• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMEX?

FB_IMG_1492037583877.jpg

Could it be WCRN that is for sale?

The ad says "full market coverage" of a top 50 market. Worcester is not a Top 50 market and WCRN does not have anywhere close to full market coverage of Boston's MSA.

WCRN does not have anywhere close to full market coverage of Boston's MSA.

What AM does?

WRKO, WBZ, WHDH cover the Metro...but I can't think of another station that does both day and night. (Would any of them would be reduced for a "quick sale" and "make me an offer"?)

Remember, ads are written to draw people in....and coverage estimates are always generous to a fault.

WEZE 590 possibly? I believe they own the TX site..so that may account for the implied value of the land. However, I don't think Salem is looking to sell their most valuable property in Boston.

The ad looks pretty amateurishly written. (And WMEX is an amateurishly run station!)

Then again...who knows!~

Last edited:
What AM does?

And that is the problem with AM today.

Flashing back to the early 60's, Hooperatings were done based on making phone calls. They called any toll free exchanges from the central zone of the market. That meant that the farther suburbs were not surveyed, so even WCOP-1150 when it was Plough's Top 40 operation or WEZE-1260 could successfully compete for ratings.

But Arbitron, beginning in the mid-60's, used "Metro Survey Areas" that covered multiple county areas, so the majority of AMs were out of the running. Add in today's noise levels, and in any major US market, there are sometimes no AMs that cover the whole market (Washington, DC, for example) and most don't have more than 2. Day and night Boston has WBZ and, as you say, maybe 590. The other two are so directional that they lose much of the market at sunset.

"WHDH" would be the current 850 WEEI, which got those calls in 94 orig from 590. It's a pretty decent signal at least by day but the local sports talk and play by play went to FM in '11.

No prob; heck if they wanted (to get in radio biz?), Sunbeam TV could buy 680 or 850 or whatever and bring back the WHDH calls [they have em on 7] and do a radio version of 7News and other stuff.Unlikely though.

No prob; heck if they wanted (to get in radio biz?), Sunbeam TV could buy 680 or 850 or whatever and bring back the WHDH calls [they have em on 7] and do a radio version of 7News and other stuff.Unlikely though.

Ed Asnin has enough trouble right now. He lost his TV network affiliation in Boston, he has sold WLVI's spectrum space back to the Feds.

If anything he is looking for NBC to offer him enough money to head back to Miami, but so far NBC has balked.... I expect them to buy WMFP instead and move the NBC programming from 62.5 to 62.1 at some point. I think WMFP is tied up in the spectrum auction at this point but I don't think there are going to be any takers.

Now we all understand that the ad to sell the station is not something to take at face value, but if you had a stick worth 3 million, and a AM license worth next to nothing,
and maybe some equipment and goodwill, why would you sell it for 1/3rd of its value?

Now all we have to do is figure out what AM stations own their transmitter sites. Most don't.

Ed Asnin has enough trouble right now. He lost his TV network affiliation in Boston, he has sold WLVI's spectrum space back to the Feds.

If anything he is looking for NBC to offer him enough money to head back to Miami, but so far NBC has balked.... I expect them to buy WMFP instead and move the NBC programming from 62.5 to 62.1 at some point. I think WMFP is tied up in the spectrum auction at this point but I don't think there are going to be any takers.

Well I posted too soon, WMFP sold in the latest auction for 93 million dollars and will go dark. I bet the people at MRBI who had to sell it at fire sale prices are crying http://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-17-314A2.pdf

Last edited:
Bringing this topic back to WMEX 1510. - Who are those two buffoons on in the morning? I was scanning the AM Band this morning about 6:50AM and came across this station. One of the hosts was saying he was happy that John Denver was killed in the plane crash. And one of them was saying Country music sucks and it makes him so angry he wants to choke somebody. Saying it's stupid that they have Country concerts at Fenway Park. The other guy pointed out that the Country stations in Boston do really well. And the other guy made some derogatory remark about Country fans in Boston. He was making fun of Reba.

I guess the other question besides who these buffoons are - the question is - Why are you talking about music on a talk station?

1510 Boston has been 50kW full time since its transmitter move from Quincy to Waltham in the early '80s. The nighttime signal is extremely directional, though.

Of this I'm fully aware. Higher power notwithstanding, numerous complaints about WMEX's 50kW nocturnal pattern suggest that 1510's old 5kW nighttime coverage was actually superior.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom