• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

93.7 The River

KQJK flipped to classic rock around 12am April 3rd. Strange, I didn't hear a Legal ID so not sure if the calls have changed. Last song played on Jack FM was either "Purple Rain" or "Baby I Love Your Way" (Frampton). Been listening to the first 10 minutes and hearing nothing but your standard classic rock staples with some 90's thrown in. The presentation kind of reminds me of the old Arrow KXOA.

Last edited:
KQJK flipped to classic rock around 12am April 3rd. Strange, I didn't hear a Legal ID so not sure if the calls have changed. Last song played on Jack FM was either "Purple Rain" or "Baby I Love Your Way" (Frampton). Been listening to the first 10 minutes and hearing nothing but your standard classic rock staples with some 90's thrown in. The presentation kind of reminds me of the old Arrow KXOA.

The new call letters are KYRV.

So the same old same old, it sounds like. What the Eagle and 98 Rock are playing, minus any recent music.

Who do you have to sleep with to get a AAA format in Sac? ;)

Who do you have to sleep with to get a AAA format in Sac? ;)

How many successful new AAA formatted stations have there been in the last two decades? And even more to the point, how many of them have there been in PPM markets?

There are reasons: low ratings and slow growth to even get to that level. Aging demos for the format. Major failures such as KSCA in LA.

Most owners will not take the risk as the potential return is small to begin with.

My question is: will they NOW take requests ?

Why in the world would they? I would not give control of my radio station over to a person whose only qualification is the ability to send a text.

The River used to be a killer Oldies station. Another one bites the dust......

Huh? The station had been a franchised Jack adult hits station for the last 12 years.

Huh? The station had been a franchised Jack adult hits station for the last 12 years.

I said USED to be.

I am an infrequent visitor to the Reno area and haven't been able to listen to them since they quit streaming so.......

I said USED to be.

I am an infrequent visitor to the Reno area and haven't been able to listen to them since they quit streaming so.......

We are discussing Sacramento, not Reno.

Why in the world would they? I would not give control of my radio station over to a person whose only qualification is the ability to send a text.

I really don't think any station takes request anymore, the music on a hard drive and programmed in advanced, except for specialty programs like "90s at Noon" or 80s Hair Metal at 8".

As far as the River, to me sounds like your basic Classic Rock station 60s -90s, with an occasional "00s", like #Three Doors Down, all they did was pull Prince, Michael Jackson , 80s New Wave, and mainstream hits and added more Classic Rock songs.

I really don't think any station takes request anymore, the music on a hard drive and programmed in advanced, except for specialty programs like "90s at Noon" or 80s Hair Metal at 8".

As far as the River, to me sounds like your basic Classic Rock station 60s -90s, with an occasional "00s", like #Three Doors Down, all they did was pull Prince, Michael Jackson , 80s New Wave, and mainstream hits and added more Classic Rock songs.

JammerDave can correct me but at one point, I don't think 93.7 even had a dedicated studio at iHeart. In recent years, they've moved to a new building so that very well could've changed. I know that was the case for 93.1 when it was Classic 93.1.

How many successful new AAA formatted stations have there been in the last two decades? And even more to the point, how many of them have there been in PPM markets?

There are reasons: low ratings and slow growth to even get to that level. Aging demos for the format. Major failures such as KSCA in LA.

Most owners will not take the risk as the potential return is small to begin with.

What about golden oldies? :)

I kid, I kid. All joking aside, you know the definition of insanity right? Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

One would think if a station keeps changing formats (KJQK is excluded from this comment since it's been Jack for some time) maybe it wouldn't hurt to try something new (or maybe old).

Last edited:
No, Jack had it's own studio. We have done some studio shuffling though...

df

JammerDave can correct me but at one point, I don't think 93.7 even had a dedicated studio at iHeart. In recent years, they've moved to a new building so that very well could've changed. I know that was the case for 93.1 when it was Classic 93.1.

I have streamed 93.7 For years at work with about 10 people, This station was used the most, others that I rotated were Jack-Fm 93.1 KCBS, K-Earth 101.1, KOLA 99.9, and for Active Rock, Rock 96.7 Modesto, and some others, I live in Fresno and the only Classic Rock/ Hits station is KJFX 95.7 and must only have a 400 song playlist, so you see why I stream, and I will still listen to The River with the change, because it's still better than KJFX 95.7, and also Sacramento has more overall choices of Rock than Fresno, The Eagle is better than the Fox. Fresno has many more R&B ONLY stations.

Last edited:

Interestingly enough, I was just in Reno and saw a TV ad for their AAA station. "The X" is giving away $5,000 in a contest. I don't have access to ratings but I've heard it's quite successful. So much that they saw competition for a couple of years from a public station - KJIV. That one is gone now, leaving only KTHX. But I don't think it's a PPM market and KTHX is pretty much a heritage station. I can think of several successful AAA public stations tho. That audience is passionate about their music and willing to donate to a listener-supported station. Realistically, that's probably the future of AAA radio in many markets.

Dave B.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom