The sports hub is being spun off!

Thread: The sports hub is being spun off!

The sports hub is being spun off!

I heard a message on 98.5 the Sports Hub this morning that the station was being spun off into Entercom's divesture trust. Any comments? This may mean that it may be spun off to a local group. And I wonder what's gonna happen to WBZ Newsradio 1030.

Quote Originally Posted by blackgold View Post
    I heard a message on 98.5 the Sports Hub this morning that the station was being spun off into Entercom's divestiture trust. Any comments? This may mean that it may be spun off to a local group. And I wonder what's gonna happen to WBZ Newsradio 1030.

I thought every station was going into trust nationwide and they will spin off or keep as the need arises....

I wouldn't read too much into a FCC required announcement for what essentially a license transfer for convenience

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgold View Post
    I heard a message on 98.5 the Sports Hub this morning that the station was being spun off into Entercom's divesture trust. Any comments? This may mean that it may be spun off to a local group. And I wonder what's gonna happen to WBZ Newsradio 1030.
    It is not "being spun" into a divestiture trust. "Being" means "now". Nothing is happening right now. Even if they file now to put the stations in a trust, it will take time for approval. Nothing changes.

Did you hear chat on one of the shows, or did you hear a legal filing notice? A filing notice is synchronized with the FCC filing seeking an authorization to move the licenses to a trust.

The station is one of many stations that Entercom put in a list presented in its FCC filings as ones they might put into a divestiture trust and sell. Same for WBZ (AM).

That means that, if at the time of closing, they will decide which, if any, of the stations will be spun off to new owners. Since there is a possibility that sub-caps may be eliminated, and a longer range possibility that ownership caps in general may be changed, all Entercom is doing is saying "Here are some stations on a list. We will put them in a blind trust and sell them if it is required at closing".

Even if the listed stations were put in a trust today, they continue to accrue revenue to the current owners. But since some are owned, legally by CBS now and some are owned by Entercom, there are not violations of the caps until such time as the closing happens. And, for the moment, there would likely be absolutely no changes in operations as that could be called an unauthorized usage of control of a station by an operator who still is not the licensee.

Under FCC rules, Entercom has to spin off 14 stations but the list is about double that.

Further, it is very unlikely any station will be sold to a local group. It is unlikely that many will be sold at all, as Entercom is looking to minimize tax liability by trading any stations they have to get rid of for "like kind" facilities in other markets where they are well under the caps.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 04-03-2017 at 09:00 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Tom Taylor was saying there's a comment period at the FCC.If anyone wants to object to the merger...

It will likely NOT be sold at all. The FCC is considering eliminating the sub-cap of 5 FM stations in a market. When that is law, which may just be several months, it won't have to be sold. -And that is exactly what CBS/Entercom is counting on with their "divestiture trust".

Didn't do an April Fools post this year but why not: [Written Herald "Inside Track" style]--Don't breathe a word of this to anybody else, because nobody is supposed to know, but word is that Bob Bittner will buy WBZ-FM 98.5 aka "The Sports Hub"
    to run his "Easy as the Breeze" music. There will be no commercials but he will solicit donations as he has with his other stations in, uh, Vermont or wherever they are. Powerful signal! As always, DO stay tuned.

His stations are in Maine. You're off, but not by much.

That's part of the joke..
    That they get the facts wrong