• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bell Media closes Detroit office

50kguy

Frequent Participant
Detroit News (http://www.detroitnews.com/story/en...can-office-cuts-morning-show-others/99835170/) reports Bell Media has closed its Detroit sales office along with laying off 12 people (including the members of the 89X air staff). Back in the Big 8 days, CKLW made most of its revenue on the Detroit side of the river. CKWW still sounds more Detroit than Windsor. I don't think Blackburn, the other commercial operator in Windsor, has ever expressed much interest in the US part of the market. Any idea how much revenue Bell was bringing in from American advertisers? I assume they can still service the accounts from the studio. One of my former bosses insisted radio could only be sold from a car, so do the account executives really need an office?

When CKLW closed their US sales office in 1984, they completely changed the format to standards, but eventually changed from that into Windsor centric talk. CKLW is usually the highest rated station in Windsor. I doubt that CIMX or the other Bell properties were drawing much US revenue. CKWW does get some, but they likely don't need a US office to retain their accounts. I think this is just a matter of the office wasn't making enough sales to justify its existence.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom