• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can CNN begin an hour w/o the breaking news banner?

seatownmedia

Star Participant
Seriously, this has gotten so bad that almost every hour of CNN is lead off with the "Breaking News" banner. Sometimes it is, mostly it is not. Reminds me of my childhood story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", (no pun intended). Seriously, CNN, back it down a notch...or provide a higher alert so atleast we can decipher what is really breaking and what is really important. Perhaps bring back the outdated word "bulletin" for the most serious stories. I am tired of CNN's Breaking News coverage of a continueing news story with little new information.

I agree, although the intent is to create excitement, which keeps people watching.

If they started each hour by saying "Here's the same stuff we told you last hour," would you stay or switch?

Isn't the saying, "The News Channel Who Cried Breaking News" also used to describe Fox News, as some people will say the same thing about them, because they always lead off with the "News Alert"/"Alert" banner?

Last edited:
Seriously, this has gotten so bad that almost every hour of CNN is lead off with the "Breaking News" banner. Sometimes it is, mostly it is not. Reminds me of my childhood story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", (no pun intended). Seriously, CNN, back it down a notch...or provide a higher alert so atleast we can decipher what is really breaking and what is really important. Perhaps bring back the outdated word "bulletin" for the most serious stories. I am tired of CNN's Breaking News coverage of a continueing news story with little new information.

Well most of the time the breaking news label on Cable News/Talk is all political gossip when I watch it though.

I notice the same trend among local stations when they start their 6 & 11 newscasts, almost always begin with a breaking news intro.

the overuse of the term "Breaking News" has been pretty bad in the last few years. in fact "Newstainment" likes to keep using the "Breaking News" banner on a story long after the breaking news is past the point of it being breaking news and becomes a "Developing Story" or "Breaking New Details" phase of the story.

At least my local 24/7 news channel, Bay News 9 knows when to use "Breaking News" or not in the story's "New Details" phase.

But doesn't another propaganda news channel use the "ALERT" banner
banner not only at the top and bottom of the hour but continuously
throughout the day and night. Every day, all day and every night!

But doesn't another propaganda news channel use the "ALERT" banner
banner not only at the top and bottom of the hour but continuously
throughout the day and night. Every day, all day and every night!

Are you talking about RT or Fox News (or both)?

I notice the same trend among local stations when they start their 6 & 11 newscasts, almost always begin with a breaking news intro.

But Wait when local TV stations use breaking news label its for different reasons though. For local TV that usually means I-85 has melted in Atlanta, Or a wildfire in the San Gabriel Mountains or a police shooting or a quake and usually local TV stations send a drone unit or a chopper for those reasons and use breaking news for those reasons only.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom