• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Monster FM

Llew: Simulcast rules in those days said you couldn't do more than 50% of your programming, so KIOI and KIQI had separate programming for half the day. There's an aircheck from November 2, 1979 of KIQI in the afternoon with IDs calling it "Your Imagination Station". Gary Taylor (editor of the Gavin Report) was doing an oldies show---"The K-101 Time Machine"---and at the end of that hour, 5 p.m. I believe, the simulcast resumed.
I was thinking that KIQI was a daytimer and you could just barely escape the 50% mark by rearranging Sunday morning public affairs and/or religious programming. Otherwise, it came up to 52%.

Semoochie: You're right. I'd forgotten that 1010 was a daytimer. Looking through the FCC archives, I see that Gabbert filed with the FCC for nighttime authorization at 250 watts back in 1975, but was turned down. It looks like he also tried in the spring of 1980 and got told "no" again.

Semoochie: You're right. I'd forgotten that 1010 was a daytimer. Looking through the FCC archives, I see that Gabbert filed with the FCC for nighttime authorization at 250 watts back in 1975, but was turned down. It looks like he also tried in the spring of 1980 and got told "no" again.

One of the best times I ever had with the radio was KIQI. They were playing songs, jingles and news reports from the same week in 1963. I think it was 1977, making me about 24.

One of the best times I ever had with the radio was KIQI. They were playing songs, jingles and news reports from the same week in 1963. I think it was 1977, making me about 24.

Semoochie: There's an aircheck of Gary Taylor's Time Machine, in which he says he's doing the greatest hits of 1963 (though the first song is from 1965, the second from 1964 and the fourth from 1961). It was October 25, 1979. The Bay Area Radio Museum has it, in scoped form: http://bayarearadio.org/audio/kioi/1979/KIOI - Gary Taylor - October 1979.mp3.

The Museum also says it's the final Time Machine broadcast, but there is an unscoped November 2, 1979 in existence that includes a newscast with stories from that date in 1963 and Gary playing songs from (give or take a couple of years) '63.

Last edited:
Semoochie: There's an aircheck of Gary Taylor's Time Machine, in which he says he's doing the greatest hits of 1963 (though the first song is from 1965, the second from 1964 and the fourth from 1961). It was October 25, 1979. The Bay Area Radio Museum has it, in scoped form: http://bayarearadio.org/audio/kioi/1979/KIOI - Gary Taylor - October 1979.mp3.

The Museum also says it's the final Time Machine broadcast, but there is an unscoped November 2, 1979 in existence that includes a newscast with stories from that date in 1963 and Gary playing songs from (give or take a couple of years) '63.
This was a stunt, referring to K-101. I was on vacation and heard it on my way up and back for several hours. It appeared to be live and definitely local.

If you blinked at any point during 1979, you missed it. Debuted in January, gone by December. Replaced by a more traditional Top 40/AC hybrid with John Mack Flanagan in the morning...which itself lasted only two years until KCBS-FM became KRQR and JMF went to overnights.

Thanks Michael - I was going to CSM and working three jobs at that point. Lots of fun and I likely did not blink. I was likely following KYUU to very large degree. It was a heck of a personality & music driven station at that time.

Thanks Michael - I was going to CSM and working three jobs at that point. Lots of fun and I likely did not blink. I was likely following KYUU to very large degree. It was a heck of a personality & music driven station at that time.

Yes - KYUU was a fun station - entertaining live personalities - lots of production value. I still miss that kind of radio. Even at the time, it stood out from most other FM stations, which were primarily "more music" juke boxes...even then. K-101 was another exception.

Yes - KYUU was a fun station - entertaining live personalities - lots of production value. I still miss that kind of radio. Even at the time, it stood out from most other FM stations, which were primarily "more music" juke boxes...even then. K-101 was another exception.

Agreed. Very tight production and presentation right down to the news with Gil Haar, Vickie Jenkins and Peter Laufer along with others. I wouldn't leave my car to go to class without listening to the whole newscast because it was so well presented. And when they did the "Montgomery Street Mysteries". Wow! A very innovative listener contest and station promotion. Somewhere I have a copy of all the episodes and an old KYUU media kit.

And my favorite CSM class was Time Sales taught by someone I just can't remember his name (from KNBR sales) at the moment. Heck of a class that stayed with me through my career when I went into time sales and management.

Agreed. Very tight production and presentation right down to the news with Gil Haar, Vickie Jenkins and Peter Laufer along with others. I wouldn't leave my car to go to class without listening to the whole newscast because it was so well presented. And when they did the "Montgomery Street Mysteries". Wow! A very innovative listener contest and station promotion. Somewhere I have a copy of all the episodes and an old KYUU media kit.

"Aaannnd that's the news, so now ya know. I'm Gil HAAR."

I loved those old fashioned pompous news men that Top 40 stations used to have. Growing up in LA, there were about a half-dozen of them. San Francisco - being a more hip, laid-back place:cool:, had only Gil Haar, as far as I know.

Here's one of my faves - J. Paul Huddleston on 93/KHJ 20/20 News, circa 1969:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cHZJEEi95I

I loved those old fashioned pompous news men that Top 40 stations used to have. Growing up in LA, there were about a half-dozen of them. San Francisco - being a more hip, laid-back place:cool:, had only Gil Haar, as far as I know.

I came on the scene a bit later, but I'll always remember Scoop Nisker (SP) on KFOG - "If you don't like the news, go out & make some of your own"

Dave B.

I came on the scene a bit later, but I'll always remember Scoop Nisker (SP) on KFOG - "If you don't like the news, go out & make some of your own" Dave B.

Which reminds me of KMET in LA back in the day. They had a Scoop Nisker type - his name was Ace Something. But for some reason, the midday jock - Richard Kimball - would read the news himself. He'd introduce himself as "Ricardo Kimbalino, your intrepid reporter..."

Which reminds me of KMET in LA back in the day. They had a Scoop Nisker type - his name was Ace Something. But for some reason, the midday jock - Richard Kimball - would read the news himself. He'd introduce himself as "Ricardo Kimbalino, your intrepid reporter..."

The last line reminded me of Gene Mitchell as we he was know at San Jose's KOME turning into Gino Mitchellini at KLOS.

Scoop Nisker started on KSAN during the Tom Donahue glory days, then resurfaced at KFOG in the 80s.

At KMET, Llew, it was Ace Young, who had come down from Sacramento's KZAP.

True story: It's around 9 o'clock at night in January of 1974, I'm 17 years old and on the air at KIBS in Bishop when the front door (never locked) swings open, and in walks ABC Records promotion man Sandy Horn (who I knew) and he introduces me to the guy with him---Ace Young.

Seems Ace and Sandy had been on their way to dinner in the San Fernando Valley in Ace's VW Beetle, had been smoking cigarettes with no names on them, and missed their turn...something they didn't realize until they were at the intersection of California highways 14 and 58 in Mojave. There's a sign that points to a right turn for CA 14 that says "Bishop-Reno NORTH" and Sandy says "Hey, I know a guy in Bishop". Never mind that it was 170 miles from where they were...they were already 90 miles out of L.A.

And here they are. Sandy's next words to me after introducing me to Ace were "Jesus, what a toilet" (referring to KIBS) and he disappears into the production studio.

I'm only on the air another hour. We chat for a bit, Sandy and Ace take me to dinner at Jack's Waffle Shop (probably the first and only expense account dinner in the 70-some year history of that establishment), and they're back on the road to L.A. by midnight.

I tuned into KMET the next morning at six (all L.A FMs with a stick on Mt. Wilson wound up on the Bishop cable TV system---put an FM radio on top of your TV and voila'!), Ace made it back in time. He sounded a little bleary, but that was part of the format in those days.

Oh, and Sandy disappearing into the production studio? He recorded my show, sent it to KSLY in San Luis Obispo and I was the Music Director and morning guy there three weeks later.

I remember Gill Haar ending his reports on KYUU by saying (in very pompous voice) " And that's the news... so now you know. I'm Gill Haar."

Hi Michael,

Great story - 2 comments:

"Seems Ace and Sandy had been on their way to dinner in the San Fernando Valley in Ace's VW Beetle, had been smoking cigarettes with no names on them, and missed their turn..something they didn't realize until they were at the intersection of California highways 14 and 58 in Mojave. There's a sign that points to a right turn for CA 14 that says "Bishop-Reno NORTH" and Sandy says "Hey, I know a guy in Bishop".".

1. FM radio employees in the 70s smoking pot? I'm shocked!

"Oh, and Sandy disappearing into the production studio? He recorded my show, sent it to KSLY in San Luis Obispo and I was the Music Director and morning guy there three weeks later. "

After Bishop, were the mean streets of San Luis Obispo intimidating for you?:rolleyes:

I remember Gill Haar ending his reports on KYUU by saying (in very pompous voice) " And that's the news... so now you know. I'm Gill Haar."

Yes - that was his signature sign-off. He also did it at KNEW when it was Oldies in the 70s, and KFRC-FM more recently, before he retired.

It's a good thing he wasn't at KFRC in the 60s hemmed in by the Drake format. He would have had to say, "I'm Gil Haar, KFRC 20/20 News - and that's what's happening today..."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom