• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rumor alert: 101.1

Dead Air Today.

I've got an UPS that I will give them if that's what they need. I think Enter*** is having financial problems. Did you hear about their two stations fined $220K for indecency? Then there's the payola scandal they were involved in. That explains how some of that music gets played. Some of it is so bad nobody would play it otherwise. And, don't even mention Sacramento!
And they want to buy the CBS radio group. Sounds like they can't take care of what they have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an UPS that I will give them if that's what they need. I think Entercom is having financial problems. Did you hear about their two stations fined $220K for indecency? Then there's the payola scandal they were involved in. That explains how some of that music gets played. Some of it is so bad nobody would play it otherwise. And, don't even mention Sacramento!
And they want to buy the CBS radio group. Sounds like they can't take care of what they have now.

Entercom already bought CBS Radio via a Reverse Morris Trust deal, and they are just waiting for regulatory approval to close.

There was no "payola scandal". The state attorney general of New York, a person who was amply discredited later on, looked into the general industry practices of receiving compensation for "reporting rights" to independent promoters. That case occurred over 10 years ago, and attempted to label as "payola" the entirely legal practice of selling advertising time to record companies ("payola" is the practice where a station staffer takes compensation for playing music without management's consent). Entercom paid a settlement to make the investigation go away.

The indecency fine was for content broadcast 15 years ago. The FCC actions, pushed by Commissioner Copps, came in the aftermath of the Janet Jackson incident, when the FCC was somewhat obsessed with indecency. The determination of "indecency" involved significant interpretation of "community standards" on the part commissioners Martin and Copps.

Both of those cases happened in "ancient history" and have little relevance today, particularly since each was very much tied to a state attorney and an FCC commissioner who are no longer in their positions and who left no lasting stamp on the industry.

Last edited:
It should be interesting to see how Enter*** runs the CBS group. Can't wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be interesting to see how Entercom runs the CBS group. Can't wait.

Probably they will run it quite well. They are the best performing larger group in the industry.

Last edited:
I'm especially interested in how Entercom will run V-103. Entercom seems to voice track the 7PM-midnight shows on their music stations. V-103 has always been live and local around the clock.

Entercom does not own the 101.1 translator. The HD2 signal seems to be a placeholder for whenever 1310 comes back on.

In other 101.1 news they got a notice of violation from the FCC for operating on 123.05mHz back in June or July.

Entercom does not own the 101.1 translator. The HD2 signal seems to be a placeholder for whenever 1310 comes back on.

In other 101.1 news they got a notice of violation from the FCC for operating on 123.05mHz back in June or July.

There is FCC paper work date July 17 that shows Davis will buy it for $400,000 and they are LMAing it for $1250 a month:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101760653&qnum=5030&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

The FCC 345 says it will be a fill in for 1310:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...t=25&appn=101760653&formid=345&fac_num=147273

IIRC Davis does Hispanic in Atlanta. I don't which "flavor". Could 1310 / 101.1 coupled with 102.3 and 100.1 could be a threat to 105.3?

Last edited:

Got a link to this NAL? Can't find it on the EB site.

If so, that is serious business. Putting out harmonics into the aircraft band is a surefire way to get fined bigtime. And it should be. One thing I learned this year as an RF Interference Mitigation Technician training, is that a quick way to get FCC EB folks to roll is cause interference to aircraft.

The FCC 345 says it will be a fill in for 1310:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...t=25&appn=101760653&formid=345&fac_num=147273

IIRC Davis does Hispanic in Atlanta. I don't which "flavor". Could 1310 / 101.1 coupled with 102.3 and 100.1 could be a threat to 105.3?

Davis does Regional Mexican, same as iHeart's El Patron 105.3.

Has Davis confirmed that they will be simulcasting La Raza 102.3/100.1? I would imagine they are since the other two don't get ITP.

Where will the new home be for 1310?

123.05??? Most stations have a harmonic filter on the output. But they were probably using a Chinese transmitter from Ebay which skimps on such things as that.
Heard 1310 on the air last weekend running the same "buy radio" automation programming. But haven't heard it since.

Why would anyone in their right mind use an "ebay" special. BSW has lots of rack mounted "boxes" for under 10 grand. If you are really lucky and can find a used Nautel that still works buy it. There is cheap and then there is stupid.

You answered your own question. 10 Grand. An Ebay Chinese transmitter is under $100. I tried running the numbers and I don't see how it could emanate 123 MHz. The nearest harmonic I found of the master oscillator would put it around 126 MHz.

Isn’t 101.1 owned by a “translator squatter”. Whoever buys it is going to do a “tech due diligence”. An “eBay special” would raise red flags. If I had equipment at this site I would make double sure everything was “correct” because the FCC may make a “visit” to the building.

IMHO Davis had better run 101.1 “squeaky clean” when they get 1310 up and running. The commission most likely will monitor this for a while. I personally would spend a few extra bucks to do field tests to make sure the directional antenna was installed correctly too. One would think harmonic issues bad enough to attract the FCC would show up in the reflected power due to the “narrow band” nature of a directional antenna. Do the rack mounted “boxes” have test points on them? The two guys I personally knew who did installations and contract repairs for a living, would have tested the exciter in a dummy load regardless of whoever made the rig.

I also can’t to the math to get 123.05 MHz. Could there be some kind of intermodulation with something else at the site. Back in the mid 1970’s Hamilton County TN had their dispatch for the volunteer fire departments on the 106.7 Chattanooga tower. Every once in a while we would get about 2 or 3 seconds of music then could talk.

Isn’t 101.1 owned by a “translator squatter”. Whoever buys it is going to do a “tech due diligence”. An “eBay special” would raise red flags. If I had equipment at this site I would make double sure everything was “correct” because the FCC may make a “visit” to the building.

All the more reason to nail them with a huge fine. Turds. Interfere with public safety, and one should be charged under homeland security as a criminal offender. As someone who manages vital public safety radio infrastructure for a living, it will be hell fire for the first person or entity that causes harmful interference to any of the systems I maintain. I will use the full force of both Federal and state resources to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

As was said by Lark Hadley himself who just happened to be in the RFIM class I took earlier this year to get my RFIM certification from ETA: there are two things the FCC will act quickly and swiftly to: aircraft band interference and public safety communications. And that is how it SHOULD be.

Obviously its not a harmonic. Some sort of spur out of the PA most likely. Or the darn thing decided to "park itself up the band". Either way, it apparently sat there for a week before it got taken care of. Not a good thing---at all.

I had a case a few years ago, north of Atlanta where a translator was wiping out a station i deal with. The translator was "lighting up the dial" with spurs. To their credit, when I made them aware, it was off in a matter of minutes. Not A week! Wow.

Ellijay has added an interference complaint to 101.1's woes. WLJA says listeners are experiencing interference in the Canton area---among other locations.

IIRC WLJA 101.1 plays mostly Southern Gospel. Not a powerful demo with ad agencies, but they are just about the only station playing Southern Gospel on a reasonably good FM signal in this area daily. They do have a lot of “local” commercials. As with any music type, there are some very loyal listeners in their audience so any kind of interference would get reported. One would think south of Woodstock not Canton would be an issue.

As I stated before (8/15/17), I personally would pay for a field check of the “directional effectiveness” of the antenna and the whole transmission plant as soon as I had title to the station. I believe there was a modification of a CP where they changed the antenna manufacturer that could be part of the problem.

BTW: Youngers does pay attention to FCC orders:
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...t=25&appn=101763532&formid=911&fac_num=147273

I see that 1310 WJZA has applied for a cross service translator on 96.5 early this month that would broadcast from Decatur.So maybe 101.1 is not for that purpose.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom