• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMEX?

It amazes me........there are a slew of people I know on FB who complain constantly about the crap on RKO in the morning and in the noon to three slot, yet they continue to listen, I've explained that listening = ratings and ratings = more airtime.

It only equals ratings if you have a PPM, or a diary in a smaller market. So listen away and complain all you want. Unless Nielsen is measuring your household, you won't be perpetuating something you claim to dislike.

It amazes me........there are a slew of people I know on FB who complain constantly about the crap on RKO in the morning and in the noon to three slot, yet they continue to listen, I've explained that listening = ratings and ratings = more airtime.

It only equals ratings if you have a PPM, or a diary in a smaller market. So listen away and complain all you want. Unless Nielsen is measuring your household, you won't be perpetuating something you claim to dislike.

Um, I'm not the one complaining.......

I have a bad feeling that they are going to go dark.

Hmmm, I don't know - RR has said "new owners take over on Friday" - I don't listen intently to them
because they tend to get ridiculous real quick so perhaps they've said something about it that I've missed.
"Sandy" hasn't said a word about it yet. I'm guessing/hoping come Friday she says something about where she'll be, I enjoy her show.

Today was the third day in a row that "Sandy" started her show with......before I talk about politics I want to talk about something else........and I'm thinking, oh good, she's going to address the station issue....nope....not Monday, not Tuesday, not Today, maybe tomorrow?.....hoping she says something!

Yes, Sandy has been coy about any departure news. Truth be told, I will miss that station a bit. They were different from what is available normally these days.

They said on the Oldies show tonight that after Friday they're going dark, but hopefully someone will buy it in a few weeks.

Is that someone lined up? Maybe legal stuff has to be done first? And do they really have a transmitter site ready, like the current one, renegotatiated as some say? Hey wanna buy a car? Oh: no engine.

They said on the Oldies show tonight that after Friday they're going dark, but hopefully someone will buy it in a few weeks.

It appears oldies show is out of the loop, RR has been saying for days that the new owners take over after tomorrow June 30th. RR will still be on the air but not on WMEX, you have to download their app which is on the MEX website.

Yes, Sandy has been coy about any departure news. Truth be told, I will miss that station a bit. They were different from what is available normally these days.

I'm hoping the new owners keep her, she's intelligent, she does fantastic show prep, there's no drama (like koooona), there's no hysteria (like kooooona) she's a lawyer and explains legal things intelligently (unlike kooooona) and she knows how to handle "certain" callers, like Bill and Scott, she shuts them down and puts them in their place and demands respect - caller Scott called into Savage's show yesterday and Lou Pate sitting in for Savage caught on to his schtick right away.

Hi to Bryan B of Renegade who I guess is razzing us (so i have heard)...hey we're radio geeks and we haven't heard anything official tho I did hear the 6/26 podcast.We're just wondering what The New NEW WMEX will be like.

I don't know if the Bill caller is Howie's Bill From E Hartford (on welfare for 30 years;sounds like a setup, comedy caller but who knows) and Howie used to get "Scott from the Cape" who was outrageous.
As before Koonah over enunciates because you are "goingk" to be "seeingk" some shocking thingks, my friends.

Hi to Bryan B of Renegade who I guess is razzing us (so i have heard)...hey we're radio geeks and we haven't heard anything official tho I did hear the 6/26 podcast.We're just wondering what The New NEW WMEX will be like.

Yep they spoke about how jealous we are of them and how they don't really care what we have to say. They spent a half hour going on about how much they don't care what we say! Seems to me if they didn't care they wouldn't bother mentioning this board at all.

I don't know if the Bill caller is Howie's Bill From E Hartford (on welfare for 30 years;sounds like a setup, comedy caller but who knows) and Howie used to get "Scott from the Cape" who was outrageous.
As before Koonah over enunciates because you are "goingk" to be "seeingk" some shocking thingks, my friends.

The Bill that calls MEX is from Braintree, seems to be very well liked off air, has his own business and is quite successful, but when he calls in he spews liberal craziness. Scott is from Worcester and hates Jewish people, I'm sure you've heard him over the years, he used to call into RKO a lot, he discovered MEX a few months ago.

OK that's the Scott I know of who called through the years.
@bostonradio heard Renegade show say they're renting the Quincy studio to do comedy bits production for their streaming show and will do a farewell show on air 3-6 pm tomorrow

I'm hoping the new owners keep her

She should cut a promo tape and send it to the program director at RKO. Maybe they'll give her the 12-3 slot. It would be a refreshing change.

Granted, I only listen to RKO from 12-1, at which time I swap over to John DePetro (who I've listened to for decades as I've stalked him around the dial :) ) but there are days -- more and more of them it seems -- where even the 12-1 segment is unlistenable.

Free advertising for the board! Not that it would get much traffic from the 10 listeners of that show.

I don't know if the Bill caller is Howie's Bill From E Hartford (on welfare for 30 years;sounds like a setup, comedy caller but who knows)

How anyone could think "Bill from Hartford" is anything other than a show-fabricated caller is beyond me. The "act" is a bit over the edge. Reel it in a little, might be more believable.

renting the Quincy studio to do comedy bits

must be very, very small bits.

A serious question for the radio "pros"... I can understand why "conservative" talk radio doesn't last in Massachusetts, given its vast liberal-left majority. However... why has a "liberal" talk format never worked in Boston? A true liberal talk format, not something akin to the two nitwits who say they're more "center-right" on RKO in the morning?

I would think true leftist programming, a "CNN" talk format complete with Trump/Russia conspiracy theories, would get a lot of traction, no?

It could and has been tried.Some on the left may enjoy WBUR and WGBH news talk.Some college stations do local or national prog talk shows (Thom Hartmann, Democracy Now) and CC tried it with 1200/1430, and Santos had 1510. RKO had someone on Saturday nights. TKK had Barnicle, Braude etc.

Conservative or libertarian talk may do "OK" because there are some who disagree with the overall blue state.Some listeners may be conservative on fiscal, military, immigration etc but more liberal on things like gay or abortion rights.

So why doesn't prog talk work here? Again it's been tried but maybe those on the left are more into what public radio does.And they do get high ratings.
Nationally prog talk has also had a tough time and after awhile station owners changed formats to sports, conserv talk, ethnic etc Conserv talk also taking hits lately. And other media like cable networks, the Net etc can feature prog talk.
Some listeners may get it via streaming or podcasts, satellite radio etc Public radio too has suffered from people turning to podcasts (tho again 89.7 and 90.9 do well).Don't know if such podcasts are free or pay.Donations to public radio are down.

Hearing second hand, not sure if true, that Jimmy C said last night that the oldies show tonite, Thu 6-29 is the last one and the switch gets turned off 6 pm Fri 6-30 presumably after Renegade's swan song and there may not be a buyer as of yet.

Hearing second hand, not sure if true, that Jimmy C said last night that the oldies show tonite, Thu 6-29 is the last one and the switch gets turned off 6 pm Fri 6-30 presumably after Renegade's swan song and there may not be a buyer as of yet.

RR has said repeatedly that the new owners take over after tomorrow making it sound like there are actually new owners or perhaps we should be reading between the lines - the station hasn't been sold yet and after tomorrow (they're hoping) there will be new owners - RR have rented out the studio they are currently broadcasting from in Marina Bay and will be on the air Monday, but, not broadcasting over the air as WMEX, they have an app that can be downloaded from the WMEX website and for the stupid old folk who don't know about apps...you can go to the WMEX website on Monday and click "listen live" - John spent a lot of time the last couple of days insulting older listeners.

When I said Thom Hartmann may be on college stations, I meant some commercial ones like WCAP.
Prog talk has stations in the boonies like Brattleboro VT and Bangor ME (helps that politically simpatico Stephen King owns that one)
For WMEX an authorization to go silent may not have been filed yet but there may be a grace period to do so.Maybe can be off for up to 6 months? WRCA was off for about 5.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom