• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Used fiberglass dish

Trying to find out info about a used Comtech 3.8m fiberglass dish i'm looking at. My main concern is age(unknown at this time). How long until a fiberglass dish would just be considered junk? I'm sure it loses it's shape after sitting in the sun for a long time. There would be no way to fix this on a fiberglass dish. Trying to determine if it is even worth driving up and looking at.

We have a 3.8 meter Comtech solid fiberglass dish, 2 degree compliant. I bought it 17 years ago and it's solid as a rock. I had thought about replacing it but was told I don't need to.

Years ago a TV station i worked for installed a 4.2m fiberglass dish at the transmitter site (on a hilltop)...
The dish itself was assembled from 4 - 90 degree "quadrants" bolted together...a PIA to put together, but it worked well....until..
The "environmentalists" in the area complained the dish was an eyesore....so our station management - in an effort to appease them - PAINTED the dish DARK GREEN!!!
When the summer sun started blasting down on it.....it distorted enough to actually de-tune and cause signal fades and drop-outs!!
We were using what were THEN considered top-of-the-line, "low noise" California Microwave LNAs (85*K H, 89*K V)....the system used 70 MHz baseband input vs block conversion....
No problem during winter or other (cooler) times of the year, though, IIRC.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom