• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Affiliates outside a team's home region

When I lived in Spokane WA in the late 90s, I remember that one local station actually broadcast full seasons of Oakland Raiders football. So what team affiliates, now or in the past, do you know that are far away from their team's home region? And why did that station pick that team?

The Raiders and Cowboys have national radio networks.

Here in Phoenix, KGME (then on 1360) aired Chicago Bears games for a couple of years in the mid 1990s. The Cowboys have also had a Phoenix presence off and on over the last couple of decades, prior to the current national network.

WAUG-AM in Raleigh broadcasts Sunday afternoon Redskins games, but no primetime games as they're a daytime only station. They also have affiliates in Fayetteville, New Bern, Greenville, Weldon, Nags Head and Gastonia, all in North Carolina, home territory for the Panthers. In addition, pre-season games are aired on ABC affiliate WSOC. The Nationals also have an affiliate in Las Vegas (KXST-AM), the hometown of Bryce Harper.

As a diehard Redskins and Orioles fan (I grew up in Baltimore after the Colts and before the Ravens which explains my two market loyalty), I hate to admit it, but the arch-rivals in both sports, the Yankees and Cowgirls, have a very robust radio network.

Last time I checked, the Yankees have several affiliates in Southern Florida due to it being New York's southernmost county, the Steinbrenners having a longtime connection to Tampa, and the fact that the Rays and Marlins have had on-again, off-again seasons.

Dallas has a huge network reaching into western VA, eastern WA, HI, and ol' Mexico City.

Radio-X

Back in the late 70s, the Yankees had an affiliate in Lafayette, LA the home of Ron Guidry their star pitcher of the day.

The Steelers currently have radio affiliates in Columbus and Bellevue, Ohio. Only one state over but beyond the portion of Ohio that can be considered the Steelers' home region. Bellevue is halfway between Cleveland and Toledo, firmly in Browns country, and Columbus is of course between Cincinnati and Cleveland. Steelers are a distant third in fan support in central Ohio but their fans, perhaps not surprisingly, are a vocal minority.

Don't know if this is still the case or not, but at one time, the baseball Cardinals had an affiliate station as far away as Rockford, IL. I would have to assume that that area is Cubs/White Sox territory.

Cubs have a few (according to their website)

Ft. Myers, FL: WSFX 1240-AM
Kalamazoo, MI: WQLR 1660-AM
Las Vegas, NV: KXST 1140-AM
Lincoln, NE: KNTK 93.7-FM
Naples, FL: WNOG 1270-AM
Omaha, NE: KOMJ 1490-AM/104.1-FM
Petoskey, MI: WJML 1110-AM
Traverse City, MI: WJNL 1210-AM/101.1-FM
Vermillion, SD: KVTK 1570-AM

Dallas has a huge network reaching into western VA, eastern WA, HI, and ol' Mexico City.
even further than that now

This season the Cowboys have partnered with Compass Media Networks to deliver Cowboys' fans living in markets not covered by the Cowboys Radio Network access to games on terrestrial radio.

ALABAMA
Florence, AL - WBCF-AM 1240
ALASKA
Anchorage, AK – KHAR-AM 590
ARKANSAS
Benton, AR – KAFN-AM 690AM
Benton, AR – KAFN-AM 93.7 FM
Ft. Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale, AR – KHGG-FM 103.1
Gurdon, AR - KYXK-FM 106.9
Hot Springs, AR – KWPS-FM 99.7
Jonesboro, AR – KNEA-AM 970
Little Rock, AR – KASR-FM 92.7
Pine Bluff, AR - KHUC-FM 99.3
ARIZONA
Phoenix, AZ – KDUS-AM 1060
CALIFORNIA
Fresno, CA - KFPT-AM 790
Fresno, CA - KFIG-AM 940
Los Angeles, CA – KLAC-AM 570
Los Angeles, CA – KEIB-AM 1150
COLORADO
Colorado Springs, CO – KRDO-AM 1240
Colorado Springs, CO – KRDO-FM 105.5
HAWAII
Hilo, HI – KHLO-AM 850
Honolulu, HI – KGU-AM 760
Kealakekua, HI – KKON-AM 790
ILLINOIS
Quincy-Hannibal-Keokuk, IL WVIL-FM 101.3
KANSAS
Americus, KS - KHDL-FM 99.5
Asbury, KS - KWXD-FM 103.5
Chaunte, KS - KKOY-AM 1460
Garden City, KS – KGGS-AM 1340
Independence, KS - KBIK-FM 102.9
Joplin, KS - WMBH-AM 1560
Kiowa, KS - KQZQ-FM 98.5
Ness City, KS - KXNC-FM 104.7
Topeka, KS - WIBW-AM 580
Wichita-Hutchinson, KS - KFH-FM 98.7
Wichita-Hutchinson, KS - KFH-AM 1240
LOUISIANA
Alexandria, LA - KDBS-AM 1410
MINNESOTA
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN – WMIN-AM 1010
MISSOURI
Buffalo, MO - KBFL-FM 99.9
Houston, MO - KUNQ-FM 99.3
Springfield, MO KWTO-FM 98.7
NEBRASKA
Lincoln-Hastings-Kearney, NE – KNTK-FM 93.7
NEW MEXICO
Clayton, NM - KLMX-AM 1450
Santa Fe, NM – KVSF-AM 1400
Santa Fe, NM – KNMZ-FM 103.7
OKLAHOMA
Broken Bow, OK - KIBE-FM 104.9
Guymon, OK – KGYN-AM 1210
Oklahoma City, OK - KCLI-FM 99.3
Oklahoma City, OK - KCLI-AM 1320
Red Oak, OK - KWLB-FM 93.1
Tulsa, OK – KGND-AM 1470
Tulsa, OK – KITO-FM 96.1
Woodward, OK – KMZE-FM 92.1
PENNSYLVANIA
State College, PA WRSC-AM 1390
TENNESSEE
Bartlet, TN - WMFS-FM 92.9
Memphis, TN - WMC-AM 790
Memphis, TN - WMFS-AM 680
TEXAS
Dallhart, TX KXIT-AM 1240
Houston, TX – KFNC-AM 97.5
Houston, TX – KGOW-AM 1560
VIRGINIA
Lynchburg, VA - WBRG-AM 1050
Richmond, VA WRNL-AM 910
Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA WLVA-AM 580
WASHINGTON
Seattle, WA - KFNQ-AM 1090
Spokane, WA- KGA-AM 1510

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/radio-broadcast-information

The Cincinnati Reds used to have an affiliate in Tampa when that was their spring training home (WDAE maybe?). For a long time, the Reds had an affiliate in Crawforsdville, Indiana which was more Cubs country. (I don't even know if Indianapolis still has a Reds affiliate). WDOH, Delphos, Ohio used to carry the Cleveland Indians in the 70s. Delphos is on the opposite side of the state and I don't believe the Indians had the following then that they have now. That area was still Reds country. I worked at WSAL in Logansport IN for awhile in the 80s and they carried the White Sox. Who outside of the immediate Chicago area cared about the White Sox?
As far as I know, no Knoxville TN station carried the Colts or the Broncos when hometown hero Peyton Manning was playing.

In the '60s and early/mid '70s, the Mets had a Northern New England affiliate, WMTW-FM Poland Spring, ME -- now WHOM, Mount Washington, NH -- that was on the network purely because the owner of the team, Joan Payson, had a summer home in Maine and wanted to be able to hear their games.

Also in the late '60s or maybe early '70s, the Red Sox had a Wyoming affiliate on their radio network. Not sure what the story was behind that one. Something for Curt Gowdy to listen to?

The Cincinnati Reds used to have an affiliate in Tampa when that was their spring training home (WDAE maybe?). For a long time, the Reds had an affiliate in Crawforsdville, Indiana which was more Cubs country. (I don't even know if Indianapolis still has a Reds affiliate). WDOH, Delphos, Ohio used to carry the Cleveland Indians in the 70s. Delphos is on the opposite side of the state and I don't believe the Indians had the following then that they have now. That area was still Reds country. I worked at WSAL in Logansport IN for awhile in the 80s and they carried the White Sox. Who outside of the immediate Chicago area cared about the White Sox?
As far as I know, no Knoxville TN station carried the Colts or the Broncos when hometown hero Peyton Manning was playing.

Speaking of the Indians in western Ohio, WPTW in Piqua was an affiliate for years. That part of the state, as you said, is squarely Reds country ... to the point where Indians games are not even available on TV there (other than, of course, buying Extra Innings to see them). Even in Lima and Bellefontaine where the Indians have affiliates and are available on TV, you can argue that isn't Indians territory. The Reds are overwhelmingly popular in those areas.
On the other side of the state, WTIG-AM (990) in Massillon - 60 miles south of Cleveland - is an affiliate of the Reds, Bengals and Blue Jackets. That's outside the Reds TV territory and on the edge of that of the Jackets, who are blacked out in many pockets of northeast Ohio because the Penguins will not cede territory or share much land with the CBJ.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom