• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jazz/NPR KNKX in The Top 10 in Seattle?

I wasn't actually knocking KUOW. I think they do a great job as activists telling the stories they choose to tell. Though you are correct, they do select stories aimed toward one specific side of the spectrum which resonates with a large percentage of the Seattle audience. Makes perfect programming sense. Whether intentional or not. Probably also the reason why Air America didn't work here, KUOW OWNS that segment of the market and does it very well.

Might also be part of the reason KNKX is doing well as I mentioned.

Last edited:
I wasn't actually knocking KUOW. I think they do a great job as activists telling the stories they choose to tell. Though you are correct, they do select stories aimed toward one specific side of the spectrum which resonates with a large percentage of the Seattle audience. Makes perfect programming sense. Whether intentional or not. Probably also the reason why Air America didn't work here, KUOW OWNS that segment of the market and does it very well.

Might also be part of the reason KNKX is doing well as I mentioned.

The staff at KUOW are not "activists", they are actual journalists who actually take the time to get the facts straight and report in the most objective, clean, hype-free and intelligent way possible. They, along with a few on the print side (remember them?), have bucked the trend in this ridiculous notion you must be first on a story and threw away the "it bleeds, it leads" mantra.

The KUOW difference in journalism is how they do not chase ambulances, nor are they a source for "breaking news" (the most overused catchphrase in modern times).

Look at the top six stories on these three sources to see the differences (and for additional context, I'll copy the headlines verbatim from each source):

KING5.com
Two people killed in Everett house fire
ST3 backlash: Lawyers demand Sound Transit email and records
Video catches ocean polluters in the act
Protests boost art supply store sales
Tim Eyman sued by state over alleged campaign finance violations
The April Fools Day prank that sent Seattle into a panic

KNKX.org
Echoes Of Past Ring Loudly At WWII Internment Anniversary Ceremony
Facing Death Threats And A Ban On His Novel, A Palestinian Author Flees
A Presidency Stalled And Sputtering
France's National Front Party Draws Young Voters To The Far-Right
For Egyptian Collector, No Object's Too Dusty Or Trivial For 'Mosaic Of Our History'
How Schools Are Like Uber, Trump U Settlement, And Other Education News Of The Week

KUOW.org
I'm a woman of color with cancer. Here's why I can't find a bone marrow donor
Worst mumps outbreak since the ‘70s? Low vaccine rates could be culprit
Pot brings $168M to Washington state. How do we spend it?
UW profs urge Trump not to kill EnergyStar
Arkansas Readies For 8 Executions, Despite Outcry Over Pace, Method

Several of those KUOW stories listed are organic, meaning their own reporters dig up the facts. KNKX relies mostly on spoon-fed journalism from NPR based mostly on national and international stories.

Actual journalism and not going for the sensationalism is not "activism," it's something that, sadly, is a foreign concept to today's media.

The staff at KUOW are not "activists", they are actual journalists who actually take the time to get the facts straight and report in the most objective, clean, hype-free and intelligent way possible. They, along with a few on the print side (remember them?), have bucked the trend in this ridiculous notion you must be first on a story and threw away the "it bleeds, it leads" mantra.

The KUOW difference in journalism is how they do not chase ambulances, nor are they a source for "breaking news" (the most overused catchphrase in modern times).

Look at the top six stories on these three sources to see the differences (and for additional context, I'll copy the headlines verbatim from each source):

KING5.com
Two people killed in Everett house fire
ST3 backlash: Lawyers demand Sound Transit email and records
Video catches ocean polluters in the act
Protests boost art supply store sales
Tim Eyman sued by state over alleged campaign finance violations
The April Fools Day prank that sent Seattle into a panic

KNKX.org
Facing Death Threats And A Ban On His Novel, A Palestinian Author Flees
A Presidency Stalled And Sputtering
France's National Front Party Draws Young Voters To The Far-Right
For Egyptian Collector, No Object's Too Dusty Or Trivial For 'Mosaic Of Our History'
How Schools Are Like Uber, Trump U Settlement, And Other Education News Of The Week

KUOW.org
I'm a woman of color with cancer. Here's why I can't find a bone marrow donor
Worst mumps outbreak since the ‘70s? Low vaccine rates could be culprit
Pot brings $168M to Washington state. How do we spend it?
UW profs urge Trump not to kill EnergyStar
Arkansas Readies For 8 Executions, Despite Outcry Over Pace, Method

Several of those KUOW stories listed are organic, meaning their own reporters dig up the facts. KNKX relies mostly on spoon-fed journalism from NPR based mostly on national and international stories.

Actual journalism and not going for the sensationalism is not "activism," it's something that, sadly, is a foreign concept to today's media.

Agreed. There is a VAST difference between public radio news and corporate media news. AQH explained it perfectly.

We were talking about the difference between the news on two public stations, not corporate ones. My point was that K-HUE-O-W is more social justice warrior oriented in their local coverage than KNKX. As well they select different NPR stories to delete in order to fit in more local content in the morning and afternoon drive. If you also listen to NWPR they are even less social justice oriented. My suggestion was that this could explain why there are two different audiences in the Seattle market area being served by these two stations, differentiated by the angle of the local content.

My point was that K-HUE-O-W is more social justice warrior oriented in their local coverage than KNKX.

Is that a bad thing? Are issues of importance to people of color, the LGBT community, the poor, disabled and elderly not worthy of reporting?

Just asking. Because if KUOW's news is not your cup of tea, you do have other local radio alternatives. And if KUOW's news only appeals to "social justice warriors", as you put it, well, it keeps them listening to the radio too.

And all is well....

If you read up the thread you would know my answer to your question. No there is nothing wrong with being social justice warriors. I think they do a great job of reporting what they report. I was just pointing out a distinction that goes to the point of why there is room for two good public radio news departments in the ratings.

I was just pointing out a distinction that goes to the point of why there is room for two good public radio news departments in the ratings.

Which is why the people of Seattle were willing to donate over $6 million of their own personal money to retain the two independent stations, rather than make KPLU a part of KUOW. And all of it is demonstrated in the OP of this thread.

If you read up the thread you would know my answer to your question. No there is nothing wrong with being social justice warriors. I think they do a great job of reporting what they report. I was just pointing out a distinction that goes to the point of why there is room for two good public radio news departments in the ratings.

The inaccuracy is how you name-call KUOW staff as being "activists" and reporting "social justice news".

The problem is there's no talented progressive talkers. That's what killed Air America. Maddow was the best that failed network had and even her talent is well below the conservative talkers.

Ed Schultz? I remember when his show hit the Seattle area it was quite good. Not just the liberal version of talk bluster, but he interviewed plenty of Democrat congresspeople at the time -- people who weren't usually interviewed on talk radio otherwise.

There may be talented progressive talkers. You're not going to hear them on terrestrial radio, but it doesn't mean they don't exist, or that one couldn't be developed.

Just remember, "social justice warriors" contribute quite a bit to maintain 94.9 as-is. It is one of the few stations these Wallingford basement dwellers can receive that isn't 100% pumping out "The Man's" news!

I look at it like WCBS/WINS in NYC. One is more popular in-city, the other more popular in the 'burbs. Trust me, there ain't nearly as many SJW types in far-flung locales such as Kent or Lynnwood.

What I'd like to hope for is a more run of the mill NPR news station out here (NWPR's news station is a good start). Or better yet, just get rid of NPR all together. Not in the right-wing "defund it" camp, more like, it just sucks these days IMHO.

It started going downhill about 2-3 years ago and reached its peak when Keillor retired and left that young punk to run APHC.

Now my Saturday evenings consist of me angrily smoking homemade cigarettes and drinking illegally smuggled Yuengling beer on the porch, monitoring for neighborhood children to yell at for stepping on my lawn.

Radio-X

The only NPR program I semi-listen to nowadays is the funny 'Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!' with Peter Sagal and Bill Kurtis. Love when Paula Poundstone and Tom Bodett are on the show. Sagal was in Yakima several months ago but I was working and unavailable. He was here for a non-'Wait Wait' reason, they weren't taping here. But they have been to the Paramount Theatre in Seattle at least once.
BTW I hate screaming children too!! I live in an apartment complex and feel like yelling at time many times. If you want to scream while playing, why don't Mommy and Daddy take you to the park...or better yet, buy a house with their own yard - or even...!! out at recess in school! We have 120 tenants who don't really want to hear endless screaming during summer vacation. And I'm not 65 years old yet!

>>>Just get rid of NPR altogether<<<

Hey, NPR is more popular than ever, thanks to the Trump Bump. Not just Seattle but Boston has two NPR stations in the top 10. I'm not sure that's ever happened, let alone happen in two large markets at the same time. NPR stations are #1 in San Francisco, Washington DC and San Diego. And they're near the top in places like Raleigh, Portland and Austin. Just about every NPR station is enjoying higher ratings than they have for a long time.

>>>Just get rid of NPR altogether<<<

Hey, NPR is more popular than ever, thanks to the Trump Bump. Not just Seattle but Boston has two NPR stations in the top 10. I'm not sure that's ever happened, let alone happen in two large markets at the same time. NPR stations are #1 in San Francisco, Washington DC and San Diego. And they're near the top in places like Raleigh, Portland and Austin. Just about every NPR station is enjoying higher ratings than they have for a long time.

And if NPR weren't doing so well, the calls to get rid of it from people who don't care for its content and perceived biases wouldn't be as many or as loud, would they? I can't speak for the quoted poster's motivations -- maybe he's just against government funding of ANY media -- but no one on the right would be demanding the demise of NPR if no one were listening to NPR.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom