WMEX? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WMEX?

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post

Is Daly trying to sell them? Post on a facebook group had ad for an "powerhouse day and night" AM in Boston for sale for $1.25 mil, reduced for quick sale, "stick value at least 3 million". 3 Patterns...
    Could you link to...or provide us with that ad?

Nice pattern for fish and European DXers.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies View Post
    Nice pattern for fish and European DXers.
    Personally, I never thought the daytime signal was that bad...it's just kinda at a congested place on the dial.

http://radio-locator.com/pats/WMEX_AM_LD.gif
    Last edited by Wimmmex; 04-12-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    Personally, I never thought the daytime signal was that bad...it's just kinda at a congested place on the dial.

http://radio-locator.com/pats/WMEX_AM_LD.gif
    How bad was the erstwhile 5kW nocturnal signal?

Could it be WCRN that is for sale?

With the recent changes at WCRN, it wouldn't surprise me if it is for sale.

Super Moderator
    Could it be WCRN that is for sale?
    The ad says "full market coverage" of a top 50 market. Worcester is not a Top 50 market and WCRN does not have anywhere close to full market coverage of Boston's MSA.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

WCRN does not have anywhere close to full market coverage of Boston's MSA.
    What AM does?

WRKO, WBZ, WHDH cover the Metro...but I can't think of another station that does both day and night. (Would any of them would be reduced for a "quick sale" and "make me an offer"?)

Remember, ads are written to draw people in....and coverage estimates are always generous to a fault.

WEZE 590 possibly? I believe they own the TX site..so that may account for the implied value of the land. However, I don't think Salem is looking to sell their most valuable property in Boston.

The ad looks pretty amateurishly written. (And WMEX is an amateurishly run station!)

Then again...who knows!~
    Last edited by Wimmmex; 04-13-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Super Moderator
    What AM does?
    And that is the problem with AM today.

Flashing back to the early 60's, Hooperatings were done based on making phone calls. They called any toll free exchanges from the central zone of the market. That meant that the farther suburbs were not surveyed, so even WCOP-1150 when it was Plough's Top 40 operation or WEZE-1260 could successfully compete for ratings.

But Arbitron, beginning in the mid-60's, used "Metro Survey Areas" that covered multiple county areas, so the majority of AMs were out of the running. Add in today's noise levels, and in any major US market, there are sometimes no AMs that cover the whole market (Washington, DC, for example) and most don't have more than 2. Day and night Boston has WBZ and, as you say, maybe 590. The other two are so directional that they lose much of the market at sunset.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast