AM970 The Answer - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AM970 The Answer

Sure they can drill down, but it doesn't change the fact that there are fewer advertisers targeting the 75 year old male than the 40 year old female.
    Why would an advertiser target an age demo when other metrics are far more specific? Times are changing.

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk82 View Post

Who do you listen to?
    I've been listening to WMAL's "Mornings on the Mall" (Washington, DC.)

This was a terrific show with Brian Wilson and Larry O'Connor until the begging of this year when O'Connor moved to afternoons. Then they ran the show with guest co-hosts until hiring Mary Walter as permanent co-host a few weeks ago. She has good ideas and can be interesting but, to paraphrase the late Senator Lloyd Bentsen, "She no Larry O'Connor." Maybe she'll improve with experience.

Then today there was another co-host alongside Mary Walter who will apparently be there for the remainder of this week but there was no mention that he's "filling in" for Brian Wilson."

So where this show is going I'm not sure. I've sampled morning shows closer to home but couldn't find anything very good.

Quote Originally Posted by wadio View Post
    Why would an advertiser target an age demo when other metrics are far more specific? Times are changing.
    Are you talking about weather or oldies? Two different content threads here.

I've been listening to WMAL's "Mornings on the Mall" (Washington, DC.)

This was a terrific show with Brian Wilson and Larry O'Connor until the begging of this year when O'Connor moved to afternoons. Then they ran the show with guest co-hosts until hiring Mary Walter as permanent co-host a few weeks ago. She has good ideas and can be interesting but, to paraphrase the late Senator Lloyd Bentsen, "She no Larry O'Connor." Maybe she'll improve with experience.

Then today there was another co-host alongside Mary Walter who will apparently be there for the remainder of this week but there was no mention that he's "filling in" for Brian Wilson."

So where this show is going I'm not sure. I've sampled morning shows closer to home but couldn't find anything very good.
    Thanks for the information! I've heard Mary Walter fill in for a few folks over the years. I like her.

Super Moderator
    Radio is bought with age targeting as the first "gate" that must be opened for a station to be on an agency buy. The second is the rate they charge as applied to the client's target. Then there may be other dictates such as "no controversy" or specific formats that are known to represent lifestyle groups that over-index on advertiser product usage.

Since radio is bought that way, stations program that way.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

TheBigA wrote: Sure they can drill down, but it doesn't change the fact that there are fewer advertisers targeting the 75 year old male than the 40 year old female.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. My reply above referred to Pandora, Spotify, etc. Since these services can deliver ads to very specific potential buyers based on zip codes, recent searches, past purchasing habits, etc., etc., age is no longer a factor.

The specifically targeted results may result in a predominance of a certain age demo, but to target the age demo first is like the tail wagging the dog.

Radio is of course a different matter.

The specifically targeted results may result in a predominance of a certain age demo, but to target the age demo first is like the tail wagging the dog.
    I never said it was first.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I never said it was first.
    No, I think you said only. But you were talking about radio, and I was talking about streaming music services, so "let's call the whole thing off!"

No, I think you said only. But you were talking about radio, and I was talking about streaming music services, so "let's call the whole thing off!"
    I thought I was responding to your post about online weather information.

Salem, owner of the Answer, is quite adept at developing local ad buys for their programming making them less dependent on agency buys.

Piscopo may have had an off day, but he doesn't do too poorly considering the many options in the market and his station doesn't require direct government subsidies to stay on the air.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast