's construction project. The FCC database also shows that WKY no longer broadcasts a directional 5,000 watt signal at night. They are now broadcasting a nondirectional 510 watt signal at night.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=23418

Since I live in the metro area, the signal at night is plenty strong in my area. I feel sad that they no longer have the nighttime reach they once had.

At least the tall Franklin tower is still in place for their nondirectional daytime and nighttime signals. I love that tower.

From what I read on Facbook they are or have torn down the original WKY radio and TV transmitter building for KFOR's expansion, and they still had parts of the original WKY-TV transmitter inside. Sad to see that building go. But WKY hasn't been a significant AM station in OKC since the early 80's.

It actually got good ratings in the early 90's when it dumped country for easy listening after KKNG went to soft AC. In fact, it even ran KKNG out of town altogether. Unfortunately, the audience was too old to sell, and, if you believed Frosty Troy, Gaylord thought KTOK wasn't conservative enough. So, it was flipped to talk, where it quickly became an also-ran.

Once again a waste of power and maintenance. It makes sense.

It actually got good ratings in the early 90's when it dumped country for easy listening after KKNG went to soft AC. In fact, it even ran KKNG out of town altogether. Unfortunately, the audience was too old to sell, and, if you believed Frosty Troy, Gaylord thought KTOK wasn't conservative enough. So, it was flipped to talk, where it quickly became an also-ran.

It's too bad because I thought it was always the best sounding AM in OKC (at least in my lifetime). It sounded so much better than KTOK and KOMA/KOKC.

That Franklin Tower

I feel sad that they no longer have the nighttime reach they once had.

At least the tall Franklin tower is still in place for their nondirectional daytime and nighttime signals. I love that tower.[/QUOTE]

Me too, I remember working the night shift on 930, and talking with the engineer about that full wave antenna, 930 feet from connector to tip. Will miss the 5,000 ERP the mighty KY had in those days before Spanish programming......

Good night, Jack Ogle and Harry Reasoner, wherever you are......

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom